Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Things you find unbearable in movies (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/1372-things-you-find-unbearable-movies.html)

Pete 5th June 2009 10:22 AM

Things you find unbearable in movies

I know we all think we are tough watching movie's like Cannibal Holocaust, Murder Set Pieces etc but is there anything that you find unberable, that you cant bring youself to look at?

For example the sequence in Day of the Dead when one of the soldiers gets his head pulled off i find unberable not because of the blood but because of his scream gets really high pitched as they rip his voice box. Horrible!

Peter Neal 5th June 2009 10:39 AM

I just hate violence against babies and children - particulalry if it's not really necessary for the narrative.

That's why I can accept those scenes in "Inside" (not a real baby to begin with) and "Rambo" (a necessary taboo breaker in mainstream Hollywood action terms to confront an unsuspecting audience with the real cruelty of war), but truly LOATHE the "baby scenes" in Uwe Boll's "Seed" and "Murder Set Pieces".:mad:

Having a family of your own will ultimately have an effect on your sensibilities.

Pete 5th June 2009 10:41 AM

Violence toward's babys is ( not always ) purley for shock value, its not nice. Although i did laugh at the scene in House of Lost Souls when that kid sticks his head in the washing machine and it gets ripped off.

Also the scene in In the Real of the Senses where the kids are running around naked made me feel uncomfortable.

Peter Neal 5th June 2009 11:05 AM

With "kid scenes", it totally depends on the way it's done.

I can laugh at the "playground zombie baby beating scene" in "Braindead" (though I laughed certainly louder when I still wasn't a dad!), but the scene in "Murder Set Pieces" when a screaming real life 18 months old baby gets shouted at by the killer and has to face the sight of a mutilated woman is simply unacceptable. Babies can't "act", so involving them in such a grim scenario is something a remotely respectable filmmaker should clearly avoid!:mad:

Pete 5th June 2009 11:07 AM

The scene in Braindead is hilarious.

To be honest i have never seen MSP but that sound's terrible. What kind of psycho allows their kid to be used in a scene like that?

Peter Neal 5th June 2009 11:08 AM

I was asking myself the same question, but I guess I'll have to listen to the MSP audio commentary in hope of getting an answer to that one.:ack:

Pete 5th June 2009 11:15 AM

I dont have kids of my own but i do have two nieces aged 2 and 5, i love them both and would never ever put them through something like that. Then again my dad thought nothing of letting me watch movies like, The Burning, Braindead, Dat of the Dead, Robocop, Terminator etc when i was 4-5 years old. Its nowonder im warped:D

Make Them Die Slowly 5th June 2009 11:22 AM

I didn't mind the baby scene in MSP, what really shocked me was the opening scene to "In A Glass Cage".If you've not seen the film,the scene shows a naked boy aged around 9 or 10 suspended by his arms from a rope who is then killed by a child murderer.The whole film is truly shocking and constantly crosses from art film to exploitation and back again.

Peter Neal 5th June 2009 11:23 AM

I don't mind the boy getting eaten in "Jaws", for example, but particularly with smaller children there's a fine line better not crossed without a very good reason or a good sense for where to stop...and Nick Palumbo just jumped way over it in MSP imho!:eek::(

What I read about "In a Glass Cage" suggests that it's a good movie but very hard to bear....

vipco 5th June 2009 11:26 AM

In Strange Behaviour a guy pee's blood and I honestly cant watch it.
It freeks me out.