Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2014, 10:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I don't, personally. I think, at least with all of the German and Austrian mediabooks or special editions that I've bought, they've always made it clear that the specific edition was limited to x amount of units, rather than the actual title, which is different to how Twilight Time have promoted their releases.

If I had bought into the whole Twilight Time model, I'd be hugely disappointed they're reprinting these titles, especially at the premium price paid, and given the pressured circumstances of their limited releases. Limited to 3,000 until they license it again, repress it, and put out another mass of units. It's pretty low, as far as I'm concerned, and it's nothing personal with Twilight Time, I'd feel the same if Arrow reprinted Hellgate, or Hell Comes To Frog Town. I potentially wouldn't have bought one of those without that caveat that they will only press 1,000 copies.

I'm not even taking as much pleasure as I expected from seeing all those who were bragging about getting a copy, and how they'll never be available again, and how much their copies are worth, now crying about this on various forums and social media. It's great for those who missed out, but it's another controversial decision from a company with an overwhelmingly negative reputation.

That's just my personal opinion though. There are lots of people out there who hate the endless cycle of re-releases in various differing packaging. I personally don't have an issue with it, because the companies doing it are always very transparent about it.

For what it's worth, here's some further information on those Twilight Time reprints, for anyone interested, and because it's actually back on topic:

Quote:
Here's a tease -- the first four of these will be out in 2015 -- most likely one each in Jan, March, August, and October -- however, we will leave you to speculate on which might be coming when.

Happy guessing!
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th June 2014, 10:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
I don't, personally. I think, at least with all of the German and Austrian mediabooks or special editions that I've bought, they've always made it clear that the specific edition was limited to x amount of units, rather than the actual title, which is different to how Twilight Time have promoted their releases.

If I had bought into the whole Twilight Time model, I'd be hugely disappointed they're reprinting these titles, especially at the premium price paid, and given the pressured circumstances of their limited releases. Limited to 3,000 until they license it again, repress it, and put out another mass of units. It's pretty low, as far as I'm concerned, and it's nothing personal with Twilight Time, I'd feel the same if Arrow reprinted Hellgate, or Hell Comes To Frog Town. I potentially wouldn't have bought one of those without that caveat that they will only press 1,000 copies.

I'm not even taking as much pleasure as I expected from seeing all those who were bragging about getting a copy, and how they'll never be available again, and how much their copies are worth, now crying about this on various forums and social media. It's great for those who missed out, but it's another controversial decision from a company with an overwhelmingly negative reputation.

That's just my personal opinion though. There are lots of people out there who hate the endless cycle of re-releases in various differing packaging. I personally don't have an issue with it, because the companies doing it are always very transparent about it.

For what it's worth, here's some further information on those Twilight Time reprints, for anyone interested, and because it's actually back on topic:
I'm more concerned about these variant cover releases being sold as 'investments'.

The same thing happened in the 90's with comics. A huge speculator bubble blew up and burst. I don't want to see the same thing happening with DVD's and Blu's.

The whole TT thing has a simple solution. Stick SECOND PRINTING on the case so the people who bought the first can feel they have something valuable.

Personally though I would avoid looking for stuff based on it being worth money in a few years time and collect stuff because you like the film.
Daemonia and BAKA like this.
Old 29th June 2014, 10:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Personally though I would avoid looking for stuff based on it being worth money in a few years time and collect stuff because you like the film.
This I very much agree with. I think we're fortunate as a community here to have people who feel the same way, and buy because of their passion for the films and their treatment, rather than with an aim to make a profit. Not that I necessarily have anything against that, people are free to do what they like.
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th June 2014, 11:12 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I'm more concerned about these variant cover releases being sold as 'investments'.

The same thing happened in the 90's with comics. A huge speculator bubble blew up and burst. I don't want to see the same thing happening with DVD's and Blu's.

The whole TT thing has a simple solution. Stick SECOND PRINTING on the case so the people who bought the first can feel they have something valuable.

Question is, who said they're being sold as investments? The sellers have never said this. If anyone has ever thought this, it's the people buying them who see the limited edition status and decide to buy them just to make a profit.
Old 30th June 2014, 05:43 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Question is, who said they're being sold as investments? The sellers have never said this. If anyone has ever thought this, it's the people buying them who see the limited edition status and decide to buy them just to make a profit.
An ad for one of the previous releases that was posted somewhere on these forums actually suggested as much. That one only had two sleeves was 35 euros a pop and suggested that while expensive people should consider buying both as an investment. That was what started me worrying as I still remember when they started releasing comics with variant covers, ltd editions with steel variant covers ect, ect.

I actually stopped collecting comics at the point I was in the old forbidden planet in London as a teenager and nearly got caught up in a fist fight between two grown men over the ltd print run variant covers of a comic that turned out to be rather poor.
Old 30th June 2014, 06:03 AM
Cult Addict

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 30th June 2014, 06:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I don't have a problem per se with TT's business model. They're a small outfit with limited resources and they need to guarantee sales in order to survive. Making something limited will create an instant demand and this suits their policy. What I have a problem with is the major studios licensing films to them that would no doubt sell well on general release - like Night of the Living Dead, Christine and Fright Night. Even more galling is the fact that Sony, the father of Blu-ray, is abandoning the very format they championed so fervently back when they were battling it out with HD DVD. Having won that war, they simply walked away from the format. That's what pisses me off.
Old 30th June 2014, 07:02 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I don't have a problem per se with TT's business model. They're a small outfit with limited resources and they need to guarantee sales in order to survive. Making something limited will create an instant demand and this suits their policy. What I have a problem with is the major studios licensing films to them that would no doubt sell well on general release - like Night of the Living Dead, Christine and Fright Night. Even more galling is the fact that Sony, the father of Blu-ray, is abandoning the very format they championed so fervently back when they were battling it out with HD DVD. Having won that war, they simply walked away from the format. That's what pisses me off.

People, get ready to be annoyed (or happy). I asked TT about the re-releases, saying they might as well do away with the limited edition thing if they're just going to re-licence titles that go out of print. They replied that it'll be a select few (I'm guessing things like Fright Night), but that it won't be straight re-releases. They'll be improving upon the originals, i.e. more special fearures.
Old 30th June 2014, 07:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
People, get ready to be annoyed (or happy). I asked TT about the re-releases, saying they might as well do away with the limited edition thing if they're just going to re-licence titles that go out of print. They replied that it'll be a select few (I'm guessing things like Fright Night), but that it won't be straight re-releases. They'll be improving upon the originals, i.e. more special fearures.
I don't know why Twilight Time don't do an initial run of 1000 individually numbered BDs and then a second run without the number, making the first lot more collectable and desirable, but ensuring there are enough to satisfy demand.
keirarts likes this.
Old 30th June 2014, 11:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
If they use the bonus materials for fright night I will most likely buy it. That is if I can get there before the scalpers buy them all.

Like this? Share it using the links below!