Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2020, 11:40 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
pretty sure its the two that Suzie posted are different click on the link and watch both clips I'm sure they are the same .
Unless the two in the link are the same remade version, but one has been 'tarted up'

It's a conspiracy I tells ya!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th February 2020, 12:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Clearly a fake. As the train arrives the new one features a woman with a check shawl - Not even present in the original.

Waste of space.
Old 6th February 2020, 12:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
pretty sure its the two that Susan posted are different click on the link and watch both clips I'm sure they are the same .
I hope this makes sense to you.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 6th February 2020, 12:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Clearly a fake. As the train arrives the new one features a woman with a check shawl - Not even present in the original.

Waste of space.
Reading about it is fake

Fanmade

Lumière Brothers’ 1895 Short ‘Arrival of a Train’ Goes Viral With Fan-Made 4K Restoration

Watch the 4K, 60ps restoration of the “Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat” in the first video below. For a point of reference, we’ve included the original “Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat” in the second video below.
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Mystery of the Wax Museum restoration article (I've put it in the Warner thread too)

https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/blogs/ar...scott-macqueen
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 1st August 2020, 08:08 PM
Cult Master

Chicago Film Archives Discovers ‘Lost’ Silent Film From 1920s | Block Club Archives

"The Chicago Film Archives recently uncovered a lost silent film from 1923 in its collection.

“The First Degree” is listed in the Library of Congress’ records of Lost U.S. Silent Feature Films from 1912-1929. There are no surviving elements of the film beyond the one maintained in the Chicago Film Archives, according to a press release.

“The First Degree” is a “rural melodrama” directed by Edward Sedgwick, produced by Universal, and released Feb. 5, 1923, according to Chicago Film Archives."
Demoncrat, Rob4 and MrBarlow like this.

Old 9th August 2020, 08:16 AM
Cult Acolyte

I didn't want to post this in the Dr. Who thread for fear of snaring it up with unfounded rumours. Philip Morris posted this on his Twitter page with the caption 'A good day at the office...'. The hysteria around the omnirumour seems such a long time ago now that it is probably unsurprising that this post has caused barely a ripple in Dr. Who Land - not even a single mention on the missingepisodes forum. However, I wasn't the only one to notice that the reel containing the film is the exact same as the type which held The Web of Fear. So maybe there is some hope... If anything does come back I expect it to be either The Abominable Snowman or The Wheel in Space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ed9oY5ZWoAABUdp.jpg (86.8 KB, 7 views)
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 26th October 2020, 03:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Nice interview with the lady who is responsible for the restoration of popular Mexican films including Santo

https://www.iseeadarktheater.com/viv...09J05VSOfk7Sfo

EDIT: and an even more expansive interview

http://dailygrindhouse.com/thewire/i...-garcia-besne/
Old 1st November 2020, 06:20 AM
Cult Master

'Lost' Sean Connery play recording unearthed by director / BBC News

"A recording of Sean Connery's first-ever lead TV performance, which was thought to have been lost forever, has been unearthed by the film's director.

Connery played past-his-best boxer Malcolm "Mountain" McClintock in the 1957 play Requiem for a Heavyweight, which was broadcast live on the BBC.

Director Alvin Rakoff recorded the play for posterity and stored it in his attic where it remained for 55 years.

"He was tall, good-looking and had charisma from the start," he said.

Connery "was an extra" at the time, said Rakoff. "One of those guys who rang every other day and asked: 'Do you have any work for me?'

"I did a show called The Condemned, in which he played four of five parts for me - one was an old man who had been in prison for a long time and had gone a bit bonkers.

"I tried to get one of the other extras to do it and he wasn't quite right and Sean said: 'I can have a go at that, Al'."
'Ladies will like him'
Requiem for a Heavyweight was written for US television in 1956 by The Twilight Zone creator Rod Serling and starred Jack Palance in the lead role. The play won a Peabody Award.

Rakoff said it was his future wife, Doctor Who actress Jacqueline Hill - who he had cast in the BBC adaptation, who convinced him to cast Connery in the Palance role of a boxer who is told that he can no longer fight for health reasons.

He told BBC News: "I got a call from his [Palance's] agent who said: 'Jack ain't gonna show'. Something better had come up and he didn't want to come to England.

"She [Jacqueline] said, 'Have you seen Sean?... the ladies will like him', which was quite a remarkable statement but it was true, women adored him and so I called him and narrowed it to two fellows and Sean got it."

Because the play was broadcast live and no recording was made, it had been thought the performance was lost until Rakoff, 87, remembered the recording he had made during a recent interview and found it gathering dust in his London home.

Speaking on his decision more than 50 years ago to make the recording, he said: "I had suddenly thought: 'Maybe this is an important piece,' and I spoke to the man in the sound booth and asked him to do a reel-to-reel so he had an audio recording, and he did."

The British version was screened on 31 March 1957 on the BBC's Sunday Night Theatre anthology and co-starred Till Death Do Us part actor Warren Mitchell and another young actor by the name of Michael Caine.

"It went out on American television so there were commercial breaks and on the BBC there weren't any and Sean had a big costume change and I rang Rod and said we needed a new scene just to let him change.

"He said, rather nonchalantly, 'I hear you can write Alvin, you write it'.

"I cast two actors as has-been boxers who were struggling and Michael Caine was one of them. People in rehearsals watched the little scene and said: 'That guy's going to go far'."
'Scottish-ness'
The crackly recording of Requiem for a Heavyweight features Connery's unmistakably Scottish burr despite the character being written as an American.

Rakoff said: "We worked hard and long on the accent, he was trying but couldn't get rid of some of the Scottish-ness and in fact Michael Barry, who was the head of drama at the time came to rehearsals and he said: 'Are you sure you want to go ahead with this guy, I don't think he can do it'.

"I said: 'Michael I can assure you he can do it'."

In 1962, Connery became a household name when he played James Bond in his first big screen outing Dr No and would go on to become one of the biggest film stars of the 20th Century.

Now in his 80s, Rakoff is still working and has just written the conspiracy thriller The Seven Einsteins."
MacBlayne, iank and Rob4 like this.

Old 26th February 2021, 04:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

https://www.variety.com/2021/film/ne...er-1234915369/

George A. Romero’s Lost Film ‘The Amusement Park’ Comes to Shudder
By Antonio Ferme

Amusement Park Movie
Courtesy of AMC
Shudder has acquired rights to George A. Romero’s “The Amusement Park,” the film from the “Night of the Living Dead” helmer that was considered lost until a print surfaced in 2018.

The AMC Networks’ horror-centric streaming service will make the movie available in North America, U.K., Ireland, Australia and New Zealand this summer.

After a print of “Amusement Park” was tracked down by Daniel Kraus, longtime collaborator with director Guillermo del Toro, in 2018, the 1973 film was restored in 4K by IndieCollect in New York City.

“Amusement Park” was commissioned by the Lutheran Society with the charter make a movie about shoddy treatment of the elderly in contemporary society. But Romero’s 52-minute production was never released because the nonprofit group found it to be too gruesome for mainstream audiences.

“Amusement Park” stars Lincoln Maazel as an elderly man who finds himself increasingly disoriented and isolated during a visit to the amusement park. What he initially assumed would be an ordinary day quickly turned into a hellish nightmare filled with roller coasters and chaotic crowds.

Shudder described “Amusement Park” as “perhaps Romero’s wildest and most imaginative movie, an allegory about the nightmarish realities of growing older.”

“The moment we heard ‘The Amusement Park’ had been rediscovered and was being restored, we knew we had to bring this unseen George A. Romero masterpiece to Shudder members,” said Craig Engler, Shudder general manager.

Suzanne Desrocher-Romero, founder and president of the George A. Romero Foundation, served as a producer on the film. George Romero died in 2017 at the age of 77.

“The first and only work-for-hire in Romero’s career sheds a new perspective on an ongoing issue of ageism and Romero’s uncanny sense of reflection on society, and the Romero ‘footprint’ is ever present and bodes well for the future of his impact on American cinema,” Desrocher-Romero said. “We are thankful to Yellow Veil Pictures who helped forge a path for us to find the most perfect custodian for this piece. Shudder understands that this film adds an important element to the Romero oeuvre. We are grateful.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 15th March 2021 at 02:46 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!