All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2014, 07:58 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
The Shameless release was DNR'd and had festy scanner noise, like an old Arrow release. Did not like the look of it at all

It was definitely the best the film ever used but it did look quite digital rather than having a filmic quality to the transfer. There was a fair bit of scanner noise at times.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 10th May 2014, 08:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Nah. I don't want or need the uncut version. A rare example where i'm completely pro censor. Those scenes should never have been filmed. A soundtrack CD might sway me IF it's cheap enough.
I still just don't get this. Not having a go Hawk as there are far more people like you than there are like me, (I'm sure!) but all the hoo haa about CH nips my arse!
Yes, the poor muskrat dies. So does the turtle, pig and monkey. But people act like CH is the epitome of animal violence on screen. There are many films with animal violence in that no one turns a hair over. We don't get revised versions of Apocalypse Now minus the water buffalo decapitation, Weekend without the pig scene, Pink Flamingos without the chicken raped to death, the 4 octopi eaten alive for Oldboy, the 20 odd cats killed in the making of Milo and Otis and many, many others.
There seems to be a hypocrisy over CH that is not justified in context with some other films. There appears to be "snobbery" in that CH is a "horror" film and therefore has no artistic merit unlike a "respected" director like Coppola.
I've heard people come out with, "There is a difference between a quick clean slaughter and a protracted death, that's why the turtle scene is alright and the muskrat isn't." Really? End result is they both died for the camera, who decides exactly how many seconds of an animals death is okay for viewer consumption? 2 seconds okay, 3, unacceptable?
"Oh, but Deodato himself prefers the cut version!" No. Stop right there. The directors cut was the first version of the film put out, after 35 years of (Mainly British people, this fine animal loving nation that watches thousands of people die on the news every week and doesn't turn a hair but erupt into foaming, rabid, wanna-be killers if a woman puts a cat in a bin for half an hour!) moaning at him and bitching, he did it to have a bloody rest from it.
Has anyone ever been, or seen footage from, a slaughter house in the UK? Far, far worse than anything in CH and we won't even go into the halal and kosher aspects.
Bottom line is CH was made to shock. It does that admirably and is testament to that in still being controversial 35 years after it was made. In that respect it is a masterful tour-de-force of cinema and should only be seen in it's full uncut version.
Right, now I'm off to Diabolik to order it!
Rik, zane and Dave Boy like this.
Old 10th May 2014, 08:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Any chance this would have problems getting past our old friends at the customs these days?
Old 10th May 2014, 09:08 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah,I know.I meant that I keep the 'clothed' side round on that release.
Tits on the cover doesn't 'suit' a film with Cushing.
However,they're right at home with CH.

Ah right. I just misunderstood what you said. My mistake.
Old 10th May 2014, 09:47 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Hopefully this one will be intact because i'm sure that the previous grindhouse DVD was missing some of the 'road to hell' footage.
From Grindhouse Releasing regarding the Road to Hell footage:

Quote:
Last Road is still that same slightly shorter alternate version with the different credits. As before, we've included the original version as a bonus, but it no longer exists in the negative.
Old 10th May 2014, 10:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
I still just don't get this. Not having a go Hawk as there are far more people like you than there are like me, (I'm sure!) but all the hoo haa about CH nips my arse!

Yes, the poor muskrat dies. So does the turtle, pig and monkey. But people act like CH is the epitome of animal violence on screen. There are many films with animal violence in that no one turns a hair over. We don't get revised versions of Apocalypse Now minus the water buffalo decapitation, Weekend without the pig scene, Pink Flamingos without the chicken raped to death, the 4 octopi eaten alive for Oldboy, the 20 odd cats killed in the making of Milo and Otis and many, many others.

There seems to be a hypocrisy over CH that is not justified in context with some other films. There appears to be "snobbery" in that CH is a "horror" film and therefore has no artistic merit unlike a "respected" director like Coppola.

I've heard people come out with, "There is a difference between a quick clean slaughter and a protracted death, that's why the turtle scene is alright and the muskrat isn't." Really? End result is they both died for the camera, who decides exactly how many seconds of an animals death is okay for viewer consumption? 2 seconds okay, 3, unacceptable?

"Oh, but Deodato himself prefers the cut version!" No. Stop right there. The directors cut was the first version of the film put out, after 35 years of (Mainly British people, this fine animal loving nation that watches thousands of people die on the news every week and doesn't turn a hair but erupt into foaming, rabid, wanna-be killers if a woman puts a cat in a bin for half an hour!) moaning at him and bitching, he did it to have a bloody rest from it.

Has anyone ever been, or seen footage from, a slaughter house in the UK? Far, far worse than anything in CH and we won't even go into the halal and kosher aspects.

Bottom line is CH was made to shock. It does that admirably and is testament to that in still being controversial 35 years after it was made. In that respect it is a masterful tour-de-force of cinema and should only be seen in it's full uncut version.

Right, now I'm off to Diabolik to order it!

Completely agree with every word of this
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 10th May 2014, 10:22 AM
Cult Addict

So how many cuts of Cannibal Holocaust exist?
Old 10th May 2014, 10:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

There are the two Shameless cut versions, one animal free, one with small cut.
The Grindhouse cut omits a bit of the road to hell.
Awe and Thai DVDs are fully uncut plus a few others.
That's how I have it but am happy to be corrected by someone who knows a bit more.
Old 10th May 2014, 10:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've got a Spanish version on the Mangafilms label, which I believe is fully uncut too
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 10th May 2014, 10:57 AM
Cult Addict

I've got this one which I thought was completely uncut
uploadfromtaptalk1399719497485.jpg
Think it's an Australian release.
Is the animal cruelty free cut the same as Deodato's reconstructed version on the Shameless blu?

Like this? Share it using the links below!