Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   British Cinema (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/13988-british-cinema.html)

Demoncrat 29th February 2020 06:53 PM

British Cinema

Just what it implies dear boys, girls, diddles, loons, quines and folk!

Anything that does fall within that epiphet but doesn't fit anywhere else here.

So here you can wax lyrical about Fanny & Elvis, or eulogise about obscure psycho thriller Love Potion .... and everything in between.

iank 29th February 2020 08:35 PM

I've really been getting into 70s British movies of late, an area of which I've been oddly neglectful of before without any particular reason, including (though not limited to) the Hammer and Amicus libraries. Loving it. :woot:
It's really exploded my 70s film library outward too, which I like. Cause I love the 70s. :nod:

Demoncrat 29th February 2020 09:09 PM

Ah, then, there's plenty to admire. :nod:

iank 1st March 2020 07:22 AM

Anyone got any other recommendations for 70s British movies (horror, thriller or even comedy)?

gag 1st March 2020 09:03 AM

This of any help (not 70s tho )

Top 100 best British film according to empire magazine

Literally films ranging from 40s up to modern day .

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...0britishfilms/

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st March 2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 621503)
Anyone got any other recommendations for 70s British movies (horror, thriller or even comedy)?

I can definitely help you out here but need a bit more help as there's so much. The seventies were a great time for British film, especially the first half.

Here's a couple of horrors though - Death Line and The Shout, if you'd prefer a more conventional horror perhaps Tower of Evil.

I'm presuming you've seen The Wicker Man, Blood on Satan's Claw and Witchfinder General. WG is from 68 and although you said 70's that period 57-75 was the boom time in British horror.

The likes of Pete Walker barely put a foot wrong in the 70's. Frightmare would be a big recommendation as it mixes kitchen sink drama with gory horror. A curio might be House of Long Shadows, which itself isn't brilliant but it was the only time Lee, Cushing and Price starred together plus John Carradine.

As for comedies there were a lot of sexy style films released, affectionately known as 'Slap and tickle'. It's difficult to recommend these as they are possibly an acquired taste but Martin (Goldeneye) Campbell's The Sex Thief might be a good place to begin to see if they are for you.

There are so many great thrillers - Get Carter, Villain, Robbery, Payroll, The League of Gentlemen... really need this one narrowing down to something a bit more specific. Again not all 70's but in that classic period.

This subject is so broad, but please feel free to ask anything you like, Ian. Even if you think it daft.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st March 2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 621507)
This of any help (not 70s tho )

Top 100 best British film according to empire magazine

Literally films ranging from 40s up to modern day .

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...0britishfilms/

Any suggestions yourself, gag, rather than a generic list. A suggestion from someone you know is far better in my opinion.

gag 1st March 2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 621512)
Any suggestions yourself, gag, rather than a generic list. A suggestion from someone you know is far better in my opinion.

Fair enough ill have to have a think,

But 2 of my favs from the 60s are peeping tom and twisted nerve, great psychological thrillers .

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st March 2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 621516)
Fair enough ill have to have a think,

But 2 of my favs from the 60s are peeping tom and twisted nerve, great psychological thrillers .

Twisted Nerve is excellent, that's a good recommendation.

I wasn't as impressed by Peeping Tom last time i saw it a few years ago. I've only seen it twice in total. I think that was just me rather than it being a poor film, which i very well know it isn't. Certainly a film Ian should try and have a watch of.

gag 1st March 2020 01:34 PM

British films in general here a few of my favs, no particular order or year. Pretty sure you'll know most of them tho but here goes.

Scum
Quadrophenia
Face (1997)
An American werewolf in London
Life of Brian
Kes
Trainspotting
Oliver (musical version with Oliver reed)
Eastern promise
Labyrinth ? Not 100% sure if British but think it is
lock stock and two smoking barrels
Mcvicar
Circus of horror
And soon the darkness
Dr phibes
Tales from the crypt
10 rillington place
Dead man shoes
This is England
slumdog millionaire
Quatermass films
Attack the block

Be loads I'm missing but like owt else some can't think off at this time.
But a few for you for now.