Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Walt Disney buys Murdoch's Fox for $52.4bn (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/13693-walt-disney-buys-murdochs-fox-%2452-4bn.html)

SilverSurfer 14th December 2017 03:56 PM

Walt Disney buys Murdoch's Fox for $52.4bn

Walt Disney has agreed to buy 21st Century Fox's entertainment assets for a total $52.4bn (£39bn).
The deal includes Fox's 39% stake in satellite broadcaster Sky, and the 20th Century Fox film studio, Disney announced.
Fox's remaining assets, including Fox News and Sports, will form a new company.
The deal ends more than half a century of media expansion by Fox owner Rupert Murdoch, who is 86 years old.
Mr Murdoch will still retain control of News Corp, the news publishing group that split away from 21st Century Fox in 2013 and which owns the Times and the Sun newspapers.
Disney's purchase will add to its huge back catalogue, with high-grossing films such as the original Star Wars movie, the Marvel superhero pictures, Avatar and Deadpool, as well as TV hits including The Simpsons.
Disney chief executive Bob Iger said that Disney was "incredibly excited" about the acquisition, and that it was an "opportunity to expand iconic franchises", including Avatar and Star Wars.

I guess Walt Disney's ongoing Empire Strikes Back.

Walt Disney buys Murdoch's Fox for $52.4bn - BBC News

Dave Boy 14th December 2017 05:16 PM

Look for a multi edition Star Wars box set soon then. Now that Disney fully own all the rights to the original Star Wars 1977. And that opens up another can of worms about the theatrical cuts again. It's started already...

I look forward to Avengers v X-Men.

Rik 14th December 2017 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I’m looking forward to the next Alien film :nod:

Attachment 199926

Susan Foreman 19th December 2017 07:41 AM

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c5&oe=5AB322D7

https://external-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...DaG4qjkshVGO7J

Cinematic Shocks 19th December 2017 08:49 AM

I would love it if Disney resurrected Neil Blomkamp's Alien 5, or just did something different yet faithful to the first three films, ignoring the messy mediocrity of Ridley Scott's prequels. I actually wouldn't mind them giving the AVP spin-offs another crack at some point, but doing it right this time with something faithful to the source material of the comics.

trebor8273 19th December 2017 08:52 AM

i just hope we get a good fantastic four movie, how bloody hard is it to make one fox?

Cinematic Shocks 19th December 2017 09:06 AM

With Marvel Studios producing, due to the genuine love for their characters, I'm sure we will get a real Fantastic Four film, and also a definitive Doctor Doom.

trebor8273 19th December 2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 560708)
With Marvel Studios producing, due to the genuine love for their characters, I'm sure we will get a real Fantastic Four film, and also a definitive Doctor Doom.

how could fox of gotten one of marvels most iconic and powerful villains so wrong not once but twice

Rik 19th December 2017 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fox owns New World Pictures, so here’s the newest Disney Princess

Attachment 200047

hivemind 19th December 2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 560339)
Walt Disney has agreed to buy 21st Century Fox's entertainment assets for a total $52.4bn (£39bn).
The deal includes Fox's 39% stake in satellite broadcaster Sky, and the 20th Century Fox film studio, Disney announced.
Fox's remaining assets, including Fox News and Sports, will form a new company.
The deal ends more than half a century of media expansion by Fox owner Rupert Murdoch, who is 86 years old.
Mr Murdoch will still retain control of News Corp, the news publishing group that split away from 21st Century Fox in 2013 and which owns the Times and the Sun newspapers.
Disney's purchase will add to its huge back catalogue, with high-grossing films such as the original Star Wars movie, the Marvel superhero pictures, Avatar and Deadpool, as well as TV hits including The Simpsons.
Disney chief executive Bob Iger said that Disney was "incredibly excited" about the acquisition, and that it was an "opportunity to expand iconic franchises", including Avatar and Star Wars.

I guess Walt Disney's ongoing Empire Strikes Back.

Walt Disney buys Murdoch's Fox for $52.4bn - BBC News

Cameron's committed to Avatar until the ripe old age of 260 apparently, and Star Wars has been well and truly shafted by Disney, plus the Alien films have been completely screwed up by Scott, though Fox would of continued the back story to the Alien franchise without Scott. Fox and Ridley Scott should of left Alien back story to the imagination of the fans. All in all, a bleak day indeed. So now we have Universal/NBC - Comcast and the Walt Disney Co as two of the biggest entertainment conglomerats in the world, bar Time Warner. If I was a betting man, I would say that one day only two global corps will control all of the enterainment industries. This is a significant step toward that day.