Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2020, 12:33 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I seem remember now and again ch4 use to have banned season and show films that were controversial, I think that’s where I first saw Brimstone and treacle with sting in it.
Yeah, that's more than likely. They seemed to like Dennis Potter at channel 4. I remember in the Censored Weekend at the end of the late 90's they showed Evil Dead 2 and in the intro Kermode said it was the cut version. It wasn't. Oops. In that weekend they also showed Bad Lieutenant. It was the cut version but it had Schooly D's Signifying Rapper on the soundtrack that was removed from all versions but the cinema version. In my opinion the removal of the song really hurt the film. It's brilliant without it but it's a harder film with it in it. I'd rather watch the cut version with Schoolly D's song in it than the uncut version without it but it's probably never going to see the light of day again. I'd also like to see the 'R' rated cut get a release just to see the scenes exclusive to it at least once.
Old 10th September 2020, 05:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnashsear View Post
Yeah, that's more than likely. They seemed to like Dennis Potter at channel 4. I remember in the Censored Weekend at the end of the late 90's they showed Evil Dead 2 and in the intro Kermode said it was the cut version. It wasn't. Oops. In that weekend they also showed Bad Lieutenant. It was the cut version but it had Schooly D's Signifying Rapper on the soundtrack that was removed from all versions but the cinema version. In my opinion the removal of the song really hurt the film. It's brilliant without it but it's a harder film with it in it. I'd rather watch the cut version with Schoolly D's song in it than the uncut version without it but it's probably never going to see the light of day again. I'd also like to see the 'R' rated cut get a release just to see the scenes exclusive to it at least once.
So goes to show how much difference a film can be with either a decent soundtrack or the correct background music.
Old 10th September 2020, 10:15 AM
Cultist

I remember loving the David Cronenberg intros most of all; Dead Ringers, Rabid and Shivers

I also remember enjoying Escape From New York into.

I might be misremembering but I am sure there was one for Psychomania too. A film I hated the first time I seen it, but his intro made me see it again and (somewhat) like it this time

i would love to see them all again but I remember searching for them on youtube a few years back and could only find the Terminator and a few others.
Old 10th September 2020, 01:48 PM
Cult Addict

Reaper posted the links for the Rabid and Psychomania intros on the 2nd page of this thread.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 10th September 2020, 08:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

When was the last time any of those Moviedrome movies was on the TV?
Old 10th September 2020, 08:18 PM
Cult Addict

Psychomania was on about 2010, as i was in a new house.
Think Videodrome was on film 4 but i think a hell of a lot don't see the light of day on T.V anymore.

Old 10th September 2020, 08:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I seem remember now and again ch4 use to have banned season and show films that were controversial, I think that’s where I first saw Brimstone and treacle with sting in it.
There was a censored season that definitely showed Brimstone and Freaks, as i was at school and definitely remember being psyched up during those days.

I think they may have shown Jubilee as well but i'm not sure on that one.

Old 10th September 2020, 08:25 PM
Cult Addict

They also definitely did a Banned weekend with slightly cut versions of Zombie Flesh Eaters and Salon Kitty, i had a postcard set from channel 4 at one point connected to it.
marvinnashsear likes this.

Old 10th September 2020, 08:29 PM
Cult Addict

I also remember a fuller cut of The Devils on T.V than the current DVD, or it had extra cut scenes in a documentary,.
Also a version of Caligula on Ch 4 with extra scenes that had been scanned to remove hardcore footage but was much more explicit than what was on dvd over here at the time.

Old 10th September 2020, 08:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Psychomania was on about 2010, as i was in a new house.
Think Videodrome was on film 4 but i think a hell of a lot don't see the light of day on T.V anymore.
And that reason alone is why collectors buy their films, and other half’s don’t understand and think just stream them,
Plus a certain lot of films are so gory and violent can’t ever see them being shown on any tv/ sky etc, eg AU trilogy, msp, category III films etc etc etc.

Like this? Share it using the links below!