Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2010, 01:21 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Yes, that German The Howling looks very desirable. I'll wait for reviews and then see about getting a copy, if they're favourable.
Old 18th May 2010, 05:13 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Breakfast Club is getting a blu-ray release in the U.S. on August 3rd.Now where's Sixteen Candles?
Old 18th May 2010, 11:59 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Breakfast Club is one I might pick up. I never saw it when it was released (too busy immersing myself in horror movies at the time) and I was pleasantly surprised by it when I saw it years later. It perfectly captures the spirit of that era, the whole youths-acting-disaffected-even-though-they're-not-really culture is brilliantly represented.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:59 AM
Cultist in Training

Greetings, folks.

Haven't been around in a while, but wanted to let everyone know I just finished my review for Django, which should be live soon. Although coming from Blue Underground, the disc is unfortunately Region A locked.

On the brighter side, the video is absolutely stunning with good audio. This is the best I've ever seen the Italian western classic! Releases next Tuesday in the States.

BD collection
Old 19th May 2010, 01:06 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Django is region-locked? Well, Argent films, associated with Arrow etc have UK rights to the film, so could we possibly be seeing a domestic release on Blu-ray..?

Oh well, no sale here for BU on that title. I bet it being a niche title AND region-locked, they'll feel the pinch with fewer international sales than usual. Why do companies still employ this archaic practise of region-coding? It's utter madness and only serves to restrict sales for smaller labels who could really do with the extra revenue and, more importantly, restricts consumer choice. Oh well, if BU want to lock us out of this title, so be it - I really thought they understood the importance of tapping into the global marketplace. Put it this way, most of the Blu-ray owners on this forum would've bought this title (and we're just a small representation of a much larger demographic) but now most of us can't. That's quite a chunk of lost sales.
Old 19th May 2010, 01:25 AM
Cultist in Training

I agree on all counts. Considering it's coming from BU, I was shocked when I tested it on both my players. This is definitely the right crowd for this Corbucci classic, and as a niche title, they really are going to miss the opportunity selling to a much larger demographic. They're first to this title on BD, so they are going to hurt from the mistake of region-locking.

BD collection
Old 19th May 2010, 11:14 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

They may be contractually obliged by the licensor to region-lock the title (probably so they can sell the title to other territories) so it may not be BU's choosing. However, if they don't license this to other territories, it renders that move null and void. It's stupidity, really - as not only is it a niche title for a niche audience, with Blu-ray it's also still a niche format. So on those counts BU need to have as wide a net as possible for a consumer base. I predict that this will be their worst selling Blu-ray to date. Once they see that, I hope that they'll return to their practise of releasing titles region-free.

This is why I had always secretly hoped that HD DVD would've been the dominant format. Whilst its spec might not have been as impressive as BD (although I never had any complaints, BD doesn't actually look any better) it was totally 100% region-free and the players were all without region-coding too (for HD DVD) so it's not like they could introduce it without making hardware changes. Oh well, looks like we're stuck with region-coding for another generation of home entertainment. I thought I was done with all that, but we've come back full circle to where our choices are once again being restricted.
Old 20th May 2010, 06:25 AM
Cultist in Training

I'm sure you're probably right as there doesn't seem much else that could explain it. I, too, detest the region-coding methods and was a big supporter of HD DVD for that primary reason. In July, BU is set to release The Prowler and I will check if that is locked also. I hope this will not become a standard with BU as they do have a wonderful catalog. I know Shout! Factory also has Forbidden World and Galaxy of Terror coming in July and Humanoids from the Deep in August. When they arrive, I will verify the region codes on those as well.

For what it's worth, the review for Django is now up at HDD.

BD collection
Old 20th May 2010, 12:05 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
I'm sure you're probably right as there doesn't seem much else that could explain it. I, too, detest the region-coding methods and was a big supporter of HD DVD for that primary reason. In July, BU is set to release The Prowler and I will check if that is locked also. I hope this will not become a standard with BU as they do have a wonderful catalog. I know Shout! Factory also has Forbidden World and Galaxy of Terror coming in July and Humanoids from the Deep in August. When they arrive, I will verify the region codes on those as well.

For what it's worth, the review for Django is now up at HDD.
That would be brilliant if you could keep us appraised as to what is region-locked and what's not. It would certainly help us to make an informed choice (I sound like Simon Bates on those old VHS tapes explaining the age ratings ).
Old 20th May 2010, 03:32 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm in Region A land at the moment and the Region coding really is a backward step. I'm actually planning on moving back to the UK at the end of the year so it looks like I'll be buying a second player which will hopefully be Region free. There are now too many region B locked movies I want and f/when my US PS3 craps out I'll have a bunch of Region A locked movies that I'll need to watch. Hopefully sometime there'll be a proliferation of good Region free players and it'll all become a moot point just like DVD. I was also a HD DVD supporter for that reason.

I can't personally see any other reason than contractual for BU to lock Django, given that all their other releases are Region free. You'd have thought they would have tried to stop people importing the Arrow COTLD and vice versa if it was in their agenda, especially as they both shared the transfer costs.

I have a feeling the Shout! Factory ones will be locked. They've done it with Audition and Rock 'N' Roll High School so I don't see any reason for them to change now.

Like this? Share it using the links below!