Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree11Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16th December 2017, 04:07 PM
Prince_Vajda's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wolfenstein Castle
Competition The Ultra HD Blu-ray Thread


The Ultra HD Blu-ray Thread
ultrahd.jpg

This is the place for Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K.

Use this thread...

...to talk about new or upcoming releases...
...to show your collection...
...to discuss technical issues...
...???

Anything Ultra HD or 4K-related is okay. As usual, keep it friendly, constructive, and enjoyable.
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
__________________

Last edited by Prince_Vajda; 16th December 2017 at 07:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16th December 2017, 07:37 PM
Prince_Vajda's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wolfenstein Castle
Default

I only own one Ultra HD Blu-ray at the moment.

Wonder Woman
wonder1.jpg wonder2.jpg

Originally, I was more interested in the (beautiful) steelbook than in the UHD Blu-ray, but... you know... there's Christmas time and pressies and all that jazz... Prometheus (one of the very few films of the 2010s to genuinely impress me) is already on its way, and I'm fairly sure I'll have suitable 4K equipment by the end of the year.

---

How about you? Have you already gone 4K, are you planning to do so, or aren't you interested at all?*

*
SPOILER:
This is the chance of a lifetime for Dem.
He could jump a whole format generation and move from DVD (or is it still VHS...) to UHD Blu-ray.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17th December 2017, 02:38 PM
Prince_Vajda's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wolfenstein Castle
Default

dvd.jpg blu-ray.jpg ultra.jpg
DVD - Blu-ray - Ultra HD Blu-ray
720x480/720x576 - 1920x1080 - 3840x2160
Up to 8.5 GB - Up to 50 GB - Up to 100 GB
MPEG-2 - MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VC-1 - HEVC
11 region codes - 3 region codes - 0 region codes
about 10 - about 15 - about 25
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17th December 2017, 07:18 PM
Prince_Vajda's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wolfenstein Castle
Default

I've read quite a few reviews so far, and I can imagine there's some sort of quality improvement in most Ultra HD releases, but honestly, I'm more interested in personal, subjective statements.

---

Have you already gone 4K? If so, please share your thoughts and help others with their decision. Which technical set-up do you have? Any problems so far? Which releases can you recommend?

Are you planning to do so? If so, tell us what you expect from the pretty new format and why you'd like to go 4K now.

You aren't interested (at all)? Share your story, too - it's perfectly acceptable to resist temptation.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17th December 2017, 07:29 PM
trebor8273's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
I've read quite a few reviews so far, and I can imagine there's some sort of quality improvement in most Ultra HD releases, but honestly, I'm more interested in personal, subjective statements.

---

Have you already gone 4K? If so, please share your thoughts and help others with their decision. Which technical set-up do you have? Any problems so far? Which releases can you recommend?

Are you planning to do so? If so, tell us what you expect from the pretty new format and why you'd like to go 4K now.

You aren't interested (at all)? Share your story, too - it's perfectly acceptable to resist temptation.
I just use a Xbox one s for my player blade runner is well worth picking up as is 5th element and wonder woman, guardians of the galaxy vol 2,passengers ,Logan ,labrinth and the revenant.

But for the best picture quality you need a TV with HDR.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23rd December 2017, 09:35 AM
Prince_Vajda's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wolfenstein Castle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
But for the best picture quality you need a TV with HDR.
If 4K HDR is anything like HDR in photography, I'm pretty sure I won't like it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23rd December 2017, 08:11 PM
iank's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: QLD, Australia
Default

I don't really understand these. Do you need special players for them? If not, why separate them from standard Blu rays and not just put 4K on the cover instead? What's the difference, for instance, between the new Ghostbusters 4K release, and the Blu ray that already said it was 4k?
I'm baffled.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23rd December 2017, 08:50 PM
Prince_Vajda's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wolfenstein Castle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I don't really understand these. Do you need special players for them? If not, why separate them from standard Blu rays and not just put 4K on the cover instead? What's the difference, for instance, between the new Ghostbusters 4K release, and the Blu ray that already said it was 4k?
I'm baffled.
Some Blu-rays come with the label "Mastered in 4K". You only need a common Blu-ray player to watch them, and they are regular 1080p Blu-ray discs.

4K Ultra HD means that it is a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with 2160p resolution. To watch them, you need a 4K Ultra HD player.

"Mastered in 4K" - source material 2160p, Blu-ray disc 1080p
"4K Ultra HD" - source material (at least) 2160p, 4K Ultra HD disc 2160p
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23rd December 2017, 09:49 PM
iank's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: QLD, Australia
Default

Oh, right, thank you.
Won't be buying them any time soon then!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23rd December 2017, 09:58 PM
Prince_Vajda's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wolfenstein Castle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Oh, right, thank you.
Won't be buying them any time soon then!
You're welcome. I should add that most of the 4K Ultra HD releases also come with a standard Blu-ray.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.