Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2023, 01:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

It's not an argument or about nit-picking, simply two separate threads perhaps.

I come on here for example when there's a post expecting to read about the restoration of a film and end up disappointed when it's something i'm not interested in such as a tv series like The Navy Lark.

And no. I doubt people will go back and check out the OP when this happens. Not when the title says 'Film'.

If people are happy as it currently stands then great. Otherwise start a new thread.

I can always change the title to incorporate tv and radio otherwise.
Rob4 likes this.
Old 25th January 2023, 12:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

Queen of Spades restoration article link:

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/featur...een-of-spades/
Old 25th January 2023, 12:38 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Um... Rob - this is *your thread*, and *you* started it, but in the first post you said:

Admittedly I post about found radio programmes, but television shows were included in the original remit!!
I guess when I created it I was thinking only of visual media i.e. film and television.

However, I have no objection to radio stuff being posted or there being a separate thread for radio. It's all good to me. Ahem, I'll let Dem decide...

Old 3rd October 2023, 07:53 AM
Cult Master

Major pre-Python sketch show discovered / British Comedy Guide

"ITV has recovered a major, missing comedy series that lead to the creation of Monty Python's Flying Circus.

The Complete And Utter History Of Britain was written by and starred Michael Palin and Terry Jones, with one six-part series airing in January and February 1969.

A spoof documentary presenting the history of the British Isles, the Monty Python troupe was formed in the immediate aftermath of the programme's airing, with Flying Circus airing from 5th October the same year.

Filmed as seven parts, with the first two programmes edited into one ahead of broadcast by London Weekend Television, only the first two broadcast programmes has been known to survive in full, alongside filmed inserts from the rest of the series.

The surviving material, alongside newly-filmed linking material from Palin and Jones, were released on Blu-ray and DVD in 2014, but all six episodes have now been discovered - miscatalogued and residing in ITV's archive all along.

ITV told British Comedy Guide today: "It was found by the ITV Archive team as part of a huge project to fully identify every archive asset ITV holds.

"The series had been sitting in the ITV vaults though mis-catalogued for decades, but through the identification programme we were able to make this remarkable find.""
ramses, Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th October 2023, 05:14 PM
Cult Master

Three missing BBC episodes have been found

SYKES – Sykes and a Marriage (Broadcast: 1st February 1961)
HUGH AND I – New Year Resolutions (Broadcast: 4th January 1964)
MOGUL [The Troubleshooters] – Is That Tiger, Man? (Broadcast: 30th April 1966)

https://filmisfabulous.org.uk/bbc-tv...Tv84VHxhdd1B0s
gag, MacBlayne and Demoncrat like this.

Old 20th October 2023, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Three missing BBC episodes have been found

SYKES – Sykes and a Marriage (Broadcast: 1st February 1961)
HUGH AND I – New Year Resolutions (Broadcast: 4th January 1964)
MOGUL [The Troubleshooters] – Is That Tiger, Man? (Broadcast: 30th April 1966)

https://filmisfabulous.org.uk/bbc-tv...Tv84VHxhdd1B0s
Lol you just beat me to it I was noticed it wasn't up, looking for the thread then found out you just posted it as I was looking for it lol.
Old 24th October 2023, 10:24 AM
Cult Master

"Film is Fabulous! and De Montfort University’s Cinema and Television History Institute (CATHI) are pleased to announce the discovery of a lost silent movie from October 1919 by Selznick Pictures. The extraordinary print, which is on 35mm nitrate film stock, is entitled: Sealed Hearts.

Records show that the Evening Star, Washington, D.C., reviewed the movie on 13th December 1919, stating Sealed Hearts was: ‘A colorful drama of youthful loves, elderly prejudices and clashing natures that is rich in beauty, forceful in development and thrilling in climax.’

The movie was directed by Ralph Ince, and starred Eugene O’Brien. No copies were known to exist, until a U.K. film collector volunteered to the Film is Fabulous! team that he was custodian of reels 1 to 4. The original distribution print lasted 50 minutes and was composed of 5 reels.

The tinted 35mm print is the British version, which was distributed by Walturdaw. Its importance is such that The Library of Congress in the U.S. has requested that the print be returned for restoration."

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic267 - Sealed Hearts 1.jpg (111.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Pic267 - Sealed Hearts 2.jpg (79.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Pic267 - Sealed Hearts 3.jpg (96.7 KB, 63 views)

Old 14th November 2023, 09:07 AM
Cult Master

ANOTHER BASIL BRUSH RETURNED!

"Film is Fabulous! and De Montfort University’s Cinema and Television History Institute (CATHI) are pleased to announce the discovery of another missing BBC TV children’s programme:

The Basil Brush Show (Broadcast: 23rd October 1970)

This is the second Basil Brush Show recovered by the Film is Fabulous! team. Stephen Rowley, a former projectionist at BBC Manchester, was the custodian of the telerecording. But as soon as he learned that it was the only known print, Stephen generously handed the programme over. It will be returned to the BBC Archive.

The show was presented by Derek Fowlds and featured music from ‘Dr. Marigold’s Prescription’, and a guest performance by Tommy ‘Gentleman Jack’ Iversen. It is the second Basil Brush programme found from Season 4 (it being episode 6). The previous find, announced less than a month ago, which came from a deceased film collector’s collection, was also from Season 4 (it being episode 2)."

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basil Brush 1.jpg (93.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Basil Brush 2.jpg (77.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Basil Brush 3.jpg (84.2 KB, 48 views)
MacBlayne and nosferatu42 like this.

Old 15th February 2024, 09:40 AM
Cult Master

Missing 1960s BBC comedy episode found at Coventry Cathedral / BBC News

"A film reel found in the basement of Coventry Cathedral has been confirmed as an episode from a BBC TV comedy series.

Lance at Large was screened in the 1960s, featuring popular entertainer from the time, Lance Percival.

Staff at the cathedral said they were mystified as to how it got there and were trying to find out more.

The reel was found in a cupboard in a room where religious programmes were once made.

On the film's tin, there is an Australian broadcasting label on it, and one theory from staff is that it was a syndicated copy brought back from the country..."
nosferatu42 and Rob4 like this.

Old 2nd March 2024, 04:37 PM
Cult Master

'The Gorilla' (1927)

Apparently this has been found

Nitrateville

The Classic Horror Film Board

"The original 1927 version of the film was long considered a lost film.

The film has been found and will be showing at the 2024 San Francisco Silent Film Festival"
Rob4 likes this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 18th March 2024 at 02:26 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!