LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2014, 10:28 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I'm very sceptical in regards to screen cap comparisons as they aren't always representative of what the film looks in motion. If I don't own the disc myself or have viewed it on my personal equipment with my own eyes then I can't really comment on a transfer - I'd feel ill informed doing so.
I'm of the same opinion, which is why I didn't join in with the criticism of the first Arrow Tenebrae BD – it looked fine on my setup. However, the re-release one looks better.
Old 31st May 2014, 10:33 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm of the same opinion, which is why I didn't join in with the criticism of the first Arrow Tenebrae BD – it looked fine on my setup. However, the re-release one looks better.
There was an apparent and quite intrusive 'snow-storm' effect on Tenebrae for me, although I did have a smaller TV then (32") when I watched it, which is probably why I noticed it more (?). However, it only seemed to be apparent for the first 20 mins or so, and the rest of the film really looked good to me - either that or my eyes had adjusted to it!
Old 31st May 2014, 10:39 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
There was an apparent and quite intrusive 'snow-storm' effect on Tenebrae for me, although I did have a smaller TV then (32") when I watched it, which is probably why I noticed it more (?). However, it only seemed to be apparent for the first 20 mins or so, and the rest of the film really looked good to me - either that or my eyes had adjusted to it!
I know a lot of people had an issue with the 'digital noise', but it's not something that I noticed whenever I watched the film on that disc.
Old 31st May 2014, 11:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I know a lot of people had an issue with the 'digital noise', but it's not something that I noticed whenever I watched the film on that disc.

Me neither, admittedly the steelbook version does look better, but it's not so bad that I'd never watch the slipcase version again, unlike the Shameless DVD of Dellamorte Dellamore, which will never go in my player again
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 31st May 2014, 11:21 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I'm very sceptical in regards to screen cap comparisons as they aren't always representative of what the film looks in motion. If I don't own the disc myself or have viewed it on my personal equipment with my own eyes then I can't really comment on a transfer - I'd feel ill informed doing so.

Everyone has their own standards of what is 'acceptable' quality, but I do get the impression that a lot of Blu-ray fans are overly critical of presentations. I think it comes with a lot of these companies now putting themselves out there for all the world to see (and criticise), combined with higher expectations of the technology we have now in respect to picture quality. It's easy to forget that without these smaller niche labels releasing films like these, we probably wouldn't have them available at all - that's not to say we have to accept a shoddy transfer and like it, but sometimes the budgets and source materials just aren't there for these companies to go the extra mile in producing what some fans consider a fantastic master.

Having said all this, I don't own any the above SF titles so can't comment! However, the ones I do have look good to me. I do generally prefer waiting on SF titles though to see if Arrow or certain other UK labels get them instead as I just prefer the overall package to SF's and generally speaking know that Arrow will usually do a better job.
I can comment on the They Live disc, and whilst the EE is noticeable, and the DNR is there, it is still, an absolutely amazing disc in my opinion, and destroys the DVDs.

Sure the transfer isn't perfect, but it's very very watchable, and far from a travesty. I watched the 2K on a cinema screen and even then only the EE was obviously noticeable.

As for the others, from screen caps, Phantasm seems alright on its own, but dissapointing compared to the UK disc. Cat People, Nosferatu and the Bruce Lee titles were absolute travesties.

As for Ravenous, well that's currently a hotly debated issue. Blows the DVD out of the water, but looks well, strange, like an extremely old HD scan, which I think is exactly what it is.

For the most part, I admire Scream's efforts and release, the transfers are all mostly good, but poor compression and a couple of bad studio transfers let them down

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 31st May 2014, 11:24 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Me neither, admittedly the steelbook version does look better, but it's not so bad that I'd never watch the slipcase version again, unlike the Shameless DVD of Dellamorte Dellamore, which will never go in my player again
I really need to buy a different release of Dellamorte Dellamore as the Shameless one is (to put it mildly) far from ideal.
Old 31st May 2014, 04:11 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I really need to buy a different release of Dellamorte Dellamore as the Shameless one is (to put it mildly) far from ideal.
The euro ones are apparantly the way to go. Mysteriously the Italians put out the HD versions just before they 'lost' the HD master and stuck shameless with the transfer they have now. Personally though i'm happy with the anchor bay US DVD which looks great. I also have the shameless DVD and i'm not as down on it as some I might add.
Old 31st May 2014, 07:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Talking about shout factory what's happening with nightbreed , I thought it was quarter two of this year it was getting released not heard anything for months on this one
Old 31st May 2014, 07:57 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Talking about shout factory what's happening with nightbreed , I thought it was quarter two of this year it was getting released not heard anything for months on this one

Cliff & Jeff mentioned in their interview yesterday that Barker was working with them on Nightbreed & Lord Of Illusions, and had signed off on the new artwork for both. They said they'll have an announcement regarding Nightbreed soon, probably June/July.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 31st May 2014, 08:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Cliff & Jeff mentioned in their interview yesterday that Barker was working with them on Nightbreed & Lord Of Illusions, and had signed off on the new artwork for both. They said they'll have an announcement regarding Nightbreed soon, probably June/July.
With any luck we will see blu ray version of lord of illusions the directors cut then.

Like this? Share it using the links below!