Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2016, 06:44 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default Metrodome to Enter Administration

Sad and uncertain times for arthouse cinema in Britain as Metrodome has fired all its staff and formally entered administration. They have distributed some superb films, seemingly are about to (that is a bit up in the air at the moment), and will be missed by world cinema fans.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016...administration
Old 17th August 2016, 06:54 PM
Cult Veteran

It seems that 101 Films has acquired some of their titles from the administrator.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th August 2016, 06:56 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I could see this one coming, unfortunately.

The amount of modern films they've released in the past few years solely on DVD signaled that they were struggling financially. Sad times for film fans though.
Old 17th August 2016, 07:05 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It seems that 101 Films has acquired some of their titles from the administrator.
That's good news – I hope they are all acquired and released by other companies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I could see this one coming, unfortunately.

The amount of modern films they've released in the past few years solely on DVD signaled that they were struggling financially. Sad times for film fans though.
True enough, and this post-Brexit economic world with a weak sterling doesn't make things any easier for companies. I read this week that (some may consider this a good thing) that the sequel to the Mrs Brown's Boys movie has been delayed because of the way costs have increased as the pound has fallen against other currencies. I hope it isn't a sign of things to come.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 17th August 2016, 07:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'm not sure what they have released but they don't have the rights or so it seems for any big seller.

Reading the article not one of the films mentioned had i heard of apart from Down Terrace and Frances Ha, neither of which i own but keep meaning to pick up Frances Ha.

It's possible their sales model was a mess. Perhaps expecting big sales of what are niche films, whilst also attempting to cater to all tastes.

I've just scanned four large piles of dvd's in my collection and come across one Metrodome title - Juan of the Dead.

I'm guessing they didn't really cater for cult fans as some companies do, Cult fans who actually buy things like ourselves.
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th August 2016, 07:34 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm guessing they didn't really cater for cult fans as some companies do, Cult fans who actually buy things like ourselves.
They had released some decent titles but mainly concentrated on acquiring the rights to new films - a fair few of which I'd rented via Love Film over the past few years.

Metrodome UK releases
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th August 2016, 07:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That's good news – I hope they are all acquired and released by other companies.

True enough, and this post-Brexit economic world with a weak sterling doesn't make things any easier for companies. I read this week that (some may consider this a good thing) that the sequel to the Mrs Brown's Boys movie has been delayed because of the way costs have increased as the pound has fallen against other currencies. I hope it isn't a sign of things to come.
Yes and no,
If the sequels to be delayed then its a blessing in disguise, the first film was beyond terrible and awful. And time you wont get back
Shame considering i love the show and seen them live.
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th August 2016, 09:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
They had released some decent titles but mainly concentrated on acquiring the rights to new films - a fair few of which I'd rented via Love Film over the past few years.

Metrodome UK releases
See, it's people like you who pay a fiver a month and expect to get everything for nothing after that.

If you spent some cash then British companies would stay afloat.

Seriously though. Blaming you aside, that's probably one big reason why they are going under. I looked at a few of the pages you linked to and everything was sort of stream before buy type stuff and Witchfinder General aside none of it was what you'd call exciting. I know, i own a few of them - Apocalypse of the Dead etc.

The only ones of note were two Taxi films and Ils. All of which were released probably ten years back now.
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th August 2016, 09:55 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
See, it's people like you who pay a fiver a month and expect to get everything for nothing after that.

If you spent some cash then British companies would stay afloat.

Seriously though. Blaming you aside, that's probably one big reason why they are going under. I looked at a few of the pages you linked to and everything was sort of stream before buy type stuff and Witchfinder General aside none of it was what you'd call exciting. I know, i own a few of them - Apocalypse of the Dead etc.

The only ones of note were two Taxi films and Ils. All of which were released probably ten years back now.
If they released them on Blu, I might have bought them rather than having to import! A prime example is the remake of The Town that Dreaded Sundown which arrived from Love Film tonight and is a Metrodome title. If I enjoy it enough to want to own it then I will import a Blu rather than pick-up Metrodome's DVD. Other titles of theirs I've seen through rental that I will also need to import include Big Bad Wolves, Coherence, Rigor Mortis, Spring, Starry Eyes, The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears...

They have released a fair amount of stuff and some of their titles I do own (The Maniac remake, What We Do in the Shadows), but as you say a lot of it seems to be horror cheapies that is stream before you buy/poundland fodder.
Old 17th August 2016, 10:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
If they released them on Blu, I might have bought them rather than having to import! A prime example is the remake of The Town that Dreaded Sundown which arrived from Love Film tonight and is a Metrodome title. If I enjoy it enough to want to own it then I will import a Blu rather than pick-up Metrodome's DVD. Other titles of theirs I've seen through rental that I will also need to import include Big Bad Wolves, Coherence, Rigor Mortis, Spring, Starry Eyes, The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears...

They have released a fair amount of stuff and some of their titles I do own (The Maniac remake, What We Do in the Shadows), but as you say a lot of it seems to be horror cheapies that is stream before you buy/poundland fodder.
I really need to get Spring, been on the radar for months but never got round to clicking that 'buy' button.. Coherence sounds good too. I might pick them up from HMV as both are in the 2 for a tenner dvd offer.

Like this? Share it using the links below!