Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree3037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd November 2021, 08:47 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Is it too early to watch Christmas films?

Probably, just, however i like to get the non Gothic Ghost Stories for Christmas watched prior to the decorations going up and that Christmassy vibe takes over.

The Ice House (1978)

A quietly creepy entry in the Ghost Stories for Christmas series that the BBC show intermittently.

Whilst barely a ghost story this is still a bit of a delight. The whole thing echoes the sense of dread that many of these dramas envelop themselves in, but rather than showcasing the Gothic trappings of MR James this is a modern day set drama in which it becomes obvious that the more times the immortal line "There is only ice in the ice house" is uttered that there's clearly something else as well as ice in the ice house.

The whole thing has an ambiguous approach and i'm still not convinced i understand the final scene but it's still rather enjoyable and creepy.

Stigma (1977)

Stigma is certainly the most disturbing of all the Ghost Stories For Christmas. Set in the present day, well present day 1977, it's the final film of the series from director Lawrence Gordon Clark.

Where this differs from the MR James adaptations is that the subtleties of Gothic horror are long gone, Stigma melds Folk horror with what can only be described as full on body horror. The story which involves stone circles and ritual execution disturbs me more than most horror films. Kate Binchy's performance in a difficult lead role as a regular woman and mother who becomes afflicted with the stigma of bleeding uncontrollably is superb and very unsettling because it's done all so matter of factly. There's no big build up, no hysterics, she simply attempts to deal with her body bleeding for no apparent reason as best she can.

Stigma ends up being very chilling, very grim and very good but not what i'd call a fun ride.
Old 1st December 2021, 01:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984)

The story concerns a young man suffering post-traumatic stress from witnessing his parents' murder on Christmas Eve by a man disguised as Santa Claus and his subsequent upbringing in an abusive Catholic orphanage. Once out of the orphanage and into a new job at a toy store the Christmas holiday joy gives him a psychological breakdown and he goes on a killing spree dressed as Santa.

One of the better Christmas slasher films out there with some decent levels of brutality and one outstanding kill scene involving a topless Linnea Quigley and a pair of wall mounted antlers.

Highly controversial at the time due to alleged traumatized children thanks to the imagery of a killer Santa Claus but now it simply comes across as run of the mill when we have the likes of cinematic killers Freddy, Jason and Michael Myers adored by kids all over the world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51hwkSk7JjL._AC_.jpg (30.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 1st December 2021, 02:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scrooge. 1935.

This not be my favourite version at only 80 minutes, everything seems rushed from start to finish but Seymour Hicks does his best to be the greedy old miser who is given a chance to mend his ways and Donald Calthrop as his assistant Bob Cratchit. We don't really see Marley's ghost in this we just hear his voice and Oscar Asche as the jolly Ghost of Christmas Present seems to try and over act a bit.

Scrooge1935_icon.jpg
Old 1st December 2021, 03:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Scrooge. 1935.

This not be my favourite version at only 80 minutes, everything seems rushed from start to finish but Seymour Hicks does his best to be the greedy old miser who is given a chance to mend his ways and Donald Calthrop as his assistant Bob Cratchit. We don't really see Marley's ghost in this we just hear his voice and Oscar Asche as the jolly Ghost of Christmas Present seems to try and over act a bit.

Attachment 237898
I love the black and white versions of A Christmas Carol. They have the atmosphere that colour versions don't especially the Alistair Sim film. That's beautifully atmospheric.

Part of me would like that on Blu-ray but another part simply wants to stick with a scratchy print as that adds to the charm.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 1st December 2021, 06:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I love the black and white versions of A Christmas Carol. They have the atmosphere that colour versions don't especially the Alistair Sim film. That's beautifully atmospheric.

Part of me would like that on Blu-ray but another part simply wants to stick with a scratchy print as that adds to the charm.
Alistair Sim's is on my list for tomorrow
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 1st December 2021, 07:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Alistair Sim's is on my list for tomorrow
Way too early for Sim for me. It's one i like to watch when i've at least got the tree up.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 1st December 2021, 08:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

December is here again so on to Decemberdike. 39 films saved up and only 32 days to watch (including New Years Day).

Reviews to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9374 (Large).jpg (95.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9375 (Large).jpg (89.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 1st December 2021, 08:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Christmas Chronicles. 2018.

Brother and sister Teddy and Kate try to get evidence of Santa's Claus's existence which sends them on a strange journey on Christmas Eve.

Great family friendly movie with Kurt Russell as the jolly old Saint Nick who lives by the riles but ends up breaking a few of them while trying to save Christmas after a crash landing. There may be a bit too much CGI used with the Elves but the visual effects are good along with some great comedy and Russell singing like Elvis again. Gotta say Goldie Hawn has got better with age.

christmas-chronicles.jpg
Old 2nd December 2021, 12:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Santa's Slay. 2005.

Santa is a demon from hell, when he places a wager with a angel, Santa must be good for a thousand years, now the bet is at a end.

Definitely a B movie that shouldn't be taken as a serious horror more along with comedy horror right from the start, wrestler Bill Goldberg plays the not so jolly Saint Nick who wants to spread some yuletide fear his own way and going after the earthbound angel Robert Gulp. Goldberg is given some good one liners and given a reindeer that somehow looks like a buffalo to guide his sleigh.

91pRomCSC3L._AC_SY445_.jpg
Old 2nd December 2021, 06:22 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
December is here again so on to Decemberdike. 39 films saved up and only 32 days to watch (including New Years Day).

Reviews to come.
Always love to see you draw in the end of the year, you have some nice movies there. looking forward for that reviews
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!