Like Tree4253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th November 2010, 09:48 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Got mine this morning.

What the bloody hell is going on with the packaging?

Paper cover stuck on the back with all the specs and stuff, but this passes under the bottom round to the front, so you can't open the box unless you remove this (or cut it). Take the paper cover off the back to reveal the old poster, but then what do you do with the cover and specs sheet. It doesn't fit inside the case.

Quite a few steelbooks come like this or very close in style ro it. What I go is carefully fold it in half and insert it into the box.
Old 30th November 2010, 01:47 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Amazon have dispatched my copy of Peeping Tom today.
Received mine today. And it's definitely region locked.

But, after pressing a few buttons I got it to play.

I'll have to figure out how I did it and see if it (or something like it) works on Metropolis, too.

Edit: Yep, it worked. Cheapass generic blu-ray players FTW
Now off to bluray.liesinc.net to see what I want to try next. The wife's gonna be mad. Luckily the parents send me amazon.co.uk gift certificates at xmas so I'm sure I can hold out until then.

Last edited by brain dead; 30th November 2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 30th November 2010, 07:05 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Glad you got it to play.

I've usually found (with DVD players anyway) that the cheap-ass ones are usually the best.

As for the wife, well... you could always tell her that you're buying all of these UK titles to 'test' the limitations of your player...
Old 30th November 2010, 01:41 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Glad you got it to play.

I've usually found (with DVD players anyway) that the cheap-ass ones are usually the best.

As for the wife, well... you could always tell her that you're buying all of these UK titles to 'test' the limitations of your player...
I remember my first DVd player. It was one of the cheap ones (of course, at the time it was I think 179 quid because it was 1999, but still the cheap one)
Multi-region, DTS decoder, all the good stuff. It lasted at least 8 years (gave it to my parents for their region free needs)

I got in on the pre-order when it was 7.99 so decided to keep it. We have a PC connected to the HDTV (via hdmi) and I was planning to get a blu-ray drive for that for B use. And because of the size of the pc, it'd have to be external or laptop sized so it'd be $100 minimum ($150 for the one I was looking at.)
So she should be happy I've saved $150

And she knows what's up next... I was just talking about the Mesrine UK blu I'd be ordering when we got the pc-blu player .
Old 1st December 2010, 11:55 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Good job she's been briefed of what's coming next!

Coming in March: And Soon the Darkness (from Optimum / Studio Canal I'm guessing).

Yet another one added to the 2011 pre-order pile.

EDIT: Although it could be the remake...

The Man Who Fell to Earth - another due for release in March 2011.

Also Cronos, The Devil's Backbone, and Pan's Labyrinth are all getting SE Blu releases in February too.

Damn, 2011 is gonna be expensive!

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 1st December 2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Three posts in only five minutes.
Old 1st December 2010, 12:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Coming in March: And Soon the Darkness (from Optimum / Studio Canal I'm guessing).

Yet another one added to the 2011 pre-order pile.

EDIT: Although it could be the remake...
I wonder if that's the original or remake. Remake isn't supposed to get a UK cinema release until Feb although it's out in the US this month so that would seem a bit soon.

Quote:
The Man Who Fell to Earth - another due for release in March 2011.
Another one to compare to the Criterion. Hmm...

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 1st December 2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Two posts in only two minutes
Old 1st December 2010, 12:05 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
I wonder if that's the original or remake. Remake isn't supposed to get a UK cinema release until Feb although it's out in the US this month so that would seem a bit soon.
I really hope it's the original, and from your comments blob, I'm pretty sure it will be.

I love the film, and look forward to upgrading my standard DVD.

With all the great releases from Studio Canal next year, I'm hoping they release a Blu of Alphaville.
Old 1st December 2010, 12:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I recently sold my ABUS dvd of And Soon with the hope of possibly a Blu release when the remake comes out. Hope I don't have to resort to rebuying it! ABUS have already announced their remake release but not a word on the original. I think it would be a missed opportunity not to.

EDIT: Oh wait. Thought I'd check the Optimum site and there's no mention of a cinema release now and they have listings until March. Also turns out ABUS are releasing theirs at the end of this month on Blu so looks like even their theatrical release will be limited. I'm pretty sure that the Optimum will be the remake now.

Last edited by the blob; 1st December 2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 1st December 2010, 12:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The news is coming in thick and fast!

Manhunter (Blu-ray) - Blu-ray at Play.com (UK)
Old 1st December 2010, 06:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
EDIT: Oh wait. Thought I'd check the Optimum site and there's no mention of a cinema release now and they have listings until March. Also turns out ABUS are releasing theirs at the end of this month on Blu so looks like even their theatrical release will be limited. I'm pretty sure that the Optimum will be the remake now.
Damn...

Like this? Share it using the links below!