Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Upcoming UK Blu-ray Releases (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/1782-upcoming-uk-blu-ray-releases.html)

Inspector Tanzi 28th November 2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 114453)
Got mine this morning. :woot:

What the bloody hell is going on with the packaging?

Paper cover stuck on the back with all the specs and stuff, but this passes under the bottom round to the front, so you can't open the box unless you remove this (or cut it). Take the paper cover off the back to reveal the old poster, but then what do you do with the cover and specs sheet. It doesn't fit inside the case.

:crazy:

Quite a few steelbooks come like this or very close in style ro it. What I go is carefully fold it in half and insert it into the box.

brain dead 30th November 2010 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 113502)
Amazon have dispatched my copy of Peeping Tom today. :woot:

Received mine today. And it's definitely region locked.
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9210/pt10.jpg

But, after pressing a few buttons I got it to play. :woot:
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9009/pt2qz.jpg

I'll have to figure out how I did it and see if it (or something like it) works on Metropolis, too.

Edit: Yep, it worked. Cheapass generic blu-ray players FTW
Now off to bluray.liesinc.net to see what I want to try next. The wife's gonna be mad. Luckily the parents send me amazon.co.uk gift certificates at xmas so I'm sure I can hold out until then.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th November 2010 07:05 AM

Glad you got it to play. :thumb:

I've usually found (with DVD players anyway) that the cheap-ass ones are usually the best.

As for the wife, well... you could always tell her that you're buying all of these UK titles to 'test' the limitations of your player... ;)

brain dead 30th November 2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 114809)
Glad you got it to play. :thumb:

I've usually found (with DVD players anyway) that the cheap-ass ones are usually the best.

As for the wife, well... you could always tell her that you're buying all of these UK titles to 'test' the limitations of your player... ;)

I remember my first DVd player. It was one of the cheap ones (of course, at the time it was I think 179 quid because it was 1999, but still the cheap one)
Multi-region, DTS decoder, all the good stuff. It lasted at least 8 years (gave it to my parents for their region free needs)

I got in on the pre-order when it was 7.99 so decided to keep it. We have a PC connected to the HDTV (via hdmi) and I was planning to get a blu-ray drive for that for B use. And because of the size of the pc, it'd have to be external or laptop sized so it'd be $100 minimum ($150 for the one I was looking at.)
So she should be happy I've saved $150 :lol:

And she knows what's up next... I was just talking about the Mesrine UK blu I'd be ordering when we got the pc-blu player .

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st December 2010 11:55 AM

Good job she's been briefed of what's coming next! :lol:

Coming in March: And Soon the Darkness (from Optimum / Studio Canal I'm guessing).

Yet another one added to the 2011 pre-order pile.

EDIT: Although it could be the remake... :eek:

The Man Who Fell to Earth - another due for release in March 2011.

Also Cronos, The Devil's Backbone, and Pan's Labyrinth are all getting SE Blu releases in February too.

Damn, 2011 is gonna be expensive!

the blob 1st December 2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 114992)
Coming in March: And Soon the Darkness (from Optimum / Studio Canal I'm guessing).

Yet another one added to the 2011 pre-order pile.

EDIT: Although it could be the remake... :eek:

I wonder if that's the original or remake. Remake isn't supposed to get a UK cinema release until Feb although it's out in the US this month so that would seem a bit soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 114993)
The Man Who Fell to Earth - another due for release in March 2011.

Another one to compare to the Criterion. Hmm...

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st December 2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 114994)
I wonder if that's the original or remake. Remake isn't supposed to get a UK cinema release until Feb although it's out in the US this month so that would seem a bit soon.

I really hope it's the original, and from your comments blob, I'm pretty sure it will be.

I love the film, and look forward to upgrading my standard DVD.

With all the great releases from Studio Canal next year, I'm hoping they release a Blu of Alphaville. :pray:

the blob 1st December 2010 12:14 PM

I recently sold my ABUS dvd of And Soon with the hope of possibly a Blu release when the remake comes out. Hope I don't have to resort to rebuying it! ABUS have already announced their remake release but not a word on the original. I think it would be a missed opportunity not to. :)

EDIT: Oh wait. Thought I'd check the Optimum site and there's no mention of a cinema release now and they have listings until March. Also turns out ABUS are releasing theirs at the end of this month on Blu so looks like even their theatrical release will be limited. I'm pretty sure that the Optimum will be the remake now. :(

the blob 1st December 2010 12:33 PM

The news is coming in thick and fast!

Manhunter (Blu-ray) - Blu-ray at Play.com (UK)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st December 2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 114997)
EDIT: Oh wait. Thought I'd check the Optimum site and there's no mention of a cinema release now and they have listings until March. Also turns out ABUS are releasing theirs at the end of this month on Blu so looks like even their theatrical release will be limited. I'm pretty sure that the Optimum will be the remake now. :(

Damn... :(

the blob 2nd December 2010 05:50 PM

And Soon the Darkness | British Video Association

That clears And Soon The Darkness up then. Year of production: 2010. Boooooo!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 2nd December 2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 115197)
And Soon the Darkness | British Video Association

That clears And Soon The Darkness up then. Year of production: 2010. Boooooo!

Boooooo! indeed. :(

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th December 2010 11:31 AM

Not sure if this has already been posted, but: Salon Kitty - Tinto Brass Cut is being released in March.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th December 2010 11:58 AM

Non-steelbook standard version of Shogun Assassin due in January.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th December 2010 01:22 PM

That's the one I'll probably buy as I've held off buying the Steelbook so far. I'm fine with a standard HD keep case as I have too many Steelbooks on display already!

brain dead 14th December 2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brain dead (Post 114847)
I got in on the pre-order when it was 7.99 so decided to keep it. We have a PC connected to the HDTV (via hdmi) and I was planning to get a blu-ray drive for that for B use. And because of the size of the pc, it'd have to be external or laptop sized so it'd be $100 minimum ($150 for the one I was looking at.)
So she should be happy I've saved $150 :lol:

And she knows what's up next... I was just talking about the Mesrine UK blu I'd be ordering when we got the pc-blu player .

Well, looks like Momentum are better at region locking their discs than was done to Peeping Tom and Metropolis. Mesrine didn't work :(
Back to the drawing board.
Recently read that bestbuy has a $130 player that's able to be changed regions. So I'll be looking into that.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th December 2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 116942)
That's the one I'll probably buy as I've held off buying the Steelbook so far. I'm fine with a standard HD keep case as I have too many Steelbooks on display already!

You can never have too many steelbooks. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by brain dead (Post 116949)
Well, looks like Momentum are better at region locking their discs than was done to Peeping Tom and Metropolis. Mesrine didn't work :(
Back to the drawing board.
Recently read that bestbuy has a $130 player that's able to be changed regions. So I'll be looking into that.

I'm going to look out for a cheap region unlockable Blu-Ray player at some point too. Too busy buying Blu-Rays at the moment though! :lol:

nekromantik 19th December 2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 116960)
You can never have too many steelbooks. ;)

I'm going to look out for a cheap region unlockable Blu-Ray player at some point too. Too busy buying Blu-Rays at the moment though! :lol:

best thing is PC drive :)
it even lets you do stuff like skip ad's automaticly AND if you got a foreign blu with forced subs you can switch them off and no stand alone player can do that. Plus you can pick a drive up for £50 atm.

brain dead 19th December 2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 116960)

The wife wanted an xbox 360 for xmas so off to best buy we go. Seems this player I mentioned is on sale this week for $89. Picked one up. Worked perfectly.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th December 2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 117621)
best thing is PC drive :)
it even lets you do stuff like skip ad's automaticly AND if you got a foreign blu with forced subs you can switch them off and no stand alone player can do that. Plus you can pick a drive up for £50 atm.

I already have one. ;)

Looking for a cheap player for the bedroom - it's DVD only at the moment.

I'm not bothered about getting a region all for the living room yet (PS3 does me fine at the moment) until I've upgraded my other equipment; hopefully in the next few years.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th December 2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brain dead (Post 117696)
The wife wanted an xbox 360 for xmas so off to best buy we go. Seems this player I mentioned is on sale this week for $89. Picked one up. Worked perfectly.

That's a good price - it's not urgent, but is definitely near the top of my wants list. Maybe in the new year...

nekromantik 20th December 2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 117705)
I already have one. ;)

Looking for a cheap player for the bedroom - it's DVD only at the moment.

I'm not bothered about getting a region all for the living room yet (PS3 does me fine at the moment) until I've upgraded my other equipment; hopefully in the next few years.

Ah good good.

I watched Videodrome on my PC and I got a GTX260 atm (soon upgrading to GTX460) and got smooth playback while doing other things, was good :)

Pete 26th December 2010 05:47 PM

UK BD of SALON KITTY coming from Argent in 2011:
Salon Kitty [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD

Sam 30th December 2010 05:50 PM

Does anyone know the position with Eureka's Face to Face blu ray?? You can still pre-order it on Amazon but it's disappeared from other retailers (Play, HMV etc) :confused:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th December 2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 119010)
Does anyone know the position with Eureka's Face to Face blu ray?? You can still pre-order it on Amazon but it's disappeared from other retailers (Play, HMV etc) :confused:

Last thing I'd heard was that it had been withdrawn due to the materials not being up to scratch for an HD release.

Sam 30th December 2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 119011)
Last thing I'd heard was that it had been withdrawn due to the materials not being up to scratch for an HD release.

That's what I heard as well (on here I think) but amazon are still listing it. They probably just didn't get around to removing it! I've got some amazon vouchers burning a hole in my pocket and not sure whether to order this and see what happens or go for Amer instead

oaxaca 30th December 2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Typical! I was really looking forward to that release!

Gojirosan 30th December 2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

That's very sad indeed.

Inspector Tanzi 30th December 2010 10:49 PM

I think I posted this before somewhere but here it is again ;)

FACCIA A FACCIA to be released on DVD ONLY Cat No: EKA40324

Please note that FACCIA A FACCIA will now be released on DVD ONLY

DVD Catalogue No: EKA40324 – to be released on 24 January 2011

The title was originally due to be released on blu-ray as well as DVD , but due to HD material not being available the blu-ray format has had to be pulled from the release schedule

It's a damn shame, I was looking forward to it.

the blob 10th January 2011 07:50 PM

Looking forward to this one. :)

Midnight Cowboy [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Jon Voight, Dustin Hoffman, John Schlesinger: DVD

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 08:05 PM

Looking forward to Leone's Once Upon A Time In America.:woot:

Apparently Optimum are releasing a Roeg classic double bill on the 7th of March-

DON'T LOOK NOW and THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH :clap:

the blob 10th January 2011 08:07 PM

Hmm.. I've got the Criterion Man Who Fell To Earth which is now OOP. Got to have Don't Look Now though!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 08:13 PM

Can't wait to see DLN in Hi Def-One of the most beautiful and haunting films ever made.:nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 121088)

Apparently Optimum are releasing a Roeg classic double bill on the 7th of March-

DON'T LOOK NOW and THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH :clap:

That would make a brilliant birthday present for me. I love both films and have the Special Edition of Don't Look Now and The Man Who Fell to Earth Criterion Collection DVD/book set.

oaxaca 10th January 2011 08:22 PM

Don't Look Now & Once Upon a Time in America!!! Both are must-buys for me :D

I'm just discovering Leone's films and desperately want to see his two 'Once Upon a Time' films... James Woods and Charles Bronson are two of my favourite actors!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 08:24 PM

Let's hope they make the DLN really special mate.

Interviews or a commentary with Sutherland and Christie would be amazing!

Especially to hear their comments on what is arguably the film's most infamous scene....;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 121103)
Don't Look Now & Once Upon a Time in America!!! Both are must-buys for me :D

I'm just discovering Leone's films and desperately want to see his two 'Once Upon a Time' films... James Woods and Charles Bronson are two of my favourite actors!

Woods in Once gives a career best mate.:nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 121106)
Let's hope they make the DLN really special mate.

Interviews or a commentary with Sutherland and Christie would be amazing!

Especially to hear their comments on what is arguably the film's most infamous scene....;)

Nic Roeg, in the commentary for the Special Edition, said that it was all acting and none of the rumours about it being real have any true to them whatsoever.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 08:30 PM

Yeah,I listened to that,but to get the thoughts of the actual participants on the scene would make interesting listening.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 08:32 PM

It works but I doubt they would do a commentary together; maybe one of them with a moderator or some in-depth interviews. Either would do me.