LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:32 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream demon View Post
I agree with you there. I have the old 2-disc SE of Rumble Fish and am very pleased that it is getting the MOC treatment.
I've seen it a couple of times on Sky Movies and don't own it on DVD, so the Steelbook is a definite purchase.
Old 5th May 2012, 09:32 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I've just had an e-mail from Amazon to say that The Plague of the Zombies and The Reptile have been delayed until June 18th.
Old 5th May 2012, 09:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I've just had an e-mail from Amazon to say that The Plague of the Zombies and The Reptile have been delayed until June 18th.
How dare they delay classic Hammer films
Old 5th May 2012, 10:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I had a feeling that would be the case, as that is the date displayed on the promo video Hammer added to YouTube just last week.

Old 5th May 2012, 10:28 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I hope that means they're going over these releases with a fine tooth comb as they clearly don't want something like the Dracula: Prince of Darkness release to happen to them.

I'd rather they took their time and released something which is spot on without any audio or visual glitches and perfect artwork and packaging them something which is made available before it's finished and be met with disapproving reviews and necessitating replacement discs.
Old 5th May 2012, 02:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I hope that means they're going over these releases with a fine tooth comb as they clearly don't want something like the Dracula: Prince of Darkness release to happen to them.

I'd rather they took their time and released something which is spot on without any audio or visual glitches and perfect artwork and packaging them something which is made available before it's finished and be met with disapproving reviews and necessitating replacement discs.
Speaking of Dracula POD, I received the replacement discs (DVD & BD) through the door today, not that I had any audio problems with the old disc, I just wanted a version with an intro that isn't DNR'd to all hell. I've even heard tell that they have improved the PQ in certain parts of the rest of the film but this isn't the official word and probably not the case.

Having just watched the intro, I can confirm its much sharper than it was previously. Much, much better! I'll now watch the rest and report back

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 6th May 2012, 08:39 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
Speaking of Dracula POD, I received the replacement discs (DVD & BD) through the door today, not that I had any audio problems with the old disc, I just wanted a version with an intro that isn't DNR'd to all hell. I've even heard tell that they have improved the PQ in certain parts of the rest of the film but this isn't the official word and probably not the case.

Having just watched the intro, I can confirm its much sharper than it was previously. Much, much better! I'll now watch the rest and report back
Watched the revised version yesterday. The flashback intro is much improved in PQ as I mentioned yesterday and no longer looks like a cartoon. But the rest of the film looks exactly the same as expected. The PQ is just not up to scratch, there's no fine detail, and it pales in comparison to QUATERMASS. I hope they improve things for THE REPTILE & PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES

Old 6th May 2012, 09:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
Watched the revised version yesterday. The flashback intro is much improved in PQ as I mentioned yesterday and no longer looks like a cartoon. But the rest of the film looks exactly the same as expected. The PQ is just not up to scratch, there's no fine detail, and it pales in comparison to QUATERMASS. I hope they improve things for THE REPTILE & PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES
Thanks.

I wanted this on BD but won't buy it because of the PQ.
Old 6th May 2012, 02:21 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnToZero View Post
Thanks.

I wanted this on BD but won't buy it because of the PQ.
That's probably a subjective thing. I've talked to other people who think the DPOD Blu looks stunning. I'll be getting it and judging it for myself rather than just taking other people's word for it. I'm not saying they're right or wrong, just that I'd rather judge for myself. If I always listened to other people I'd have missed out on what I consider to be great BDs.
Old 6th May 2012, 02:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
That's probably a subjective thing. I've talked to other people who think the DPOD Blu looks stunning. I'll be getting it and judging it for myself rather than just taking other people's word for it. I'm not saying they're right or wrong, just that I'd rather judge for myself. If I always listened to other people I'd have missed out on what I consider to be great BDs.
That's a fair enough point of view

Personally speaking, I'd vehemently disagree that DPOD looks stunning though. OK colours are great and noise/specks/grain greatly reduced but I want to see a high resolution image when I buy a blu ray and DPOD just looks soft and often downright waxy in places... Its just really heavyhanded noise reduction. I was far more pleased by Koch's treatment of HELL HOUSE and I'd only give the PQ of that 3/5. I know Hammer or Studio Canal or whoever they use to do these transfers could have done a better job with DPOD, just look at the transfers out there for WITCHFINDER GENERAL and their own QUATERMASS and look at the resolution on older films (even silent films) that Eureka put out. For me DPOD was extremely disappointing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!