Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree3037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th December 2018, 06:56 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Great to see you enjoyed Santa's Slay, Justin - it's such a blast. Stupid Christmas nonsense, in the best way

Popped on Christmas Evil last night. Excellent horror, very much like the festive version of Maniac. A little slow for what I was expecting, but the ending is brilliant. For me though, the king of Christmas horror HAS to be Silent Night Deadly Night - one of my fave slashers of all time.

Also watched a Christmas episode of Tales From The Darkside called Season Of Believe. E. G. Marshall - Creepshow guy - makes up a story to scare his kids on Xmas Eve about a creature called.. The Grither. Say his name and he'll come find you. Pretty obvious twist but great fun ending. Well worth watching if you can

Old 26th December 2018, 11:57 AM
Cult Acolyte

Watching HOLIDAY INN (1942)

IrvingBerlinsHolidayInn.jpeg.jpg hi1.jpg
Old 26th December 2018, 03:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Watching HOLIDAY INN (1942)

Attachment 211431 Attachment 211432
Lovely film, but the 'Abraham' blackface sequence is very outdated.
Old 26th December 2018, 08:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fred Claus 2007.

Fred a repo man wants $50.000 to come up with the cash and bail money he phones his brother Santa. In exchange for the cash Santa tells Fred to come to North Pole and work for it while an auditor hopes to close the North Pole forever.

This is a good family comedy movie starring Vince Vaughn as Fred who hates his brother as we see early in the movie. Paul Giamatti as Santa is a laugh with a snowball fight that leads to a snowmobile fight. Kevin Spacey stars as Clyde the auditor who hates Santa since 1968 and tries to do what he can to close the North Pole. Good laughs for all 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 268x0w.jpg (51.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 26th December 2018, 09:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ok I know it's not a christmas film, but am watching The Skull (Eureka blu) with Cushing/Lee, it brings back fond memories of Hammer Horror nights with my family over Christmases long ago. Lots of fun, recommended for nostalgia purposes.
Old 31st December 2018, 12:49 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Finally got around to watching Don't Open Till Christmas last night after meaning to see it for years.

I absolutely loved it! A great sleazy, British slasher with touches of giallo. It seems to get quite a bit of hate on IMDb, but I thought it was ace. The film is set around London, with a masked killer going round killing anyone dressed up as Santa.

The kills are great - one Santa gets his face shoved into hot oil before his head bursts into flames. Another Santa gets stabbed whilst at a peep show. And, the best of the bunch, one Santa gets his...member... cut off with a razor blade whilst taking a piss. It has a surprisingly large body count too - about 14 I think.

Very sleazy - lots of boobies. It's interesting too to see London back in the 80s - I had no idea peep shows were like that. Hilarious dialogue too - no surprise then that it's directed by one of the stars of Pieces

For me, Don't Open Till Christmas is now my favourite festive horror film, along with Silent Night Deadly Night. Pure fun (often unintentional)

Old 31st December 2018, 01:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
For me, Don't Open Till Christmas is now my favourite festive horror film, along with Silent Night Deadly Night. Pure fun (often unintentional)
It's my fave festive horror too. There's a murder every seven minutes. You really can't get a better slasher flick than that.
Old 31st December 2018, 01:12 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's my fave festive horror too. There's a murder every seven minutes. You really can't get a better slasher flick than that.

Hear hear! I don't get the hate it seems to get. It's so much fun - needs to be seen by more people. I see there's a Blu-ray of the film now too - might have to pick that up for next Christmas
Old 31st December 2018, 01:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Hear hear! I don't get the hate it seems to get. It's so much fun - needs to be seen by more people. I see there's a Blu-ray of the film now too - might have to pick that up for next Christmas
The fact that it's British and stars Alan Lake makes it seem even scuzzier.
Old 31st December 2018, 02:05 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
One of my festive faves as well, Kyle.

Like this? Share it using the links below!