Old 5th December 2015, 05:26 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yes that's not bad at all.

Zavvi via Amazon marketplace are doing it for a couple of pounds less even with the usual £1.26 postage.

Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: Ghost Stories for Christmas (Expanded 6-Disc Collection Box Set) [DVD]
Just ordered that – thanks.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 5th December 2015, 06:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Just ordered that – thanks.
You're going to have some terrific first time viewing this December Nos.
Old 5th December 2015, 06:23 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You're going to have some terrific first time viewing this December Nos.
I hope so!
Old 5th December 2015, 11:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Prancer (1989)

Excellent Christmas family film that's not clogged down with thick treacle like schmaltz. The story, about a young girl and her father who come across an injured reindeer on a snowy road is fairly slight but is built up with fine characterization which eschews the usual tired villains films of this ilk tend to drag out to add story and tension.

Rebecca Harrell as Jessica, the eight year old star of the film completely rules each and every scene she's in with a very believable performance. When you think she has co-stars such as Sam Elliott and Cloris Leachman this is no mean feat.

The reindeer - Prancer - is a real animal, no CGI involved at all. The film's magic comes from it's feel of being 'real' with realistic characters rather than studio creations, making Prancer an enjoyably sincere film that both children and adults can appreciate.

A film in the same bracket as the excellent Fly Away Home rather than the talking chipmunks, dancing penguins nonsense that seems prevalent nowadays.

Old 6th December 2015, 05:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's A Wonderful Life.
Scrooge (Alister Simm) The best one IMO.
Scrooge (Albert Finney)
Scrooge (George C. Scott)
Scrooge (Patrick Stewart).
Home Alone.
The Phantom Carriage.
The Polar Express
Scrooge (animated Jim Carey)
Miracle On 34th Street (Original)
Gremlins.

Last edited by tele1962; 6th December 2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 6th December 2015, 12:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Stalls of Barchester (1971) A Ghost Story for Christmas

The Stalls of Barchester (1971)
At first the The Stalls of Barchester (1971) didn't really impress me, but with several re-watches the story and film definitely grew on me. I think it took awhile for the story to sink in, its not an obvious ghost story, well not to me, It has a rather convoluted plot that doesn't necessarily grab you instantly but if you take the time to re-watch the film the plot and its intricacies soon become apparent.( I may be a bit slow so that might explain that problem) The story originally appeared in the 1911 collection More Ghost Stories .It starts with Clive Swift as Dr. Black cataloguing the library at Barchester Cathedral in 1932,the librarian shows him a box that contains an old diary about the unexplained death Dr Haynes (Robert Hardy), Dr Haynes is an Archdeacon in waiting, waiting that is for the actual Archdeacon ,Harold Bennett as Archdeacon Pulteney to die, unfortunately for Dr Haynes ,Pulteney does expire till he's 90 years old and that's after he trips over a loose stair rod and tumbles down the stairs to his death.At first the maid is blamed for not reporting the missing stair rod that tripped Archdeacon Puitlteney .Lawrence Gordon Clark directed the first in this rather excellent series of mini movies, it was broadcast 24 December 1971.Clark came from a background of documentary film making which is no surprise as the direction and filming are very straight forward but most believable,it shows you don't need fancy camerawork or fast editing or loud noise or shit blowing up to make a good film, all you need is talent and 16mm camera.(Norwich cathedral was filmed on location with a 16mm) Also the cast is a wonderful mixture of sitcom actors Clive Swift ,Harold Bennett (young Mr Grace) soap actress Thelma Barlow and the great Robert Hardy.This is definitely one of the slower paced stories but once I had got my head around the tale it was a rewarding watch,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg protectedimage.jpg (43.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg sob2a.jpg (79.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg sob3a.jpg (79.7 KB, 3 views)

Old 6th December 2015, 03:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Stalls of Barchester is delightfully funny as everyone waits for the Archdeacon to die.
Old 7th December 2015, 07:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Ash Tree (1975) A Ghost Story for Christmas

The Ash Tree (1975)
M,R,James takes on the well worn story of witch hunting and witches.Directed by Lawrence Gordon Clark,he freely admits this isn't one of his more successful adaptations. And although its not as spooky as previous efforts it sure is a weirdy one, in fact its not miles away in tone as say A Field In England and also that other British horror weirdness Blood on Satan's Claw.It does feel like hallucinatory dream at times especially the burning of the tree self. It was certainly a brave choice adapting The Ash Tree as I'm sure there is more stories of James that would be easier to adapt to the small screen. Edward Petherbridge portrays both Sir Richard and Sir Matthew .when Sir Richard inherits stately manor and becomes Squire of Castringham, and with his new wife to be in tow Lalla Ward as Lady Augusta , he sets plans for an extension although in this case its not for new garage and granny flat but to have a new pew fitted in the family church. No need for planning permission or men in hi viz jackets holding there Theodolite's, no sir, but bugger who buried that old witch in our way, yes indeed old Barbara Ewing as Anne Mothersole is buried in consecrated ground. Mothersole was the local witch who was seen cavorting in the moonlight picking herbs and doing what witches do at night. Actually Mothersole played by Barbara Ewing is very much a buxom wench. Sir Mathews believes he witness's Mothersole turn into a hare after he spies her cutting twigs from the Ash tree. The stories cut between Sir Richard in the present and Sir Matthew in the past. I think the generalisation is that repressed men who are threatened by sexually aggressive women, should probably have the women be hung, or flogged or maybe burnt.The story is lacking some momentum but there is startling imagery as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ashtree1.jpg (21.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ashtree3.jpg (26.8 KB, 4 views)

Old 7th December 2015, 07:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
The Ash Tree (1975)
My favourite of them all.
Old 7th December 2015, 09:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

You had me at Lalla Ward.

Like this? Share it using the links below!