Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree390Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2022, 04:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's not a comedy, no. Bonny scenery though ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th November 2022, 05:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Two Faces Of Dr. Jekyll (1960, Terence Fisher)

Whilst not the most ribald of the adaptations of this tale, Paul Massie has a great deal of fun as Hyde, if only he didn't remind me of when The Hood has to disguise himself as Henry J, sorry not sorry
One I will certainly return to, I will say.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th November 2022, 05:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rise Of The Footsoldier: Origins (Nick Nevern)

One more time (actually no, we are getting The Tony Tucker Story next ahem )

I digress.

Meet the boys, all loveable scamps to a man
Various Essex scumbags sneer and threaten each other with sharp implements to whatever end their cocaine addled bonces are fit for
Honestly am sick of these now. It's the same geezer drivel every time. "YOU CAAAAHNT!!" etc. Lawdy.

[B]
Old 8th December 2022, 08:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Loot (1970, Silvio Narazzino)

I'm a big Joe Orton fan I will say. Based on his second full length play, this tale of trust and tea leaves is still fairly out there tbh. Two friends rob a bank and naturally hide the money in the nearest place, a recently deceased relative's coffin.
All fine and dandy then. Sadly the fuzz turn up in the form of Dickie Attenborough. Contrast his performance here with his other film from this year.
Here he plays to the gallery to the hilt in a bravau style, fitting in with the farcical nature of the text. Tis a world away from Ray Cooney and the like though, with a black black heart at the core.

[B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 8th December 2022 at 09:11 PM.
Old 19th December 2022, 06:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Carry On Abroad (1972, Gerald Thomas)

Ah coach trips. They seemed like a special kind of hell, so this is as far as I get with that palaver dearie
Meet the gang (and Jimmy Logan!) as they venture offshore (well ... ) in search of fun, sun and sangria.
Butterworth and Jacques are their esteemed hosts, doings the best that they cans
Hawtrey outdoes himself here, flaunting that pigeon chest alfresco at the drop of a cork (hic!) and Valerie Leon pops up as one of the few cast members who actually resembles a real person. The last really decent CO imho.

[B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 19th December 2022 at 10:15 PM.
Old 19th December 2022, 10:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Carry On Abroad (1972, Gerald Thomas)

Ah coach trips. They seemed like a special kind of hell, so this is as far as I get with that palaver dearie
I've been on one UK based coach trip with Ledger Tours. It was to Normandy to tour the battlefields. The tour itself was superb, i cannot recommend it enough, superb and absolutely exhausting. Out from eight in the morning until nine at night for four days running.

However the journey getting from Lancashire to Dover was the stuff of nightmares. It took us over two hours to navigate Manchester. Two f*cking hours. Due to pick ups and other bollocks.

Can't remember what the journey back through this fair land was like. I was too cream crackered to care.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 20th December 2022, 12:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lawdy. The only thing I can relate it to was one I had to take one to attend a wedding in some estate. The rigamarole and hooha was plentiful.

[B]
Old 6th January 2023, 05:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Vampire Lovers (1970, Roy Ward Baker)

Hadn't seen this one in long enough. A new family in the area make their prescence felt somewhat. I just feel that Pitt is slightly too old for the part, whereas Maddie Smith would have been a better fit, physically anyhow imho, IP does her best in the situation.

[B]
Old 6th January 2023, 10:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Vampire Lovers (1970, Roy Ward Baker)

I just feel that Pitt is slightly too old for the part
She was only 33. She just took a long time to finish finishing school.

Another seven years and she'd have been able to play a high school girl in an American slasher.

Demoncrat likes this.
Old 11th January 2023, 10:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deadly Strangers (1974, Sydney Hayers)

Where's the BFI sp ed of this one then??
Simon Ward and Hayley Mills star in this downbeat, sour, very British flick that needs more love imho. Finding Mills in some distress, Ward offers some assistance. If only a recent escapee from a asylum wasn't in the area .....
The print that I have is reasonable, even if projector damage is clearly obvious in places.
Sod The Ghoul, I want this released!!
Mojo, iank and MrBarlow like this.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!