Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree6109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th December 2012, 06:45 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Maybe, maybe not. And for somethng like Fright Night, I couldn't wait 3 years....or maybe never. Got to remember, there are hundreds, if not thousands of films that have never even seen a dvd release. People say you've got to be crazy to think that these won't get a wider release later on, I go the other way. And when they don't, and people are sitting there sulking.....i'll be sitting here with the blu-ray
Unless we just go and download the films because the studios make it deliberately hard to simply go to a shop/online and buy the damnned film. There are so many ways to deal with the issue of demand for cult films that would benefit BOTH the studio's and the fans alike.

1. On demand. Warners are already doing this with dvd, exactly how hard would it be to expand this to blu-ray?

2. 1st editions, 2nd editions ect.. collectors with the money at hand to pay these prices get the 'collectible' editions (perhaps with freebies like art cards/posters ect) if the product sells well then re-issue it clearly marked as a second printing with different cover art and no free stuff.

3. Pay to download. Given sony is so certain noone wants to buy these films it costs them little to make the titles available in this manner. Hell I have fright night on blu-ray with bonus features, but what option was I given. Pay for the barebone TT disc with whopping great postage attached because they wont replace the disc if it becomes lost in the post otherwise? Not on my wages.

4. Simply let some other company that wants the rights for the film over in europe/asia/australia pay for the privilidge of releasing it there. That way they can gage the demand overseas without the risk.

Any of the above beat the TT model where fans end up not getting the product if they don't have the cash immediately to hand to pre-order!

Last edited by keirarts; 13th December 2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 14th December 2012, 10:17 AM
Cultist

Anyone mentioned this yet? March 26th.

But where's part 1?

Still a day one purchase for me.

Old 14th December 2012, 10:18 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Anyone mentioned this yet? March 26th.

But where's part 1?

Still a day one purchase for me.

Still with Anchor Bay I would imagine. And it seems they, or whoever has it now, is in no hurry to release it.
Old 14th December 2012, 10:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post

1. On demand. Warners are already doing this with dvd, exactly how hard would it be to expand this to blu-ray?
This is actually a perfectly acceptable idea, seeing as Warner are now doing Blu Rays for their Archive collection.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 14th December 2012, 03:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
This is actually a perfectly acceptable idea, seeing as Warner are now doing Blu Rays for their Archive collection.
I'm aware my previous posts may have been construed (I think thats the word) as an advocation of online piracy. I think its best to clarify here and now that I neither endorse, condone or support the theft of movies, as I work in retail my own livelyhood is impacted by this and I firmly believe that if its available in stores it should be bought not downloaded.

However I also maintain that TT and sony (mainly sony) business model in regards to films like FRIGHT NIGHT is deeply flawed. especially as customers in the united kingdom, europe, australia, asia ect are basically being told if they dont import these films IMMEDIATELY from twighlight time then they can forget about seeing the film in hi-def for about 3 years or possibly longer. Given that while piracy is theft and abhorrent ect, its still a real problem thats not going away anytime soon, sony's decision seems insane.

Surely if they dont believe that there is a market for these films (which in the case of Fright night was completely wrong, when the film was in theatres we got dozens of customers looking for it on dvd/blu-ray and leaving empty handed) then on demand is surely the better option to give people a chance of getting the discs without having to worry about the scalpers making a killing buying up multiple copies and putting the real fans who might not have the money to hand in a real dilemma.

This encourges piracy IN MY OPINION.
Old 14th December 2012, 03:52 PM
Cult Addict

Oh and I fully agree, phantasm 2 is a definate day one purchase for me as well!
Old 14th December 2012, 10:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

I can remember who it was talking about this movie on here, but Tommy Wiseau's "The Room" is coming on December 28.

A Pre-order on amazon is up.

Amazon.com: The Room Blu-ray: Tommy Wiseau, Juliette Danielle, Greg Sestero: Movies & TV

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 14th December 2012, 10:12 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
I can remember who it was talking about this movie on here, but Tommy Wiseau's "The Room" is coming on December 28.

Amazon.com: The Room Blu-ray: Tommy Wiseau, Juliette Danielle, Greg Sestero: Movies & TV
Ah, that would've been in the awful films part when Zombie Lake and Oasis of the Zombies were announced.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 14th December 2012, 10:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

Girlfreinds in bed. Time to fap.
Old 14th December 2012, 10:14 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:

I have to admit i would but a Blu Ray of this but for 37 bucks forget about it. The film is a classic for all the wrong reasons but so great

Like this? Share it using the links below!