Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th December 2020, 12:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Home Alone. 1990.

When the McCallister's leave for their Christmas Vacation, they leave behind troublesome 8 year old son Kevin. When robbers plan to break into the houses while everyone is away, Kevin tries to outsmart them by setting up traps in and around the house.

A good family film that can never be hated full of laughs and a bit of drama, but what would you expect from a John Hughes production, it's always amazing how kids in films manage to outsmart their parents, I tried to outsmart my dad or be a smart ass still got grounded.

John Heard plays the laid back father and Catherine O' Hara plays the mother who's maternal instincts kick in when she realises she has left her son at home...while on a plane heading to Paris. After being in Uncle Buck, Macaulay Culkin got the lead role as 8 year old Kevin defending his house fro the burglars Harry and Marv played brilliantly by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern. Pesci seems to be the smart thinking and quick to realise what's going on while Stern plays the tall dim witted out of the duo. Robert Blossom plays the weird looking neighbour who Kevin is afraid of and slowly warms up to him.

Ok we know a 8 year old could probably not think of all the traps that were set up but were comical to see Harry and Marv fall for them, respect to the stunt performers with the stairs and the reaction from them especially Marv, seriously that had to hurt.

hqdefault.jpg
Old 4th December 2020, 06:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Polar Express. 2004.

On Christmas Eve, a young boy embarks on a journey to the North Pole and discovers adventure, friends and the meaning of Christmas.

I have to say that I adored The Polar Express from the first time I saw when It was released and still adore it. It was just the sort of film I needed to truly get me into the Christmas mood. The story revolves around a young boy, who is coming to an age where he is doubting Santa Claus' existence, until the Polar Express, a magical train destined for the North Pole, takes him and a group of other young children on a journey to Santa and to reaffirm their faith in Christmas.

With CGI effects that are used in movies they never seem to work and make the film look shit but for animation it works wonders even with Robert Zemeckis at the helm. It does have it's funny moments and more touching moments on discovering what the spirit of Christmas means and a great background score.

The_Polar_Express_(2004)_poster.jpg
Old 4th December 2020, 07:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
A bit of a change to what I was going to watch first.

Krampus. 2015

A family having a dysfunctional time, Max turns his back on Christmas and accidentally summons Krampus, a ancient demon who comes for non-believers at christmas time.

What I like about this film is the start with all the mad shoppers in one store, fighting over anything and everything..welcome to Black Friday in stores and a fight at a nativity play, even though it is a stressful time for all those involved, adults and children. Even though it's based on the German legend Krampen who is supposed to whip children into behaving, instead decides a alternate form of punishment is required,by trapping them in a ornament. The acting is done decently and even though it is a horror there is limited blood and gore it seems to be left to the viewers on what has happened once they are taking by the evil toys.

Attachment 229791
My wife's fave xmas film! She insists on watching it first every year. Love it!
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 4th December 2020, 07:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Die Hard. They say it's not Christmas until you've seen Hans Gruber fall off Nakotomi Tower, so what better way to kick off my festive movie season than with this classic 1988 action flick as Bruce Willis takes on Alan Rickman and a whole bunch of guntoting "terrorists" on Christmas Eve. I thoroughly enjoyed this, still a classic, and you know what? I do feel more festive already!
Old 4th December 2020, 09:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Die Hard. They say it's not Christmas until you've seen Hans Gruber fall off Nakotomi Tower, so what better way to kick off my festive movie season than with this classic 1988 action flick as Bruce Willis takes on Alan Rickman and a whole bunch of guntoting "terrorists" on Christmas Eve. I thoroughly enjoyed this, still a classic, and you know what? I do feel more festive already!
Total agree it's not Christmas to me until I see Hans falling .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ae3PvgB_460s.jpg (14.0 KB, 2 views)
iank and MrBarlow like this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 4th December 2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 4th December 2020, 10:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scrooge. 1935.

The 1935 British film of "A Christmas Carol" is almost in the league, Among other things, it preserves, in sound, the performance of one of the legendary Scrooges of the English stage, Sir Seymour Hicks, who definitely does not disappoint.

The performances of the rest of the cast are on the same level, with Oscar Asche's Falstaffian Ghost of Christmas Present a particular standout. And, although this is probably the one major film version of the story where you don't actually see Marley's Ghost, the anonymous actor who provides his voice.

Hicks did a silent version of Scrooge in 1913, it was his screen debut. What we are seeing here an adaption of the play Hicks did by writer H. Fowler Mear, which has seemed to vanish from youtube as it was seen last year.

Scrooge1935_icon.jpg
Old 4th December 2020, 10:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Die Hard 2 (1990)

As far as sequels go this is superior stuff that almost rivals the original for sheer excitement and fun, not to mention classic one liners from Bruce Willis as the iconic John McClane.

Taut, tense and thrilling as well as featuring one of the great movie plane crashes, Die Hard 2 is a movie that always does the business for me.

Best line - McClane to himself -"John, what the **** are you doin' out on the wing of this plane?"

Probably more of a Christmas movie than Die Hard!
Old 5th December 2020, 12:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Santa's Slay. 2005.

Santa is really the son of Satan, when a angel places a bet and Santa looses he must be kind for the next 1000 years, when the bet finishes Santa returns back to his evil self and goes on a killing spree on Christmas Day.

This was more comedy than horror, Wrestler Bill Goldberg stars as Santa looking for the Earthed Angel who he lost a bet with as to killing those who are naughty and nice. Robert Culp plays the Angel who is preparing for Santa's return, there is a small cameo by James Caan which is a laugh, this is definatly not to be taken seriously unless you want a good laugh and creative kills in a 70 minute long movie (extra scene after the credits).

santa-slay-slider.jpg
Old 5th December 2020, 06:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Christmas Carol. 1951.

Re-telling the story of the old miser Scrooge.

The joy of watching this version has never left me, Alastair Sim as Scrooge, seems to provide everything that you could want in the part, This is one of the best versions or the best. I was going to leave it till Christmas Eve or Christmas Day but Angela wanted to watch it.

Every time I see this film I find myself captivated by the way Sim manages to find an inner character to Scrooge, one that has not previously revealed itself. The young Scrooge played by George Cole, may not be the nasty money grabbing character whilst interacting with his sister, working for Fezziwig, or courting Alice, but he doesn't have that intoxicated happiness.

The other part I have always enjoyed is that of Kathleen Harrison as Mrs Dilber. Throughout she plays the put upon house keeper with great style. Mervyn Johns as Bob Cratchit is a bit more touching and heartwarming as he seems to get in to his character very well. Michael Horden plays Jacob Marley and this version does show how they came to know each other and both had the greed for money.

CHRISTMAS-CAROL-7547.jpg
Old 5th December 2020, 07:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sint. 2010.

When ever there is a full moon on December 5th, fallen Bishop St. Niklas comes not to give but to slaughter, young teen Frank who has seen his friends die teams up with a policeman who's family was killed and hopes to get even.

From director of Amsterdamned and Der Lift Dick Maas knows how to give out a good chill factor horror film that's really not for children. In this the Jolly old guy who gives out presents is a murderous zombie with a boat load of crew who have a dark murderous streak in them that is always to enjoy for viewing at this time.

Apparantly in the Netherlands the film caused a stir before it went to theatres as the promotional posters were hung up showing a mutilated Saint Nicholas in public for young children to see and some people were a tad upset by this, yet the director saw it as cost free publicity, I bet the schools here won't do the secret Santa the way the Dutch schools do

sint-banner.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!