Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree6109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th January 2014, 08:05 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
It's worth it for everyone else because it's a widescreen film.

Nope. It can be presented that way but I know a lot of people who prefer it unmatted. That's why the European release had the option of both. I'm hoping Blue underground give that option with the new release as there is some definite image loss at the top and bottom when framed for widescreen, it's why I never bothered with the Blue underground DVD release of the film.

The odds are good that if BU have secured a HD master and Don't bother giving that option someone else will release it and include the choice so while it's great that stagefright is coming to Blu-ray for me its worthless if I can't get the option. I'm kind of fussy with this film.
Old 12th January 2014, 09:03 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Nope. It can be presented that way but I know a lot of people who prefer it unmatted. That's why the European release had the option of both. I'm hoping Blue underground give that option with the new release as there is some definite image loss at the top and bottom when framed for widescreen, it's why I never bothered with the Blue underground DVD release of the film.

The odds are good that if BU have secured a HD master and Don't bother giving that option someone else will release it and include the choice so while it's great that stagefright is coming to Blu-ray for me its worthless if I can't get the option. I'm kind of fussy with this film.

Ah, but are you as fussy with the thousands of other films that have been matted to widescreen over the years? Has Soavi said it's supposed the be shown in 4:3, or was it always intended to be shown in widescreen?
Old 12th January 2014, 09:14 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Ah, but are you as fussy with the thousands of other films that have been matted to widescreen over the years? Has Soavi said it's supposed the be shown in 4:3, or was it always intended to be shown in widescreen?
Well I do have the same issues with kevin S Tenny's Night of the Demons which I had the old UK disc for. Watching it in widescreen bothers me some. As far as i'm aware Stagefright was shot for the home video market and framed as such. I've seen the film so many times now that I get frustrated watching it in widescreen. 1:66 sort of works as that was the redemption presentation but nope to 16:9

It's a moot point if BU decide to include the option on the disc anyway. No details are out yet so it could be me getting bothered over nothing. I've heard a UK company are looking to release it as well so i'm going to wait and see.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 12th January 2014, 09:17 AM
Cult Addict

Stagefright | Horrorview.com

This review sums the debate up perhaps. It's why i'm for releases having both options.
Old 12th January 2014, 09:29 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Ah, well if it was shot for the home video market, then I can see your point.
Old 12th January 2014, 11:54 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Ah, well if it was shot for the home video market, then I can see your point.
A LOT of the italian films coming out in that era (as the industry was in decline) were shot with home video very much in mind. Later Soavi films like the church and the sect were made widescreen as they had official Dario Argento production. Stagefright was relatively low budget in comparison (as it was his debut as director)

Again i do believe a lot of these video titles would benefit from the option of choosing either full or widescreen so noone is left dissapointed. I sort of hope Tenny's Night of the demon get the option as well but I doubt it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stage-Fright...ds=stagefright

This remains the best release of the film to date. But weirdly Anchor bay/Blue undergrounds remains one of the worst releases. Even the vipco release of stagefright is preferable. I do know however that BU got some static from fans over the DVD so its likely they may decide to offer the option of either widescreen and fullscreen. Then everyone's happy!
Old 12th January 2014, 12:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Stagefright | Horrorview.com

This review sums the debate up perhaps. It's why i'm for releases having both options.
We've been through this before and I said about 'A Bug's Life' having more image top and bottom in its 4:3 form but funnily enough you ignored that lol. Same with Terminator 3 showing Terminator breasts in 4:3 but not widescreen (BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT MEANT TO SEE THEM).

As for that link saying: ---'Stagefright was shot full frame, and matted for theatrical presentation, however, in its full screen video form, the viewer is actually seeing the whole picture, as is the case with most of Stanley Kubrick's works.'---

'Whole picture' is different to 'intended' picture, the 4:3 was just keeping TV and video in mind, not shooting FOR it, for instance 'The Shining's' intended viewing ratio is 1.66:1 and we haven't even had it released like that yet, which is very annoying.

If Soavi comes out and says Stagefright is meant to be viewed in 4:3, then fair enough, but so far you're just using your own viewing tastes and almost spreading disinformation. People who see you saying 'if it's not released in 4:3 it's a waste of time' might be put off buying it unnecessarily.
Old 12th January 2014, 02:33 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
We've been through this before and I said about 'A Bug's Life' having more image top and bottom in its 4:3 form but funnily enough you ignored that lol. Same with Terminator 3 showing Terminator breasts in 4:3 but not widescreen (BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT MEANT TO SEE THEM).

As for that link saying: ---'Stagefright was shot full frame, and matted for theatrical presentation, however, in its full screen video form, the viewer is actually seeing the whole picture, as is the case with most of Stanley Kubrick's works.'---

'Whole picture' is different to 'intended' picture, the 4:3 was just keeping TV and video in mind, not shooting FOR it, for instance 'The Shining's' intended viewing ratio is 1.66:1 and we haven't even had it released like that yet, which is very annoying.

If Soavi comes out and says Stagefright is meant to be viewed in 4:3, then fair enough, but so far you're just using your own viewing tastes and almost spreading disinformation. People who see you saying 'if it's not released in 4:3 it's a waste of time' mi ght be put off buying it unnecessarily.
Its not just my viewpoint though. A lot of fans of the film skipped the blu/anchor bay dvd releases and opted for the ec release i linked above because its the preferred ratio for them. If people want the matted version then fine but im not "spreading misinformation" I could level the same argument straight back for saying "its a widescreen film" when it 4:3. Outside the bu release on dvd the closest home video presentation ive seen in widescreen was the redemption tape at 1:66.

Honestly. If asked for my opinion. If the release is presented 16:9/1:85:1 i would be more than happy to reccomend not buying the film. But then we dont know what the disc is going to feature yet it could contain the option of both ratios and be an essential purchase. Given the dvd releases from bu and anchor bay were so dissapointing im just erring on the side of cauton. Also bugs life and t3 were intended as theatrical presentations from the get go as they were both big budget studio pictures. Stagefright was not.
Old 12th January 2014, 03:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

There's always the UK release coming up too, from Exposure. Although I can't see it being hugely different to the BU release, as they both seem to be coming around the same time, and I imagine the aspect ratio will be decided by the Italian lab restoring it.

I had wondered if it was still on the cards, and apparently it is, someone posted a still from a new interview for the release with Barbara Cupisti on Blu-ray.com.
Old 12th January 2014, 03:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
There's always the UK release coming up too, from Exposure. Although I can't see it being hugely different to the BU release, as they both seem to be coming around the same time, and I imagine the aspect ratio will be decided by the Italian lab restoring it.

I had wondered if it was still on the cards, and apparently it is, someone posted a still from a new interview for the release with Barbara Cupisti on Blu-ray.com.
Given the releases of some of the hammer films and Touch of evil all offered different options for ratio where the correct presentation was in dispute i'm hoping at least one of the release will give the option for both. That's the one i'm going to buy.

Like this? Share it using the links below!