Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2014, 07:09 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I do agree in some respects, although some of Grillet's films centre around erotic themes, plus some also express a horror/surreal quality which would stand them in good stead alongside say some of Rollin's films.

As you've seen from the latest purchases thread, I decided to pull the trigger on the BFI Grillet box rather than picking up the individual releases from Redemption. Mainly because the boxset was just over £40 which means that each film works out as less than £7 a piece - a real bargain - but also I can't see Redemption releasing all 6 films themselves; despite having three of them as upcoming/announced titles already. BFI may eventually release them individually too, but no doubt at more than £7 a piece... at least to begin with.
Well I really HAVE to get those Redemption blus to avoid full OCD breakdown due to the numbered spines.. Now they seem to be getting better releases in the UK its annoying me.
Old 7th February 2014, 07:15 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Well I really HAVE to get those Redemption blus to avoid full OCD breakdown due to the numbered spines.. Now they seem to be getting better releases in the UK its annoying me.
Ah, I see!

I actually have all their releases so far except for Oasis of the Zombies and Zombie Lake. Also, even though I keep their releases together on my shelves I don't arrange them by spine number so the desire to own them all based on this has never been an issue for me... I suppose you could always double dip?

However, not only are BFI's releases going to be cheaper, you will probably get more of a complete package in terms of extras too.
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th February 2014, 08:23 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default Upcoming Non-UK Blu-ray Releases

Quote:
I know there are some right issues at the minute but the guys at Arrow are big Depalma fans and its one they are apparently still looking at. If the studio still remains bitchy about letting them have the rights then its the Aussie release for me as well but I'm holding off as long as possible as these things can change pretty quickly.

You said they were releasing it, now they're just still looking into it. Looks like you got peoples hopes up there I know they said they would keep trying, but I asked someone in the know (yesterday), and they said Arrow aren't releasing it. Suppose that could change in the future if Sony changes their mind.
Old 7th February 2014, 08:27 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one!
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th February 2014, 09:00 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
You said they were releasing it, now they're just still looking into it. Looks like you got peoples hopes up there I know they said they would keep trying, but I asked someone in the know (yesterday), and they said Arrow aren't releasing it. Suppose that could change in the future if Sony changes their mind.
Maybe Sony are being canny - waiting to see how fast the Twilight Time discs sell before they commit to licencing a title or keeping it for themselves. BODY DOUBLE sold out in less than a month in the US so I'm guessing Sony may release it themselves. All but one (THE DISAPPEARANCE) are region free too.

Personally speaking, I think Twilight Time should be applauded and supported. People bemoan their price point ($30 a disc) but they're marked as a only $5 and shipping is very reasonable - they work out at about £20 all-in if you buy two or three). I missed out on FRIGHT NIGHT but have all the other titles I've fancied and now prioritize TT releases over any others simply because a lot of them are selling out.
Old 7th February 2014, 12:28 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
Maybe Sony are being canny - waiting to see how fast the Twilight Time discs sell before they commit to licencing a title or keeping it for themselves. BODY DOUBLE sold out in less than a month in the US so I'm guessing Sony may release it themselves. All but one (THE DISAPPEARANCE) are region free too.

Personally speaking, I think Twilight Time should be applauded and supported. People bemoan their price point ($30 a disc) but they're marked as a only $5 and shipping is very reasonable - they work out at about £20 all-in if you buy two or three). I missed out on FRIGHT NIGHT but have all the other titles I've fancied and now prioritize TT releases over any others simply because a lot of them are selling out.
For older and more 'obscure' or niche titles I think its an ok business model. In that respect I have no problems with them as 90% of their releases are for hardcore cineasts. My main problem is bigger, in demand titles getting shunted onto the label alongside them. Fright Night, Christine ect would all have shifted way more titles than was printed and in both cases it almost feels like the studio are withholding the rights to other territories as well as the U.S.

I cannot think of any other reason why Arrow are having difficulties securing the rights to Body Double and Fright Night has appeared nowhere else globally aside from that this is the business model Sony wants for Blu-Ray going forward. That or Sony executives don't understand their own customer base.
Old 9th February 2014, 07:41 AM
Cult Addict

Tim Lucas / Video WatchBlog: BLOOD AND ROSES German Import: Some Frame Grabs

Tim Lucas looks at the German release of Blood and Roses.
Old 9th February 2014, 10:56 AM
Cultist in Training

Anyone seen the Aussie blu-rays of Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein?

Dracula's on its way to me now, but Frankenstein's still not in stock. Has it been postponed/cancelled?
Old 10th February 2014, 10:33 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Rocky remastered Japanese BD, with the original poster artwork. Nicer than the awful UK steelbook.

keirarts and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 12th February 2014, 06:03 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The special edition of Mallrats (and not the barebones theatrical only version released everywhere else) is being released in the US on April 15th. About time too!

Extended Edition Introduction by Director Kevin Smith.
Theatrical Commentary with Smith, Affleck, Lee, Mewes, Mosier and Vincent Pereira.
Cast Interviews from Original Set.
Erection of an Epic: The Making of Mallrats.
Q&A with Kevin Smith.
View Askew's Look Back at Mallrats.
Mallrats: The Reunion.
"Build Me Up Buttercup" Music Video by The Goops, Directed by Smith.
Archival Easter Eggs.
Theatrical Trailer.

Like this? Share it using the links below!