Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Upcoming UK Blu-ray Releases (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/1782-upcoming-uk-blu-ray-releases.html)

Mojo 7th August 2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 264149)
I do like the look of this and I'm tempted to cancel my pre-order of the standard set for this, but what's bugging me is why they've decided to have a pic of Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's Monster on the front of the coffin, surely Bela Lugosi as Dracula would've been more fitting :crazy:

I must admit for me Karloff is the classic Universal monster. Lugosi's Dracula is dreadful.

Rik 7th August 2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 264339)
I must admit for me Karloff is the classic Universal monster. Lugosi's Dracula is dreadful.

I kinda agree with you here, the point I was trying to make is that it's a coffin shaped box, so maybe Lugosi on the front would be more apt. I'm still buying it though, £41.99 from Sainsbury's Entertainment, cheapest I've seen it so far :woot:

Daemonia 7th August 2012 11:12 PM

What? You don't like Lugosi's Dracula? What's wrong with horror fans these days? Are you all so hip and post-modern that trashing the greats is kinda trendy? I don't get it.

Well, I do. Sorta. But I wholly disagree. :lol:

Mojo 8th August 2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 264406)
What? You don't like Lugosi's Dracula? What's wrong with horror fans these days? Are you all so hip and post-modern that trashing the greats is kinda trendy? I don't get it.

Well, I do. Sorta. But I wholly disagree. :lol:

I'm not trashing the greats Dae - I just don't like Lugosi's Dracula! For me Christopher Lee is Dracula and I can't 'get' anyone else's version, including Lugosi's hammy performance. Karloff's Frankenstein monster, on the other hand, is fantastic. I love the old Universal horrors and will definitely be getting this set.

Hey - I'm one of the older members on here - I love classic horror ( particularly 60s and 70s films ). In fact it's the modern stuff that rarely interests me these days ;)

Hawkmonger 8th August 2012 07:39 AM

Haha! Now i'm probably the youngest member on here, and I to am in the same bout! There have been a few odern horror's of note (Insidius, The Woman in Black etc) but for the most part i'm of an older mind. Hell. i'd take the Universal movie's over 'shudder' Paranormal Activity, which seem's to be the adoration of kid's my age at the moment.:crazy:

Amusingly, when I recently went to go and see Quatermass and the Pit at the cinema I was the youngest person in the audience by about 20 years!:lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th August 2012 07:49 AM

Part of the problem with Lugosi's Dracula is Tod Browning was unable to grasp the sound concept as easily as James Whale, so the action isn't as fluid and is more stagey in Dracula.

As far as I'm concerned, they are both iconic characters deserving of a place on the box, with Dracula making more sense to to the coffin shape.

Mojo 8th August 2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 264432)
Haha! Now i'm probably the youngest member on here, and I to am in the same bout! There have been a few odern horror's of note (Insidius, The Woman in Black etc) but for the most part i'm of an older mind. Hell. i'd take the Universal movie's over 'shudder' Paranormal Activity, which seem's to be the adoration of kid's my age at the moment.:crazy:

Amusingly, when I recently went to go and see Quatermass and the Pit at the cinema I was the youngest person in the audience by about 20 years!:lol:

Nice one Hawk! :D

To my eternal shame I haven't seen The Woman In Black yet ( I'm waiting for the uncut '15' rated BD ) but I really liked Insidious - it was terrific.

fuzzymctiger 8th August 2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 264432)

When Halloween and Dawn Of The Dead screen at my local theater in October, I'm guessing I'll probably be the youngest there. That is if I can get in, being 15 and all....

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th August 2012 08:53 PM

They're having a laugh with this crap looking steelbook!

http://img.tapatalk.com/5c0219b1-d1e2-7379.jpg

Hawkmonger 8th August 2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 264587)
They're having a laugh with this crap looking steelbook!

http://img.tapatalk.com/5c0219b1-d1e2-7379.jpg

Oh great.
I THINK I JUST CONTRACTED AID'S LOOKING AT THAT COVER!!!!!!!!!