Old 2nd March 2014, 12:29 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
That's because it's not noticeable!

Not noticeable if you haven't seen the uncensored version, otherwise you definitely notice it.
Old 2nd March 2014, 12:31 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Isn't the TT one the same source as the UK re-issue?

Surely the UK one (newer release) would be the cheaper option then?

Or is it the 5.1 surround. Can't remember if the UK disc is missing that or not. I REALLY need to dig out all these old discs and sort through them at some point.

Ok, you asked for it! Don't like the thick UK cases, the Irish certificates all over it, or the artwork.
Old 2nd March 2014, 12:42 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Checked my Japanese BD of 'Wild at Heart', and it also has the smoke effect. It's so brief, you do wonder why they bothered!
TT don't do any 'work' on their releases, do they? You'd think that it would be the same quality worldwide. Japanese one is bare bones, though.
Old 2nd March 2014, 12:54 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
Checked my Japanese BD of 'Wild at Heart', and it also has the smoke effect. It's so brief, you do wonder why they bothered!

TT don't do any 'work' on their releases, do they? You'd think that it would be the same quality worldwide. Japanese one is bare bones, though.

Yeah, it seems that since the collector's edition dvds, the R-rated cut will be the only one released from now on.
Old 2nd March 2014, 01:19 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Ok, you asked for it! Don't like the thick UK cases, the Irish certificates all over it, or the artwork.
Fair enough. Not really my bag as I actually quite like the art on the uk releases. Think the older DVD art is the best. Not really something that would make me fork out TT's price for the disc though. Would rather spend the cash getting Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia. But different strokes for different folks and all that.
Old 2nd March 2014, 01:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah, it seems that since the collector's edition dvds, the R-rated cut will be the only one released from now on.
It's because that's the version that was remastered, with David Lynch's supervision and approval. A distributor has no reason to do a whole new remaster for the sake of a split-second smoke effect, it's actually quite disturbing that it bothers some people.
Old 2nd March 2014, 01:23 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Fair enough. Not really my bag as I actually quite like the art on the uk releases. Think the older DVD art is the best. Not really something that would make me fork out TT's price for the disc though. Would rather spend the cash getting Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia. But different strokes for different folks and all that.

Have no fear, I also pre-ordered Alfredo Garcia. I have no girlfriend, wife, family....or life!, so all my money is my own.
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd March 2014, 01:25 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's because that's the version that was remastered, with David Lynch's supervision and approval. A distributor has no reason to do a whole new remaster for the sake of a split-second smoke effect, it's actually quite disturbing that it bothers some people.

It bothers people in countries where they had the uncut version for years, then suddenly had the censored version forced apon them.
Old 2nd March 2014, 08:37 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
No, I can totally dig it that some people notice these things. Ok, at least when I get irritated watching Night of the demons anchor bay release it's because it looks zoomed in to fit widescreen (something the new scream factory release corrects) but people unfamiliar with the film would probably think i'm mental pointing out all the stuff the AB release cuts out. Thing is, soon as you notice these things it can start to bug some people. It doesn't bug me admittedly, but I can empathize.
Old 2nd March 2014, 10:21 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Lynch does love his 'smoke effects', so maybe it was a cunning plan to jam another one in...
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!