Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree6109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2015, 10:48 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Severin hinted they would be releasing Burial Ground on blu-ray. Now this is really wonderful news. God knows when the 88 Films blu will be released and how it will look.
Rik and keirarts like this.
Old 28th July 2015, 05:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropophagus View Post
Severin hinted they would be releasing Burial Ground on blu-ray. Now this is really wonderful news. God knows when the 88 Films blu will be released and how it will look.
Question is where will they get the source materials. Apparently the negatives are in a terrible state and each step away from those loses something in the transfer. If they get access to the materials they could do their own scan and avoid some of that nasty scanner noise but I'm not going to be expecting miracles. I've seen Arrows Nightmare city and while its way better than raro's there are still issues that cannot be fixed regardless of which label gets the rights. Burial ground may be a similar issue.
Boo Radley likes this.
Old 28th July 2015, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Question is where will they get the source materials. Apparently the negatives are in a terrible state and each step away from those loses something in the transfer. If they get access to the materials they could do their own scan and avoid some of that nasty scanner noise but I'm not going to be expecting miracles. I've seen Arrows Nightmare city and while its way better than raro's there are still issues that cannot be fixed regardless of which label gets the rights. Burial ground may be a similar issue.
I knew a US blu was in the works but couldn't talk about it. Here's some of my chat to someone who's in the blu-ray business, can't name him, sorry.

Could you please tell me me more about Nightmare City blu-ray?
Old 28th July 2015, 10:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I knew a US blu was in the works but couldn't talk about it. Here's some of my chat to someone who's in the blu-ray business, can't name him, sorry.

Essentially the negatives have decayed, this leaves a yellow marking across the image similar to what was seen in Zombie Flesh-eaters. when the damage is not present then the image looks excellent, however there is noticeable and non-repairable damage. As a result Arrow have also done a master from one source removed that has non of this damage, however the image looks softer and less detailed as a result of it being one step removed.

Michael Brooke has a video produced that explains it better than I can and actually has some footage edited in. A few people on Facebook got a sneak peek and I'm happy with the results as it still looks good. Its highly unlikely that a better result can be found.

As for Burial ground I'm surprised that a better source was found as 88's source materials was supposed to be the best available after some extensive searching. I wonder where they unearthed them? Certainly it must be galling for something like this to happen.
Old 28th July 2015, 11:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:

God, if 88 Films take forever to put out a restored transfer from subpar elements and then Severin go and put out a cheaper one from better elements, I'll be frustrated. We all want the best quality, but let it just be said I will never back any 88 Films campaigns if they have anymore.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 29th July 2015, 06:23 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
God, if 88 Films take forever to put out a restored transfer from subpar elements and then Severin go and put out a cheaper one from better elements, I'll be frustrated. We all want the best quality, but let it just be said I will never back any 88 Films campaigns if they have anymore.
The thing is, according to 88 one of the reason for the delays was the difficulty in finding suitable materials, so unless they are telling fibs, the fact that another company has access to better materials may come as something of a surprise to them.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 29th July 2015, 06:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The thing is, according to 88 one of the reason for the delays was the difficulty in finding suitable materials, so unless they are telling fibs, the fact that another company has access to better materials may come as something of a surprise to them.
That's a good point, I remember BU touted their Zombie blu ray as being from the negative or best materials, then when making their blu ray Arrow told everyone the negative holders said no one had accessed them or used/scanned them for decades. Maybe it's a situation like this, different materials with different rights holders.
keirarts likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 29th July 2015, 07:11 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Coming from Olive in September:

One of my Blaxploitation faves!
bdc, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 29th July 2015, 07:28 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Upcoming titles from Slasher Video:

Quote:
Independent U.S. distributors Slasher // Video and Olive Films will bring a number of new genre titles to Blu-ray in September. Amongst them are: Mark Freed's Shock 'Em Dead, David A. Prior's Killer Workout, and Paul Ragsdale's Cinco de Mayo.

Please note that all upcoming Slasher // Video releases will be distributed by Olive Films.

Killer Workout

Killer Workout features a group of actors (Ted Prior, Fritz Matthews and David James Campbell) who would appear together on screen in several David A. Prior films including Deadly Prey, The Deadliest Prey and Relentless Justice.

Going to the gym may be hazardous to your health. In fact, it could kill you.

Valerie, a model with a promising career, Valerie heads out to the local fitness club to use their sun-tanning bed. She needs to look her best for her Cosmopolitan magazine cover shoot. Alas, Valerie's visit will end in tragedy when the machine malfunctions, burning her to death. Despite Valerie's death being a public relations nightmare, things are back up and running at the club with the iron-fisted Rhonda (Marci Karr, Maniac Cop) in charge. But tragedy is lurking just around the corner when another club member is soon found stabbed to death. Enter Lieutenant Morgan (David James Campbell, Scarecrows), the cop on the case. Tasked with solving the crimes, he's in for more than he expected as the body count rises. Who's behind the grizzly slayings? What's their motive? And, who will be the next victim?

Slasher // Video presents Killer Workout, directed by David A. Prior (Deadly Prey, The Deadliest Prey) and starring Ted Prior (Deadly Prey), Marcia Karr (Maniac Cop), David James Campbell (Scarecrows) and Fritz Matthews (The Deadliest Prey).

STREET DATE: SEPTEMBER 29.

Shock 'Em Dead

Traci Lords is reunited with Cry-Baby co-star Troy Donahue in the horror-thriller … with music … Shock 'Em Dead featuring amazing guitar solos courtesy of Michael Angelo Batio.

Manager-on-the-rise Lindsay Roberts (Traci Lords, Cry-Baby) has a rock band in the spotlight with guitar god Angel Martin (Stephen Quadros, The Lost Platoon) as its newest member. Lindsay and the band are on the road to success. But all is not as it seems. Angel, as it turns out, has made a pact with the dark forces to make him a rock star having quite literally sold his soul for his talent. But there's a catch, fame and fortune come at a price. In order to sustain his talent Angel must feed on the souls of others.

Lindsay's growing attraction to Angel soon turns to fear as she finds herself pulled further and further into a terrifying world of unspeakable evil.

Slasher // Video presents Shock 'Em Dead, a film about rock & roll and soul(s) directed by Mark Freed (Lovers and Liars) and starring Traci Lords (Cry-Baby), Troy Donahue (Imitation of Life), Aldo Ray (We're No Angels) and Stephen Quadros (The Lost Platoon).

Cinco De Mayo

Never give a recently fired professor a knife and a Day of the Dead mask. You're just asking for trouble. But, let's back up …

Humberto Valdez AKA "El Maestro" (Anthony Iava To'omata) is teaching at a small town junior college and he takes his Chicano studies course seriously … perhaps a bit too seriously. With the exception of a lone student, El Maestro is considered by the pupils and faculty alike to be a joke and out of touch with the real world. "El Maestro" comes down with a bad case of "Aztec Blood Lust" after being fired. It's a malady that has tragic side effects … for others. Possessed by a spirit to wreak havoc upon those who have taunted him, "El Maestro" becomes a one-man killing machine. Has an evil spirit truly possessed "El Maestro?" Or, has the pressure of entertaining on the holiday caused him to snap? Can he be stopped? To find out you'll have to watch Cinco de Mayo … if you dare.

Slasher // Video presents Cinco de Mayo, directed by Paul Ragsdale and starring Lindsay Amaral (Johan Jello: Attack of the Killer UFOs), Juan Botello (George Bidell, CPA), Kyle Duval (Alleycat) and Anthony Iava To'omata as "El Maestro."

Trashology

From the imagination of director Brian Dorton (Theatre of the Deranged) comes a thriller tinged with comedy. Part Pink Flamingos, part Tales From The Crypt, Trashology is a genre unto itself.

A college writing assignment leads Tracy (Laura Lee Black, Preexisting Conditions) to explore her passion for film, especially the "trash" genre made infamous by John Waters. Her research leads her to the book Trashology, firing her imagination and guiding the viewer through a trilogy of horror, revenge and vigilante justice tales (The Vat, Big Debbie and Inglorious *****es) paying homage to the man that started it all.

Slasher // Video presents Trashology, written and directed by Brian Dorton (Theatre of the Deranged) and starring Laura Lee Black (Preexisting Conditions), Jenny Coulter (Preexisting Conditions), Rodney Horn (Tales of Poe) and Douglas Conner (Theatre of the Deranged).

Deadly Prey

Human hunting for sport is the twisted premise of Deadly Prey, written and directed by David A. Prior (The Deadliest Prey, Relentless Justice) and starring Ted Prior (Killer Workout, The Deadliest Prey).

The sadistic and psychopathic Colonel Hogan (David Campbell, The Deadliest Prey, Relentless Justice) is a mercenary for hire who finds a benefactor in Don Michaelson (Troy Donahue, Shock 'Em Dead, Cry-Baby), a ruthless businessman in need of skilled killers for a special assignment. It's a win-win for both sides. Michaelson will finance Hogan's training camp and Hogan will use his trained mercenaries to help out Michaelson. Hogan has the manpower. What he doesn't have is the prey to hunt in preparation for the big day. His solution: troll the streets of Los Angeles and randomly abduct people. What Hogan didn't count on was that one of those people would be Mike Danton (Ted Prior, The Deadliest Prey, Relentless Justice). Danton, a Marine with killer skills, doesn't take too kindly to being kidnapped. Hogan, Michaelson and the mercenaries are in for a world of pain in the action-packed thrill ride Deadly Prey. Deadly Prey co-stars Cameron Mitchell (Hombre, Klansman), Dawn Abraham (Mike's Murder) and Suzzane Tara (TV's General Hospital).

The Deadliest Prey

The Deadliest Prey, a sequel 27 years in the making, reunites Deadly Prey co-stars Ted Prior, David Campbell, Fritz Matthews and director David A. Prior.

Sadist, psychopath, and a damn fine solider, Colonel Hogan (David Campbell, Deadly Prey, Relentless Justice) and his merry band of mercenaries are back for more in the sequel to writer/director David A. Prior's Deadly Prey. Will Mike Danton (Ted Prior, Deadly Prey, Relentless Justice) ever learn to let someone else take out the garbage? Kidnapped from in front of his home while emptying the trash, Danton finds himself back in familiar territory as prey in Hogan's twisted game of cat & mouse.

It's obvious that Hogan is also a slow learner. When will he understand not to mess with Danton, a U.S. Marine who learned to be "all that he could be" in 'Nam? The action and kills are amped up in The Deadliest Prey co-starring Fritz Matthews (Deadly Prey, Born Killer) and Cat Tomeny (Flesh Wounds, Enemies Among Us).

Old 29th July 2015, 07:41 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Coming from Scorpion (via Kino):

keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!