Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree6109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2011, 09:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just noticed SOLDIER BLUE has been released in Italy.

Soldato Blu :: Kultvideo ::
Old 28th July 2011, 10:01 AM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I thought we'd never have to return to the days of being locked out of various regions. The real icing on the cake was the Blu-ray Group putting Japan into Region A. Sneaky. They were always in Region 2 on DVD, same as us. Now we're locked out. I'd love to go multi-region for Blu-ray, but I'm just totally skint at the moment and the little cash I have goes on Blu-rays. Sony were determined to put strict region coding in place with Blu-ray (HD DVD had no region coding whatsoever).

I'm a bit annoyed that Sony had such a hand in the creation of Blu-ray, as they're also a film studio and thus have a bias. And yet, having insisted on such rigid coding, nearly all Sony releases are region-free. Go figure.

Well said, I'm afraid I can see a future where multi-nationals will control what we see and how we see it. Not many know, but since the days of console games large companies have tried to copyright property to individual regions, It's technically illegal to use computer games outside of their region(i.e. imports including arcade machines and their roms) probably soon be the same with DVDs and other media(you don't actually buy the game/film, you buy the hardware it comes on, the content/copyright still belongs to the company!!!) that's why you can't have a copy(even if you own the original, games companies have long since stopped allowing back-up roms) read the copyright notice included on media, it's much more severe than you might think. Tho don't panic, it's also forbidden to make a tape/mp3 of ANY commercial music, but no one ever got arrested for taping the top 40(yet).My mate bought a payg mobile phone for £129, he showed me the terms and conditions, something like "All the hardware, sim card and related items remain the the property of ******* and may be subject to repossesion without notice" Nice. All we want to do is watch movies and play games
Old 28th July 2011, 10:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but MGM will be releasing a 40th Anniversay BD of Sam Peckinpah's STRAW DOGS in September.

Straw Dogs 40th Anniversary Blu-ray
Nice! Gonna have to pre-order that bad boy.

You make it easy.
Old 29th July 2011, 01:03 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
Well said, I'm afraid I can see a future where multi-nationals will control what we see and how we see it. Not many know, but since the days of console games large companies have tried to copyright property to individual regions, It's technically illegal to use computer games outside of their region(i.e. imports including arcade machines and their roms) probably soon be the same with DVDs and other media(you don't actually buy the game/film, you buy the hardware it comes on, the content/copyright still belongs to the company!!!) that's why you can't have a copy(even if you own the original, games companies have long since stopped allowing back-up roms) read the copyright notice included on media, it's much more severe than you might think. Tho don't panic, it's also forbidden to make a tape/mp3 of ANY commercial music, but no one ever got arrested for taping the top 40(yet).My mate bought a payg mobile phone for £129, he showed me the terms and conditions, something like "All the hardware, sim card and related items remain the the property of ******* and may be subject to repossesion without notice" Nice. All we want to do is watch movies and play games
Exactly, it's as ridiculous as buying a book at the airport in New York and being told you can't read it once you leave the USA. Or you buy a coat in Paris and you're told you can't wear it in London.
Old 29th July 2011, 09:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
And judging by their Vampire Circus BD, this will no doubt be region-locked too. Not sure why, though, has there been a Region B release? Who would be losing out, exactly?

I hate all this region-coding nonsense, but ****ed if I'm playing all that money to have my player chipped. I might look into getting a cheap Region A locked player though.
The Technika blu-ray player that Tesco were selling a while back is multi-region for blu-ray. You have to enter a code and switch the region over each time, but for about £50 it seems like a bargain.
Old 29th July 2011, 09:44 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refused View Post
The Technika blu-ray player that Tesco were selling a while back is multi-region for blu-ray. You have to enter a code and switch the region over each time, but for about £50 it seems like a bargain.
That is good value and sounds like the one I have, which I keep set to Region A and use my PS3 for all there Region B/All discs.

I've just pre-ordered the US release of Mimic plus The Bridge on the River Kwai.
Old 29th July 2011, 04:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Terence Hill and Bud Spencer movie CRIME BUSTERS has been released on blu-ray in germany

I due superpiedi quasi piatti :: Kultvideo ::
Old 30th July 2011, 12:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

New US BD of EVIL DEAD 2 on the way from Lionsgate:

Walmart.com: Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn (Blu-ray) (Widescreen): Blu-ray
Old 30th July 2011, 01:51 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
New US BD of EVIL DEAD 2 on the way from Lionsgate:

Walmart.com: Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn (Blu-ray) (Widescreen): Blu-ray
I'm sure I also read somewhere they now have the US rights to Evil Dead too. Didn't get the AB ED2 because of the bad rep it got so I'll pick this one up and hope they do a better job.
Old 30th July 2011, 07:13 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That is good value and sounds like the one I have, which I keep set to Region A and use my PS3 for all there Region B/All discs.

I've just pre-ordered the US release of Mimic plus The Bridge on the River Kwai.
Perhaps a thread for reccommending multi-region capeable blus?

especially budget ones, i'm a ,inimum wage slave with a nasty dvd-blu habit and a house to run so £400+ for a player is totally out for me

I have a ps3, but any tampering with that will get noticed by sony, whose constant firmware updating makes sure the machine wont run any unauthorised software for long.

Like the idea of a switching a budget blu-player to A though.
Some of the tesco players couldent be updated and a few people ended up not being able to run newer discs.

Like this? Share it using the links below!