Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2021, 10:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Don't know about the end of physical media.

I received an email from HMV tonight advertising three cassettes for £20.

It's 1985 all over again.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 30th March 2021, 11:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Don't know about the end of physical media.

I received an email from HMV tonight advertising three cassettes for £20.

It's 1985 all over again.
Some people still buy vhs some thing never fully disappear after all vinyl make a small comeback.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.s...united-states/

Continuing one of the more surprising comebacks of the digital age, vinyl album sales in the United States have grown for the 15th consecutive year. In 2020, 27.5 million LPs were sold in the United States, up 46 percent compared to 2019 and more than 30-fold compared to 2006 when the vinyl comeback began.

So how big is vinyl's comeback really? Should we all dust off our old record players to prepare for the future of music? According to MRC Data's 2020 Year-End Music report, LPs accounted for 27 percent of album sales in the United States, which is quite substantial. Factoring in streaming and downloads of single tracks, however, that number drops to 3.6 percent of album equivalent music consumption, which puts things in perspective.

However small the impact of rising LP sales on the music industry’s bottom line may be, it’s still interesting to witness a hundred year-old technology come back from near extinction. Here's to hoping we don't need to dig up our old VHS tapes for the future of video consumption
Old 9th July 2021, 06:51 AM
Cult Master

Sainsbury's stops selling CDs and DVDs / BBC News

"Supermarket giant Sainsbury's says it has decided to stop selling CDs and DVDs as streaming services take their toll on sales of the products.

A spokesperson said Sainsbury's customers increasingly went for music and films online instead of buying the shiny silver discs.

The firm said sales were being phased out, although it would continue to sell vinyl records in some stores.

Other big supermarkets show no sign of following Sainsbury's lead, with larger branches of Tesco, Asda and Morrisons still stocking a range of CDs and DVDs."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 9th July 2021, 09:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Sainsbury's stops selling CDs and DVDs / BBC News

"Supermarket giant Sainsbury's says it has decided to stop selling CDs and DVDs as streaming services take their toll on sales of the products.

A spokesperson said Sainsbury's customers increasingly went for music and films online instead of buying the shiny silver discs.

The firm said sales were being phased out, although it would continue to sell vinyl records in some stores.

Other big supermarkets show no sign of following Sainsbury's lead, with larger branches of Tesco, Asda and Morrisons still stocking a range of CDs and DVDs."
i thought they stopped years ago, the store closet too me has not sold media for years
Old 9th July 2021, 11:47 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

People on here said their local Sainsbury's gave up with cd and dvd back in January.

It's a pity because last year they got a varied selection of blu-rays in stock including from StudioCanal and Arrow but this year has been pretty poor and nothing much has changed other than films like Justice League and Godzilla vs Kong being released.

Asda do vary their blu's. For example they have a load of Fast and Furious ones currently on the shelf to cash in on the new film.
Old 5th August 2021, 09:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thought this would be apter here tbh ...

Movie Hoarders: From VHS to Dvd to Beyond (2020, Tony Newton)

Various hipsters eulogize about their love of "the piece", something that maybe slightly familiar to those here
Ahem. Whilst I felt it could have been edited somewhat, similar sentiments voiced in incremental shades of difference detracting from the overall joy of merely looking behind them at what they had on display
I may merely be peeved as not all of them gave you a "tour" as such. We could all sit there and parrot "Me? Films? Just the odd thousand etc" ahem.

It also has that fake sheen of vhs, one sound effect becoming increasingly annoying. So watch at your own risk is what I'm saying. Some of it will make you sigh and go "awww" and some of it will make you take a claw hammer to your tv. Ahem.
Next!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th August 2021, 10:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

My local Sainsbury's has now done away with dvd, Blu-ray, cd and games.

Do you know what is now in their space?

A big fat nothing. Just open floor.

They've moved their books and shoved them on the same isle as the magazines. Meaning they've lost a lot of magazine space too.

Naturally The Dark Side is one of the titles no longer stocked.

Unless they completely sold out in a week since the latest was published. WH Smith at Preston Deepdale shopping area didn't stock it either.
Old 12th August 2021, 10:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

HUG

I get my TDS from a local newsagent D. Any in your area??? There's always the sub of course ahem.

The local Tesco (my only outlet now ... Ballardian AF) only stocks mainstream and are lazy AF (still Tenet sits there mocking me).

HUG.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 13th August 2021 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12th August 2021, 11:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
HUG

I get my TDS from a local newagent D. Any in your area??? There's always the sub of course ahem.

The local Tesco (my only outlet now ... Ballardian AF) only stocks mainstream and are lazy AF (still Tenet sits there mocking me).

HUG.
Thanks, D. Hug appreciated.

I don't know any newsagent that stock it.* I have thought about a sub but am not really wanting every issue. I know that's heresy to say. I've bought a few recent ones both because of the Hammer features and the Humanoids from the Deep one too and also because of the sort of novelty of buying the mag from a store like Sainsbury's along with the groceries.

*Used to be a few - could buy DS, Fangoria and the brilliant Rue Morgue but they've all closed down sadly.
Old 13th August 2021, 08:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Changed days indeed D. Fingers crossed you find a solution then ...

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!