Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st August 2014, 11:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Here's a pic of Milian in Tony Scott's Revenge - probably my favourite of his latter day films and certainly one of his last memorable roles.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406934817.940678.jpg
Old 1st August 2014, 11:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Exactly. When shiny discs are gone all their possible inheritance is also gone.

There will come a time sooner rather than later when companies won't be interested in restoring films for sale as it won't be worthwhile.
Has anyone else seen whats happening to THE ALAMO. The old John Wayne classic?

The Reconstruction and Restoration of John Wayne's "The Alamo"

The film is literally disintergrating. 10 years ago a full restoration would have been easy to arrange. Now that streaming has all but eviscerated home video there is little to no cash to be made in restoring old films. The alamo is lucky that it may be able to raise the cash eventually but it's almost inevitable that smaller releases will probably dissapear. The certainty of revenue from a home video release has dissapeared and there is little incentive to restore and archive films when there is no financial incentive. It seems to be one of the unitended consequences of streaming.
Old 1st August 2014, 11:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Has anyone else seen whats happening to THE ALAMO. The old John Wayne classic?

The Reconstruction and Restoration of John Wayne's "The Alamo"

The film is literally disintergrating. 10 years ago a full restoration would have been easy to arrange. Now that streaming has all but eviscerated home video there is little to no cash to be made in restoring old films. The alamo is lucky that it may be able to raise the cash eventually but it's almost inevitable that smaller releases will probably dissapear. The certainty of revenue from a home video release has dissapeared and there is little incentive to restore and archive films when there is no financial incentive. It seems to be one of the unitended consequences of streaming.
Makes you never want to get rid of a disc again doesn't it?

I'll lend them my dvd of The Alamo, they can use that if they want. If there are any parts they can't restore i'll lend them the remake as well so they can integrate scenes from that. No one will be able to tell John Wayne and Billy Bob Thornton apart.

You do realize that articles from 2009 or earlier. They want to premier it in March 2010.
Old 1st August 2014, 11:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
Here's a pic of Milian in Tony Scott's Revenge - probably my favourite of his latter day films and certainly one of his last memorable roles.Attachment 141479
Speaking of old faves.

I watched the enjoyable rom com Letters to Juliet again earlier. Nice to see Fabio Testi pop up in that, as well as Franco Nero of course.
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 1st August 2014, 11:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default Upcoming Non-UK Blu-ray Releases

Bizarre seeing them in a film these days. Pretty whimsical film but I actually enjoyed it. Great location photography and having Vanessa Redgrave in it helped too.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 1st August 2014, 11:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
Bizarre seeing them in a film these days. Pretty whimsical film but I actually enjoyed it. Great location photography and having Vanessa Redgrave in it helped too.
It's one of a rare breed of romantic comedy that treats it's audience as adults, and doesn't go in for schoolboy humour. A very good cast, and as you say beautiful photography, make it a film that's hard not to like.
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 2nd August 2014, 05:26 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Makes you never want to get rid of a disc again doesn't it?

I'll lend them my dvd of The Alamo, they can use that if they want. If there are any parts they can't restore i'll lend them the remake as well so they can integrate scenes from that. No one will be able to tell John Wayne and Billy Bob Thornton apart.

You do realize that articles from 2009 or earlier. They want to premier it in March 2010.
The point I was actually trying to make is that if a major studio release has to go through that to get released then smaller niche titles with less demand, Ie Paul Naschy films, Some of the more obscure Giallo titles will find the ability to get restored and properly archived far more difficult if not impossible.The financial incentive to do is dwindling. Some of these titles have not had a DVD release and even if they had most film archivists would always argue to try and preserve the origional film elements wherever possible.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd August 2014, 05:41 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Another upcoming CR release:

Old 3rd August 2014, 05:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

This guy is apparently finishing up the new 2K master of Cannibal Ferox for Grindhouse, happy days

keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd August 2014, 06:48 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Another upcoming CR release:

I can't imagine it is going to top my 23rd Century release.

Like this? Share it using the links below!