Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree390Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2021, 05:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Exhibit A (2007, Dom Rotheroe)

Grim wee FFer.
When a father decides it's time to move, ghosts are the least of this families worries. An oddity. Has more in common with It Comes At Night than It Follows tbh. Not something I'll revisit in a hurry.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th August 2021, 06:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Saint Maud (2019, Rose Glass)

Well, I liked it.
Maybe it was just the presentation of the subject matter, but it kept my attention. Some may be bored rigid I could see that.
The allusions to certain historical elements was a tad heavy handed for all that. Regardless, liked the ST, minimal AF in places.
I'll be interested to see what she does next tbh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SM.jpg (88.4 KB, 7 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th August 2021, 09:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quatermass II

Rewatching the old warhorse. Still quite tense in places. If only Donleavy didn't remind me more of Sam Spade cough.

[B]
Old 11th October 2021, 04:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Day The Earth Caught Fire (1961, Val Guest)

Edward Judd tries to get off with a posh bird whilst the world goes to shit. Leo McKern has hair!
Vaguely remembered this from childhood and was suitably impressed as an adult. Packs more detail into 100 minutes than any Marvel (or modern Hypocritewood film tbh) schlock.
Even if the "riot" made me cry with the laughter, this will be getting the revisit sooner than laterer.

[B]
Old 13th November 2021, 11:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

G.B.H. 2: Lethal Impact (1991, David Kent-Watson)

Found on the YT. The print is mush and audio is out of sync, but it's still TWEMLOW ffs, so on it went! Somewhat more violent than the parent flick (cough), this has the Twem returning to right wrongs all over the place. A joy to behold.

[B]
Old 13th November 2021, 11:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
G.B.H. 2: Lethal Impact (1991, David Kent-Watson)

Found on the YT. The print is mush and audio is out of sync, but it's still TWEMLOW ffs, so on it went! Somewhat more violent than the parent flick (cough), this has the Twem returning to right wrongs all over the place. A joy to behold.
Not seen either of the G.B.H. films, D. Wasn't this one filmed in Manchester?

A nice little BD box set would be nice.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 14th November 2021, 12:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Most of his films were done in Manchester on the whole tbh. A singular actor (cough), the day I find anything on the dvd even would be a happy day. The BFI could do a lot worse than remaster this man's work ahem.

[B]
Old 14th November 2021, 09:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Endgame (2001, Gary Wicks)

An odd wee beast mainly due to the hilariously inaccurate sleeve. Wales is not part of the "rolling English countryside" to my mind, and such like. Ahem.
A rent boy finds his life is going nowhere when an accident forces him to "get away from it all". Sprinkled with semi familiar faces, this bleak, sour, violent wee thing wasn't that fast paced or that thrilling (see cover ), but thems the breaks. Nice scenery cough.

Christie Malry's Own Double-Entry (2000, Paul Tickell)

Nick Moran? Shirley Anne Field?? Ahem.
Based on a novel of the same name, this is another oddity. An office drudge finds respite from his claustrophobic relationship with his mother and work hassles by inventing his own "accounting system". Filmed flatly but with tinges of Billy Liar, this one also moved along at it's own pace ahem.
ST was the usual barbed sneer from the Haines. Must get that cd!!!

[B]
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Queen Kong (1976, Frank Agrama)

Yes, that one.
Just as awful as you've heard, but I quite liked it tbh. Literally a feminist assault on masculinity with songs
Ahem. A must see for maniacs like myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QK.jpg (99.4 KB, 5 views)

[B]
Old 29th April 2022, 06:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Frightmare

Do I need an excuse?

Watched initially with the comm (Walker being his usual self effacing self ahem) until it started repeating passages! Fault or stretching out an hour's worth of chat to the whole film? Hmmm. So just restarted it.
A charming family tale as old as time unfurls when the past is brought to bear on the present.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!