Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree1862Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2011, 12:34 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Question Is it Worth Buying?

I created this thread for all boys and girls out there who want to buy a DVD or Blu-ray or VHS or whatever and don't know much more than the title and the plot synopsis.

It should be used for specific questions like these:
- Is movie XYZ a great flick, a horrible bummer, or a Trash grenade?
- Is XYZ's release a good one? Is the transfer ok? Is it uncut?
- I have been offered the flicks A, B, and C for xxx bucks in a box - is this cheap?

With so many active members, it should be an easy and quick thing to get an answer - as there's a high chance that someone here owns the release in question.

Remember: It should not be used for any questions concerning Arrow or Shameless releases - as we've got plenty forums and subforums for those. It's also not the place to discuss recent buys or general buying experiences - there are other threads for that.

Greetings!

PS: If there's already a very similar thread, I'd like some Mod to merge the threads - I haven't found one by now, though.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 25th July 2011, 03:05 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Well, it's me posting the first question then.

There's a nice-looking boxset called the "B Movie Campaign Boxset". It includes the following films:

- Return of the Killer Tomatoes!
- Elvira - Mistress of the Dark
- Return to Horror High
- Creature
- The Stuff
- Crocodile
- Hell Comes to Frogtown
- Rats
- Slugs
- Octopus
- Spiders
- Night of the Living Dead (Colour version)

It'll be nice if some friendly chaps could pick two or three flicks each (or all ) and shortly comment on the quality and the fun factor of the movies. You could also give them a rating from 0 to 5 (with zero meaning "Forget about it.").

Greetings!

PS: Please don't comment on the last one - I know and I love the movie; and yes, the colourised version is rubbish.
Old 25th July 2011, 03:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I was interested in the B- Movie box set, i had Night, Elvira,Crocodile, Octopus and Spiders. i just picked up the individual titles i really wanted - Slugs, and The Stuff which are direct ports from the US Anchor Bay releases (I found that out thanks to Stephen on here )

The set is excellent value if you don't have any of them.

Incidently, Crocodile is directed by Tobe Hooper.
Old 25th July 2011, 04:17 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Great idea for a thread! I too am interested in the b-movie box set and wonder if it's worth it. Sometimes with box sets like this the transfers are poor but it's always quite cheap online so I've always been tempted.
Old 25th July 2011, 04:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

In regards to the B-Movie Boxset, I have three of the titles mentioned; Hell Comes to Frogtown, Slugs, and The Stuff as they were also released as stand-alone discs.

All three are ports of the ABUS discs (even down to the distributor logos pre-credit sequence ).

As for the films themselves, each definitely fits their respective 'B-movie' moniker, and are terrific slices of pungent cheese.

Hell Comes to Frogtown sees a post-They Live 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper battle giant talking frogs in a post-apocalyptic action packed fun-fest - I guess his career never recovered after this, but it's a great watch.

Slugs deals with - wait for it - killer slugs... it's a campy little creature-feature (incidentally by the same guy who directed the amazing Pieces! ) and doesn't disappoint in either the slug or the cheesy '80s dialogue department.

The Stuff is probably my favourite of the three and deals with a strange substance (called 'The Stuff' ) that replaces ice-cream (and frozen yoghurt I guess, as it's based in the US ) across the land, which is also highly addictive and turns everyone who eats it into mindless (killer!) drones.

Whilst I've seen most of the others in the set, I can't comment on the quality of the discs. The three I mentioned above are (surprisingly) decent transfers, and well worth a punt if you can find the set or the individual releases at a reasonable price.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 25th July 2011, 04:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

As a mirror image to BE, I hated Slugs, found it slow paced and irritating and I hated Hell Comes To Frogtown, low-rent Troma style but with none of the 'class'.

The Stuff is a great little 80's B-movie though, and has the catchiest theme tune for a fictional product of any film ever made. And it stars the original Harry Potter, Michael Moriarty!

Also, the only other film I've seen from that set is Return of The Killer Tomatoes and it was an absolute turd-burger. Not a patch on the original.
Old 25th July 2011, 04:57 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
Also, the only other film I've seen from that set is Return of The Killer Tomatoes and it was an absolute turd-burger. Not a patch on the original.
Got to agree with you there!
Old 25th July 2011, 05:22 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

does anyone have any info on those Drive-in Movie boxsets that sell for cheap on Amazon, Ive always been tempted by them but after wasting money on the mill Creek 20 movie collections im a bit apprehensive.

Drive-In Cult Classics DVD Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Artist Not Provided: Film & TV
Old 25th July 2011, 05:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
does anyone have any info on those Drive-in Movie boxsets that sell for cheap on Amazon, Ive always been tempted by them but after wasting money on the mill Creek 20 movie collections im a bit apprehensive.

Drive-In Cult Classics DVD Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Artist Not Provided: Film & TV
I can't recomend them highly enough. One or two prints are not brilliant but they are the minority. I have the ones pictured below. There are some terrific films such as The Babysitter, The Pink Angels, Madmen of Mandoras, The Devil's Hand, Trip With the Teacher and The Teacher.The set you posted is a collection of the original box sets which i have. You can't really go wrong imo for the price.

My fave set by far is Girls Guns and G-strings, all are 80's/90's action films by Andy Sidaris and feature loads of action with both guns and breasts. All prints on this set are superb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51PhfxQPiIL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (24.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 51CTY69LCiL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (25.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 51Ml5KkBO6L__SL500_AA300_.jpg (19.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 51QUoxKqxvL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (25.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 61gcdf4Yh2L__SL500_AA300_.jpg (30.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 51NW1QoiKDL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (21.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 25th July 2011, 05:52 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I can't recomend them highly enough. One or two prints are not brilliant but they are the minority. I have the ones pictured below. There are some terrific films such as The Babysitter, The Pink Angels, Madmen of Mandoras, The Devil's Hand, Trip With the Teacher and The Teacher.The set you posted is a collection of the original box sets which i have. You can't really go wrong imo for the price.

My fave set by far is Girls Guns and G-strings, all are 80's/90's action films by Andy Sidaris and feature loads of action with both guns and breasts. All prints on this set are superb.
awesome, cheers for that Demdike...

Like this? Share it using the links below!