Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2017, 12:07 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
When we began TT in 2010 we figured on maybe lasting 5 or 6 years - we're now looking at 2020 as the end game which will mean we lasted 10 - not so bad in the grand scheme of things."

- Nick Redman
Considering I've bought thousands of discs from around the world, yet not a single one of them has been from Twilight Time, yes, their time may well be up soon.
Old 4th March 2017, 09:12 AM
Cultist

I'm wondering how long it will be before the vinyl bubble bursts tbh, I see it more as a blip more than anything else, more like a fashion accessory, a boutique thing, than an actual desire to hear music on that format*. I sorted out some of my stored hi-fi gear for my youngest daughter so she could have a turntable in her room, and when her friends come round it's all "wow , a record player, vinyls, cooool! ", and then they all sit around listening to stuff on their phones...aaarggghhhh!
I understand about economies of scale and that but I'm guessing vinyl will never return to the volumes it previously enjoyed and so the unit prices will remain as they are, but as someone who's bought records since 1980 I now find myself priced out of the new vinyl market. Luckily the music I love best is underground Punk/HC/metal noisy stuff and the prices are usually kept as low as possible (but then postage kills...aaarrggghhhh again!).

* Not knocking anyone here obviously as it's a forum celebrating collecting and enjoying THINGS!
Old 2nd April 2017, 09:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroid View Post
I'm wondering how long it will be before the vinyl bubble bursts tbh, I see it more as a blip more than anything else, more like a fashion accessory, a boutique thing, than an actual desire to hear music on that format*. I sorted out some of my stored hi-fi gear for my youngest daughter so she could have a turntable in her room, and when her friends come round it's all "wow , a record player, vinyls, cooool! ", and then they all sit around listening to stuff on their phones...aaarggghhhh!
I understand about economies of scale and that but I'm guessing vinyl will never return to the volumes it previously enjoyed and so the unit prices will remain as they are, but as someone who's bought records since 1980 I now find myself priced out of the new vinyl market. Luckily the music I love best is underground Punk/HC/metal noisy stuff and the prices are usually kept as low as possible (but then postage kills...aaarrggghhhh again!).

* Not knocking anyone here obviously as it's a forum celebrating collecting and enjoying THINGS!
THINGS INDEED
Ahem. When I found the Frozen ST in Fopp ... I thought "Now whom is that for??".
But then I never saw vinyl "die" ... just kept hearing this from the trendsetters. The older I get the more I titter at pundits who try and predict things.
But what do I know? I've gone back to rewinding tapes

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd April 2017, 11:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

What I find odd is the current Vinyl craze isn't so much about collecting great music on vinyl to listen to but more about having the latest fab gadget, for example how many new record decks are hooked up to a hi-fi system in the lounge for listening compared to hooked up to a PC in a bedroom just to impress techy mates, I have to laugh when I see "convert vinyl to mp3 via usb" totally missing the point of the analogue sound quality, if I were to buy another turntable it would never go anywhere near my P.C.

as a sad note a elderly friend has binned a vast amount of VHS and dvd as "I just look it up on youtube to watch nowadays" not just youngsters abandoning physical media either.
zeroid, keirarts and bleakshaun like this.
Old 3rd April 2017, 03:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
I have to laugh when I see "convert vinyl to mp3 via usb" totally missing the point of the analogue sound quality
To listen to when commuting?
keirarts and platostotal like this.
Old 3rd April 2017, 05:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
To listen to when commuting?
Oh yeah, but you could always get one of these... (no problems with this idea)

Old 3rd April 2017, 06:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

vinyl making a comeback, my son 24 and he was playing a old song on his tablet, i said i remember this im pretty sure i got this on 12 inch . He replied a what ?
Had to explain it to him
Old 7th April 2017, 11:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Did anyone read this article on Den of Geek?

Falling DVD & Blu-ray sales, and an era passing | Den of Geek

Generally i like the writing on the site but this is uninformed bollocks. How can you believe someone who says only 8-10 new dvds/blus get released each week?

I've just looked at HMV's releases for next week and counted 21 individual titles on the first page alone. Not Rogue One on blu, Rogue One on dvd, Rogue One as a single title. There are three pages of new releases next week and a similar three this week. 8-10 new titles a week - idiot!

Basing his whole article about a couple of indie films that struck streaming deals before retail then blatantly lying about the amount of new releases each week as proof that companies aren't releasing as much as they once did. he even had to edit his article as one of his case studies did come out on dvd/blu a short while later.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 7th April 2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 7th April 2017, 11:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Did anyone read this article on Den of Geek?

Falling DVD & Blu-ray sales, and an era passing | Den of Geek

Generally i like the writing on the site but this is uninformed bollocks. How can you believe someone who says only 8-10 new dvds/blus get released each week?

I've just looked at HMV's releases for next week and counted 21 individual titles on the first page alone. Not Rogue One on blu, Rogue One on dvd, Rogue One as a single title. There are three pages of new releases next week and a similar three this week. 8-10 new titles a week - idiot!

Basing his whole article about a couple of indie films that struck streaming deals before retail then blatantly lying about the amount of new releases each week as proof that companies aren't releasing as much as they once did. he even had to edit his article as one of his case studies did come out on dvd/blu a short while later.
I haven't read the article , But just about every film now gets a release on one of the formats, and there must be a minimum of 40 films a week worldwide getting released, probably more than that loads get released at cinema, some straight to dvd\blu that doesn't count films getting rereleased or TV shows etc ...
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by gag; 8th April 2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 9th April 2017, 10:53 AM
Seasoned Cultist

A conservative guess at the amount of titles released on physical media per week is north of twenty, there's normally at least ten titles I'm interested in

As things stand for me, releases outweigh spare cash available, and I'm relatively comfortable. For niche fans such as ourselves, it's never been so good.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!