Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree6109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th February 2013, 11:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
God help you if you had been collecting dvds in the old days Joking. In all seriousness though, I see no difference in spending £30 on a BD (or dvd hardbox) than people spending the same or even more, on clothes. In fact, the discs are better value. Be here long after that pair of jeans or trainers are consigned to the trash.
My Alexander McQueen t shirt was bought for £60 and now sells for £150. Rare desgner clothes can also be good to collect.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 16th February 2013, 11:49 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
My Alexander McQueen t shirt was bought for £60 and now sells for £150. Rare desgner clothes can also be good to collect.
A t-shirt! not even a shirt, but just a t-shirt!!!!!! not a dig at anyone here, but I find it strange that's it's normal to spend a lot of money on clothes, but your sad for spending it on a dvd or BD, and (not wanting to get into a debate with anyone), but it's acceptable to follow sport (one that won't be named!), while people get labelled sad and pathetic for liking something like Star Trek. (p.s. I think it's the other way around lol).
Old 16th February 2013, 11:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
A t-shirt! not even a shirt, but just a t-shirt!!!!!! not a dig at anyone here, but I find it strange that's it's normal to spend a lot of money on clothes, but your sad for spending it on a dvd or BD, and (not wanting to get into a debate with anyone), but it's acceptable to follow sport (one that won't be named!), while people get labelled sad and pathetic for liking something like Star Trek. (p.s. I think it's the other way around lol).
ha ha
I dont think its "sad" for paying huge amounts for a movie but its not something I can do often. I also dont mind paying huge amounts for collectable movie figures. Whatever your into as long as your happy is all that matters!

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 16th February 2013, 11:58 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
ha ha
I dont think its "sad" for paying huge amounts for a movie but its not something I can do often. I also dont mind paying huge amounts for collectable movie figures. Whatever your into as long as your happy is all that matters!
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 16th February 2013, 12:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
So it's wrong to call people who like Star Trek 'sad and pathetic' but it's ok to call people who like sport that? Ok.

There are a lot of misconceptions (mainly thanks to the media) about Star Trek and Sport's fans and people are happy to go along with them. If they bothered to actually do a bit a of research they'd find that they're wrong. I don't like Star Trek but I don't have problem with those that do.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 16th February 2013, 12:53 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

So, all sold out, eh? And, of course, there's no market for these films. So they say.

Christine isn't really a favourite of mine but I would've picked it up if it had gone on general sale.

Whilst I don't blame TT for exploiting this limited sales model, what I don't like is all the gloating that goes on. The whole 'I've got one and you haven't, I'm a bigger horror fan than you!' kind of thing. It divides what should be a united community - a bit like real life, I suppose: the 'haves' and 'have nots'. Or is that getting too deep into the argument...

Whatever, if you really, passionately love the film, then I don't blame you for grabbing a copy, I don't suppose. But, please, enough with the gloating over those less financially solvent who might not be able to afford to splash out 30-odd bucks for a Blu-ray in one go.

Last edited by Daemonia; 16th February 2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 16th February 2013, 01:24 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
ha ha
It all depends on who's commenting and on what they spend their disposable income. Some women have scores of shoes or handbags, some of which they have never worn or used, some people spend massive amounts of money on Star Wars figures if they are still sealed in their original packaging and others blow all their disposable income on cigarettes, alcohol and at the bookies.

It's one of those 'eye of the beholder' situations where there is no wrong answer as it's all about your priorities and what you want to do with your money.

As nekromantik says, as long as you're happy with your life choices, nothing else is really important.
Old 16th February 2013, 01:28 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
So it's wrong to call people who like Star Trek 'sad and pathetic' but it's ok to call people who like sport that? Ok.

There are a lot of misconceptions (mainly thanks to the media) about Star Trek and Sport's fans and people are happy to go along with them. If they bothered to actually do a bit a of research they'd find that they're wrong. I don't like Star Trek but I don't have problem with those that do.
Don't get your panties in a bunch Pete
Old 16th February 2013, 01:30 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
So, all sold out, eh? And, of course, there's no market for these films. So they say.

Christine isn't really a favourite of mine but I would've picked it up if it had gone on general sale.

Whilst I don't blame TT for exploiting this limited sales model, what I don't like is all the gloating that goes on. The whole 'I've got one and you haven't, I'm a bigger horror fan than you!' kind of thing. It divides what should be a united community - a bit like real life, I suppose: the 'haves' and 'have nots'. Or is that getting too deep into the argument...

Whatever, if you really, passionately love the film, then I don't blame you for grabbing a copy, I don't suppose. But, please, enough with the gloating over those less financially solvent who might not be able to afford to splash out 30-odd bucks for a Blu-ray in one go.
There's a market for them BECAUSE they're limited, pure and simple. And I'm not really gloating, just having a laugh, but I refuse to apologize for having a job that allows me to buy stuff others can't.
Old 16th February 2013, 01:44 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
There's a market for them BECAUSE they're limited, pure and simple. And I'm not really gloating, just having a laugh, but I refuse to apologize for having a job that allows me to buy stuff others can't.
I wasn't aiming the gloating comment at you Stephen (I know you well enough to know that your tongue is firmly-in-cheek ) - it was more aimed at the gloat-fest I'm reading over at Blu-ray.com. A lot of people in the US missed the opportunity because it fell within work hours and people couldn't get online to order one, and yet you have the other posters gloating over them because they got a copy. That's what I'm talking about - not anyone here, I assure you. I should've made myself more clear.

And yes, I do subscribe to the notion that you should do whatever makes you happy. I'm not bothered about Christine as it's not a favourite of mine. If it ever surfaces elsewhere on Blu, I may pick it up. But, for now, being a low priority title to upgrade, the DVD will suffice.

Now, if it had been a bells-and-whistles edition of, say, Cannibal Apocalypse, I'd have been chomping at the bit to get my pre-order in.

Like this? Share it using the links below!