Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   THE END OF PHYSICAL MEDIA? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/13527-end-physical-media.html)

Rob4 3rd March 2017 10:15 AM

THE END OF PHYSICAL MEDIA?

A post on Home Theatre Forum from Twilight Time seems to predict the end of the road will be around 2020

"Nothing much to add --- it is now a matter of common sense. Sales are cratering across the board for every label, although it is a good time for collectors with the product glut far outweighing an audience to buy it. Just as we predicted six years ago, the business has entirely devolved to third party licensees involved in a frenzy for the studios who now realize there is more money to be made in farming stuff out than releasing themselves. Greed though, always becomes a factor and the studios are driving up the licensing fees and advance guarantees in direct contradiction of the waning sales figures. We are entering the final phase of the physical media business with labels toying with more and more limited runs targeting those collectors that are left gamely trying to keep up - it's been a wild ride - and perhaps it will continue for a few years more. When we began TT in 2010 we figured on maybe lasting 5 or 6 years - we're now looking at 2020 as the end game which will mean we lasted 10 - not so bad in the grand scheme of things."

- Nick Redman

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd March 2017 11:14 AM

Whilst I don't foresee the end of physical for a long time yet I agree with Nick that it is certainly becoming more of a niche collector's market with the third party independents leading the charge in respect to getting releases out there. I think as long as there is enough of a collector mentality then physical media will always be around in some form - just look at the resurgence of vinyl over the past few years for instance.

I personally feel we're in a golden age for physical media as consumers at the moment. We're practically spoiled for choice and the independents are all in competition with each other in an increasingly shrinking market meaning that the quality of releases has increased as they attempt to hook in the fans to buy their releases over that of another label's.

Justin101 3rd March 2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 523420)
I personally feel we're in a golden age for physical media as consumers at the moment. We're practically spoiled for choice and the independents are all in competition with each other in an increasingly shrinking market meaning that the quality of releases has increased as they attempt to hook in the fans to buy their releases over that of another label's.

You only have to look at the releases which are coming out on the 27th March to illustrate this, I'm actually having to choose releases to buy rather than grab everything this time around :lol:

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Warner Bros.
Fright Night (Eureka Classics) Eureka Entertainment
House: The Complete Collection Arrow
Ludwig (Arrow Academy | Limited Edition) Arrow
Lone Wolf and Cub (子連れ狼 / Kozure Ôkami) Criterion
Multiple Maniacs (John Waters) Criterion
Pieces (Mil gritos tiene la noche | Limited Edition) Arrow
Dead or Alive Trilogy (Dead or Alive / Dead or Alive 2: Birds / Dead or Alive: Final) Arrow
2019: After the Fall of New York (Dopo la caduta di New York / The Italian Collection No. 27) 88 Films
Killer Constable (萬人斬 / Wan ren zan) 88 Films
Aenigma (The Italian Collection No. 23) 88 Films
Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest (Slasher Classics Collection No. 15) 88 Films
Die Screaming, Marianne Screenbound Pictures

I added Fantastic Beasts because I want it, not because I think WB is a boutique label :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd March 2017 11:51 AM

Aren't Twilight Time reportedly expensive in their pricings with little in the way of added value?

I might be wrong it's just what i recall from the TT thread in the past.

Maybe as a company they aren't getting the sales or their license with whoever runs out in 2020.

The quoted post from Rob4 doesn't mention the end of physical media just the end of Twilight Time.

It's Rob4's headline which is not part of the actual quote where the drama is, not the quote itself.

Justin101 3rd March 2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 523426)
Aren't Twilight Time reportedly expensive in their pricings with little in the way of added value?

Maybe as a company they aren't getting the sales or their license with whoever runs out in 2020.

The quoted post from Rob4 doesn't mention the end of physical media just the end of Twilight Time.

It's Rob4's headline which is not part of the actual quote where the drama is, not the quote itself.

TT is probably worried because Indicator has come along and is systematically releasing their previous releases, with better artwork and all of the same extras, plus more added value with booklets and exclusives. They've realised they don't have the niche of Sony Pictures exclusively to themselves any more.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd March 2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 523433)
TT is probably worried because Indicator has come along and is systematically releasing their previous releases, with better artwork and all of the same extras, plus more added value with booklets and exclusives. They've realised they don't have the niche of Sony Pictures exclusively to themselves any more.

Exactly.

Can you imagine Indicator coming along knowing they had only three years at most of sales before physical media ended?

bleakshaun 3rd March 2017 12:31 PM

in terms of physical media, i don't think it will die out. a lot of people believed vinyl was dead but it returned, with dvd's and blu rays chances are it will just become more of a niche for hipsters :cool:

Justin101 3rd March 2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 523445)
in terms of physical media, i don't think it will die out. a lot of people believed vinyl was dead but it returned, with dvd's and blu rays chances are it will just become more of a niche for hipsters :cool:

That reminds me, when I was in Fopp last week, 2 youngish people (17-18 yrs old :lol: ) were talking and I overheard them, they said do you think in 20 years time we'll be the old nostalgic people buying DVDs like our parents are buying vinyls these days :lol: He was buying Donnie Darko on DVD for £3 :lol:

gag 3rd March 2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 523451)
That reminds me, when I was in Fopp last week, 2 youngish people (17-18 yrs old :lol: ) were talking and I overheard them, they said do you think in 20 years time we'll be the old nostalgic people buying DVDs like our parents are buying vinyls these days :lol: He was buying Donnie Darko on DVD for £3 :lol:

Absolutely after all their still a huge market for vhs for the die hard collectors , old and young some to young to even remember video shops for rental .
Go to pre cert site and you see that, amount of times I've seen a bog standard vhs go for £30 + is unreal and that's not a pre cert , original nastie or a a rarity. Some cases some swap for edging towards a grand :scared: yep exactly and people just bin them like their binning a empty pop can .

Rob4 3rd March 2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 523426)

lol, i'm spreading fake news and didn't realise it :woot:

i think the worrying aspect of it, is the hiking of licence fees by the majors. i agree physical media will be around for years after 2020 but i fear it will become much more expensive for the collector.