Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2018, 12:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Solid, if slightly over-rated and a bit too melodramatic for my tastes.

It's a truly fantastic film full of great acting, action and yes b_e, romance.

Probably has the most quotable lines in cinema history too. Always makes me want to cheer but inevitably i always end up in tears.

Actually bring that nurse to me. Should a film nearly 80 years old have this effect every time i watch it?
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 11th March 2018, 04:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

My favourite of the Bogart noir films.
Bogart was an actor I could not stand when I was much younger, never could quite figure out why? voice? looks? But as I got older he covertly crept into my viewing habits and need to see films, now I love his movies and the man himself, not just gangster but his noire, adventure like African Queen, horror like The Return of Doctor X.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 11th March 2018, 10:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched The Graduate, really enjoyed it, solid acting all round & the 60's/70's is really when music (as in songs) on soundtracks to movies became an art form in itself, the simon & garfunkle soundtrack just works perfectly! Didn't realise how much humour (intentional or not) was in there, a film like The Godfather that, while "great", I can't see myself ever watching again as quite downbeat & lots more to check out.

Incidentally, the print being shown on sky cinema is the Criterion one, as the criterion logo appears before the movie. Since it's only on criterion r1 atm, might be of interest to anyone who wants to watch a great print of it.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 12th March 2018, 01:35 AM
Cult Addict

Another early 70's soundtrack that is very distinctive is in 'Harold and Maude' with Cat Stevens providing the music. It's a great film that i would recommend to you, blackly comic and subversive, yet heartwarming and touching.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 12th March 2018, 09:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Added to list!

Watched The Odd Couple, which I had seen before but years ago. Seriously classic film, a comedy with laughs every minute without fail! After watching Jack Lemmon in The Apartment, I want to watch more of his movies. I saw the style of both Sei feld & The Simpsons present in The Odd Couple!
Recommended to all.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 8th April 2018, 07:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Hidden Figures, a very engaging recent movie about the women who worked behind the scenes during the american/russian space race, the cast is great and it's got great comedy as well as drama, although it is about race and gender equality it doesn't harp on about it too much.
Solid movie but don't see myself watching it again. 4/5

Started watching Godfather 2, enjoying it as I did the first but it feels like a chore to get through. It has the pacing of a tv show, so one story heats up while another slows down. DeNiro & Pacino are both amazing & I love the prequal story but at 3 hours it is dragging.

Can anyone give me an opinion on whether I should bother with part 3 if I've only found parts 1&2 "good to ok"?
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 9th April 2018, 08:59 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Watched Hidden Figures, a very engaging recent movie about the women who worked behind the scenes during the american/russian space race, the cast is great and it's got great comedy as well as drama, although it is about race and gender equality it doesn't harp on about it too much.

Started watching Godfather 2, enjoying it as I did the first but it feels like a chore to get through. It has the pacing of a tv show, so one story heats up while another slows down. DeNiro & Pacino are both amazing & I love the prequal story but at 3 hours it is dragging.

Can anyone give me an opinion on whether I should bother with part 3 if I've only found parts 1&2 "good to ok"?
I would say watch it, if only to see how it ends

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 9th April 2018, 01:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post

Liked HF. Something different (for me anyhow )

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th April 2018, 09:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Spielberg's Lincoln after not enjoying it on original release, LOVED it this time, very engaging and emotional, for the first time in a long time i forgot i was watching a film. I would put this up there with Amistad, my favourite Spielberg "serious" film.

5/5

Also loved bridge of spies for anyone who hasn't seen it!
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 8th May 2018, 08:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watching Spike Lee's Malcom X, not a huge Lee fan but have this & Do the Right Thing to watch.
Malcom X is slow but picking up after 40 mins, I can see myself finishing this in one sitting & it's 194mins long! Denzel Washington is very good in the title role, but basically essaying a man whose views changed a lot throughout his life, there is a lot more to the character than i realised.
Recommended, will give more Lee films a go in the future.
nosferatu42 and bleakshaun like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!