Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th December 2022, 08:09 AM
Cult Master

Default You can now sue film companies if the trailers are 'misleading' or 'deceptive'!

The outcome of this is potentially going to open a huge can of worms!

Ana de Armas fans told they can sue over Yesterday trailer / BBC News
"...Film studio Universal can be sued for false advertising after fans complained a movie trailer was misleading, a US judge has ruled.

Two fans of the actress Ana de Armas filed a lawsuit in January after renting the 2019 film Yesterday.

The actress was seen in the trailer, but the pair were disappointed to find she had been cut from the final film.

The plaintiffs, Conor Woulfe and Peter Michael Rosza, each paid $3.99 (£3.31) to rent Yesterday on Amazon Prime.

Woulfe and Rosza are seeking at least $5 million (£4.1m) from Universal in the case, which has been filed as a class action on behalf of other disappointed fans.

The pair argued they would not have paid the money to rent the film if they had known the actress did not feature in it.

California US district judge Stephen Wilson ruled that their legal action can go ahead...."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th December 2022, 02:59 PM
Cultist

If this was around 6 months ago I would have seriously been contemplating a case against Dune.

The trailer purposefully makes it out the Zendaya has a significant part in the story and one of the stars of the film and also she plays a major driving part of the plot / motivations of the hero.

Yet she is in the film for maybe 10 minutes right at the end and says maybe 5 lines of dialogue and none of it was of any significance at all.
Old 25th December 2022, 01:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Can you do that with Paramount? When Paranormal Activity 3 trailer was released I was a bit hyped but a few bits were missing from the actual film.
Old 25th December 2022, 10:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I don't believe that this is a frivolous Lawsuit.

I do wonder whether the practice of putting a major star's name and picture (prominently) on a poster, only to be in it for a small amount of time will be next?
Old 26th December 2023, 02:47 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
The outcome of this is potentially going to open a huge can of worms!

Ana de Armas fans told they can sue over Yesterday trailer / BBC News
"...Film studio Universal can be sued for false advertising after fans complained a movie trailer was misleading, a US judge has ruled.

Two fans of the actress Ana de Armas filed a lawsuit in January after renting the 2019 film Yesterday.

The actress was seen in the trailer, but the pair were disappointed to find she had been cut from the final film.

The plaintiffs, Conor Woulfe and Peter Michael Rosza, each paid $3.99 (£3.31) to rent Yesterday on Amazon Prime.

Woulfe and Rosza are seeking at least $5 million (£4.1m) from Universal in the case, which has been filed as a class action on behalf of other disappointed fans.

The pair argued they would not have paid the money to rent the film if they had known the actress did not feature in it.

California US district judge Stephen Wilson ruled that their legal action can go ahead...."
Ana de Armas: Judge throws out legal action over Yesterday film trailer / BBC News

"...the judge dismissed their legal action, adding that their decision to rent the film a second time on a different streaming service just in case de Armas appeared in that version was a "self-inflicted injury"..."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th December 2023, 08:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Can we at least sue them for making garbage?
Old 27th December 2023, 01:46 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Can we at least sue them for making garbage?
You didn't like Yesterday? I thought it was a film with a great concept, an amusing, feelgood script from Richard Curtis, was well directed by Danny Boyle, and had a fantastic soundtrack. Even Ed Sheeran was watchable.
Old 27th December 2023, 04:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
I don't believe that this is a frivolous Lawsuit.

I do wonder whether the practice of putting a major star's name and picture (prominently) on a poster, only to be in it for a small amount of time will be next?
It's America what do you expect they sue anyone for anything, it's a well known suing culture. Making a complaint and asking for your money back under the circumstances yes that I agree, but I always think we're do they get the idea of that amount of money, not like anyone been hurt or anything that made them give up their job due to some illness or something. It's crazy.
Old 27th December 2023, 05:29 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Ana de Armas: Judge throws out legal action over Yesterday film trailer / BBC News

"...the judge dismissed their legal action, adding that their decision to rent the film a second time on a different streaming service just in case de Armas appeared in that version was a "self-inflicted injury"..."
I know we are talking about it, but the legal action was dismissed four months ago!

Like this? Share it using the links below!