Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th September 2018, 08:04 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Lobster had their name on the Flicker Alley version so i would think it would be the same version. They clearly just want the French to give them a bit of cash.

It's not like it's that brilliant a film to be honest. I have the Legend film dvd restoration. Only watched it once. It's not a film i'd ever think of upgrading.
sacrilege!!!
Old 8th September 2018, 08:38 AM
Cult Addict

I have the double bill release with GOW. I've had it for a few years now. Its a solid transfer of the film and I've returned to it a few times. I'm aiming to start watching some classic horror and most dangerous game is a definite classic for me. That said if they've found a source with additional footage of Zaroff's trophy room (the restored version I have if fairly nasty for a film of its era with heads in jars ect) then I'd be interested.

Anyway.. Some good news (for me at least as I genuinely love this film) but Gary Sherman has announced that the original materials for Dead & Buried may have been found. If so we may get a genuinely great HD transfer of the film finally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-09-08.jpg (20.1 KB, 9 views)
nosferatu42 and Rob4 like this.
Old 8th September 2018, 10:22 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I have the double bill release with GOW. I've had it for a few years now. Its a solid transfer of the film and I've returned to it a few times. I'm aiming to start watching some classic horror and most dangerous game is a definite classic for me. That said if they've found a source with additional footage of Zaroff's trophy room (the restored version I have if fairly nasty for a film of its era with heads in jars ect) then I'd be interested.

Anyway.. Some good news (for me at least as I genuinely love this film) but Gary Sherman has announced that the original materials for Dead & Buried may have been found. If so we may get a genuinely great HD transfer of the film finally.
ah that would be great. the present BU presentation is pretty good considering its second generation materials, but D&B has quite a bit of heavily filtered photography so a transfer from the original neg would definitely be an improvement.
Old 8th September 2018, 12:29 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I have the Flicker Alley version along with Gow, The Headhunter.

It's a film I rather enjoy.
Old 8th September 2018, 12:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I have the Flicker Alley version along with Gow, The Headhunter.

It's a film I rather enjoy.
I was perhaps a little harsh on hugely influential film.

Everyone from Jess Franco to Ice T have been involved in what are basically remakes of The Most Dangerous Game.

I'll give the original another watch this coming week.
Rob4 likes this.
Old 8th September 2018, 12:44 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I was perhaps a little harsh on hugely influential film.

Everyone from Jess Franco to Ice T have been involved in what are basically remakes of The Most Dangerous Game.

I'll give the original another watch this coming week.
If I could 'like' this post, then I would.

Hopefully you enjoy the re-visit and I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 8th September 2018, 12:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
If I could 'like' this post, then I would.

Hopefully you enjoy the re-visit and I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts.
Ha,ha, thanks.

The odd thing is, i loved every other version of the film i've seen. (Even Slave Girls From Beyond Infinity) It's possible i wasn't taking into account the age of the piece and budget restrictions and so on.

Can you not 'like' by dropping down a page on the thread then going back to the original page? It works okay for me. Slightly annoying but it works.
Old 8th September 2018, 02:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Ha,ha, thanks.

The odd thing is, i loved every other version of the film i've seen. (Even Slave Girls From Beyond Infinity) It's possible i wasn't taking into account the age of the piece and budget restrictions and so on.

Can you not 'like' by dropping down a page on the thread then going back to the original page? It works okay for me. Slightly annoying but it works.
The Most Dangerous Game was churned out quite quickly but was made on the sets, and by the same team, as King Kong, so it is basically as good as it gets for sets and art direction for its time.

I think sometimes it is perceived as a bit creaky because it went public domain and therefore no good elements were ever retained so the washed out film and crackly soundtrack detracts from the experience, as well of course, the old fashioned acting styles. if it had a restoration like Bela Lugosi's Dracula and The Old Dark House i think its reputation would skyrocket. i rate it in the top echelon of golden age horror.
Old 8th September 2018, 02:44 PM
Cult Addict

I really like "The most dangerous game" too, you definitely need to rewatch it Dem.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 8th September 2018, 03:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
The Most Dangerous Game was churned out quite quickly but was made on the sets, and by the same team, as King Kong, so it is basically as good as it gets for sets and art direction for its time.

I think sometimes it is perceived as a bit creaky because it went public domain and therefore no good elements were ever retained so the washed out film and crackly soundtrack detracts from the experience, as well of course, the old fashioned acting styles. if it had a restoration like Bela Lugosi's Dracula and The Old Dark House i think its reputation would skyrocket. i rate it in the top echelon of golden age horror.
It's not the creaky aspect of it i don't think. The weird thing is, the release i have (Legend Films restoration) looks splendid and was restored 'under the creative direction of Ray Harryhausen'.

It's only 63 minutes. I'll watch it tonight.

Like this? Share it using the links below!