Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2019, 08:00 AM
Cult Acolyte

I remember walking past Kingston cinema with my parents and KELLY'S HEROES (1970) was showing. I still remember looking at the poster with my dad.
Also, down at the coast somewhere we walked past a cinema and ZOMBIES DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978) was showing. I remember stopping and looking at the poster and stills outside. There must have been a tv spot on the television because I knew what it was.

kelly-s-heroes-uk-quad-1970--13066-p.jpg zombies-dawn-of-the-dead.jpg

My brother being older than me got to see some X cert movies.
He saw ALIEN (1979). The film broke down just as Ripley blew the Nostromo up. Everyone thought it was the end of the film because it stopped in just the right place. Then the film started again and people came back in!
He saw THE EXORCIST (1973). It scared him afterward. He kept thinking he could see the possessed face and hear the voice in the bedroom.
He also saw DAMIEN OMEN II (1978), ENTER THE DRAGON (1973) and SCANNERS (1981). I remember the awesome SCANNERS poster lit up at the cinema.
Old 6th August 2019, 12:26 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Also, down at the coast somewhere we walked past a cinema and ZOMBIES DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978) was showing. I remember stopping and looking at the poster and stills outside. There must have been a tv spot on the television because I knew what it was
'Carrie' was the second feature on this bill
Demoncrat and Dave Boy like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th August 2019, 05:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The only time I got an entire screen to myself was seeing Scrooged. Massive queues, but every one else went into Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Justin101, bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th August 2019, 06:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

I had the whole screen to myself with NATIVITY STORY (2006)
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 6th August 2019, 11:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I remember walking past Kingston cinema with my parents and KELLY'S HEROES (1970) was showing. I still remember looking at the poster with my dad.
Also, down at the coast somewhere we walked past a cinema and ZOMBIES DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978) was showing. I remember stopping and looking at the poster and stills outside. There must have been a tv spot on the television because I knew what it was.

Attachment 217518 Attachment 217519

My brother being older than me got to see some X cert movies.
He saw ALIEN (1979). The film broke down just as Ripley blew the Nostromo up. Everyone thought it was the end of the film because it stopped in just the right place. Then the film started again and people came back in!
He saw THE EXORCIST (1973). It scared him afterward. He kept thinking he could see the possessed face and hear the voice in the bedroom.
He also saw DAMIEN OMEN II (1978), ENTER THE DRAGON (1973) and SCANNERS (1981). I remember the awesome SCANNERS poster lit up at the cinema.
I vividly remember being in Seattle around 71/72 with my mum and a small cinema had this poster on display, I looked at my mum and she said "I'm not taking you to see that and that's final so don't even ask" at 11 or 12 she already knew me too well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phibes.jpg (97.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 7th August 2019, 01:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Nineties on film. My cinema screenings. (Continued)

Scream
Jackie Chan's First Strike
The Relic
Fierce Creatures
Star Wars (Special Edition)
Crash
Absolute Power
Dante's Peak
Donnie Brasco
The Empire Strikes Back (Special Edition)
The Devil's Own
The Saint
Anaconda
Return of the Jedi (Special Edition)
Grosse Pointe Blank
Volcano
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
Breakdown
The Fifth Element
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Con Air
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Batman & Robin
Face/Off
Men in Black
Air Force One
Spawn
Conspiracy Theory
Cop Land
Event Horizon
G.I. Jane
Mimic
Fire Down Below
The Game
L.A. Confidential
Wishmaster
The Edge
Kiss the Girls
U Turn
An American Werewolf in Paris
The Devil's Advocate
I Know What You Did Last Summer
A Life Less Ordinary
Starship Troopers
The Jackal
The Rainmaker
Alien Resurrection
Scream 2
MouseHunt
Tomorrow Never Dies

To be continued...
Old 7th August 2019, 01:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Nineties on film. My cinema screenings. (Concluded)

Fallen
Deep Rising
Dark City
Sphere
The Big Lebowski
U.S. Marshals
Wild Things
Species II
Nightwatch
Deep Impact
Jackie Brown
As Good as It Gets
Godzilla
A Perfect Murder
Insomnia
The Truman Show
Armageddon
The Mask of Zorro
Saving Private Ryan
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
Snake Eyes
The Avengers
Blade
Rush Hour
Ronin
Soldier
Vampires
The Siege
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
Enemy of the State
Very Bad Things
Little Voice
A Simple Plan
Star Trek: Insurrection

Virus
Payback
My Favorite Martian
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
The Matrix
Entrapment
The Thin Red Line
The Mummy
Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Lake Placid
The Haunting
Deep Blue Sea
The Sixth Sense
The Thomas Crown Affair
The 13th Warrior
Stigmata
House on Haunted Hill
Three Kings
Sleepy Hollow
The World Is Not Enough
End of Days

Any Given Sunday
The Beach
U-571
Gladiator
Mission: Impossible 2
X-Men
What Lies Beneath
Space Cowboys
The Cell
The Exorcist (re-release)

And that was basically it.

Our regular Sunday outings came to an end. Mainly due to two factors. Three of us bought dvd players in the summer of 1998. Back then releases were staggered in cinemas. Something could be out on American dvd months before it came to UK cinemas so we'd buy the film on import dvd meaning there was no reason to go to the cinema to see it. They could cost anything north of twenty quid a film to buy so there was no way i'd do that then go and see it at the cinema.

The other reason was a bit odd. We'd religiously go every Sunday to the UCI at a Preston retail park. It was a forty minute drive, we'd park up watch the film then go to Mcdonalds afterwards to discuss it. It was an enjoyable afternoon out and always at least two of us went. Usually it was three, on occassions up to six depending on the film. It turned into less of an afternoon out when a cinema - the Hollywood Park - opened in Burnley. We could do just the same thing as we'd done at Preston and sometimes Bury, but it didn't feel like an event, it became mundane, nor did it seem reasonable to continue traveling to Preston when there was a new multiplex on our doorstep. Although we went for months to Burnley it just wasn't the same, plus there was the dvd phenomenon as well.

That's not to say it was the end of cinema going for us. We'd go to the odd event movie that we hadn't purchased on dvd such as Bond or Star Wars, or LOTR or one off screenings of classic films but our 90's film festival came to an end.

All good things eh?

Looking back and compiling these lists has been both fun and sweetly nostalgic with just a touch of melancholy thrown in as well.

We saw some fantastic films (and one or two clunkers as well) and the over riding feeling is that the 90's were one hell of a decade for film making.

The amount of good to very good films we saw i'd reckon was about 90% and the best thing about them was they were all original movies. Barely any remakes or sequels and the screens weren't cluttered up by superheroes or paranormal non-entities meaning that when we did see a superhero film like Batman Returns or Blade or even Spawn or a horror film like Bram Stoker's Dracula, Scream or In the Mouth of Madness, it felt like an event in itself.

I almost feel privileged to have seen the likes of LA Confidential, Saving Private Ryan, Pulp Fiction, Interview with the Vampire and Gladiator, to name but five, on the cinema screen.
Old 7th August 2019, 09:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default fri 13th

I saw Commando at the cinema, for some reason the top aisle row, jutted out into the walkway, so I walk into a totally dark cinema, walk straight into back of the aisle seat and jettisoned over the seat and face planted onto the floor,still do not know what happened or why...

Went to an all nighter showing Friday the 13th 1 to 5,this was still in the days you could smoke in the cinema, for some reason I loaded up on chocolate and cigs,spent most of part 4 throwing up in the toilets...

Old 14th September 2020, 07:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

One of the cinemas I visit is still a classic old cinema.
They have the old certificate board at the entrance.

20200910_145315.jpg

The board must be pre 1970 as the X CERT shows a 16 age group and there is no AA CERT.
Old 15th September 2020, 05:30 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
One of the cinemas I visit is still a classic old cinema.
They have the old certificate board at the entrance.

Attachment 227716

The board must be pre 1970 as the X CERT shows a 16 age group and there is no AA CERT.
That's a wonderful thing

It was so much easier in the olden days - if you ain't old enough, you ain't getting in!
Demoncrat, Dave Boy and MrBarlow like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!