Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree6109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2015, 09:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
A biased feature length cinematic documentary sensationalising a culture at a point in time...same could be said of Africa Addio.
True but you weren't asking about Africa Addio. Its a Nazi propaganda film which ever way you look at it.

Old 9th October 2015, 02:10 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
True but you weren't asking about Africa Addio. Its a Nazi propaganda film which ever way you look at it.
Africa Addio is as morally repugnant as Triumph of the Will, but Leni Riefenstahl's documentary is an astonishing piece of filmmaking, and as terrifying as it is brilliant.
Old 9th October 2015, 03:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Africa Addio is as morally repugnant as Triumph of the Will, but Leni Riefenstahl's documentary is an astonishing piece of filmmaking, and as terrifying as it is brilliant.
My problem with someone saying that Triumph is a Mondo is that it trivializes the subject matter. Mondo movies on the whole are exploitation movies and made to titillate its audience,and also there not renowned for there historical accuracy especially when we know that alot of footage is fake or staged or manipulated.I can't even call Triumph a documentary,where's the political balance,where's an opposing view,there is'nt. As far as Im concerned its propaganda.Rant Over.
By the way i won't be buying the blu ray.

Old 9th October 2015, 09:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

You're certainly not wrong there, I studied this film and her career as part of a unit on Propaganda and Life in Nazi Germany, and whilst yes calling it a Mondo film does seem not only anachronistic, but incorrect, it's also as the Inspector said, propaganda.

The center of the discussion surrounding the film for us was propaganda or documentary, and from the footage used all the way down to how it was shot, it was undeniable that it was propaganda, but we'll never really know whether she shared those views at the time or if she was just doing her job and making it extremely good.

Either way, I found the film a tedious bore, it's fantastic direction can't save it from being a repetitive trudge of rally shots to marching shots to boring speeches, rinse and repeat.

Glad a company has it though that caters to people with an interest in film and isn't that Neo nazi guy who wanted $50 for the preorder of a blu ray he was supposedly doing

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 9th October 2015, 10:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Ha ha light blue touch paper...
Old 10th October 2015, 06:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
My problem with someone saying that Triumph is a Mondo is that it trivializes the subject matter. Mondo movies on the whole are exploitation movies and made to titillate its audience,and also there not renowned for there historical accuracy especially when we know that alot of footage is fake or staged or manipulated.I can't even call Triumph a documentary,where's the political balance,where's an opposing view,there is'nt. As far as Im concerned its propaganda.Rant Over.
By the way i won't be buying the blu ray.
Many documentaries are one-sided polemics – most of Michael Moore's, for instance – but there is still no denying that The Triumph of the Will is propaganda. I studied it at university along with Jud Süß and Der Ewige Jude, both of which (Particularly Jud Süß, which is insidious and not overtly anti-Semitic) are more morally repugnant than Leni Riefenstahl's film. They are all as problematic as the Jacopetti and Prosperi Mondo movies as far as I'm concerned.
Old 14th October 2015, 10:25 PM
Cult Addict

Glad I gave the French blu-ray a miss, the Mondo Macarbo release of Lizard in a woman's skin appears to be a must buy!

Mondo Macabro: Lucio Fulci's Lizard in a Woman's Skin Blu-ray Release Detailed

Complete version of the feature, 104 minutes 11 seconds, with alternative English and Italian audio tracks with newly created English subtitles.
Documentary Shedding the Skin, with optional commentary from director Kris Gavin. (34 minutes).
When Worlds Collide - Interview with Stephen Thrower author of Beyond Terror: the film of Lucio Fulci. (30 minutes).
Dr Lucio Fulci's Day for Night: An interview with Lucio Fulci. (30 minutes)
From Burton to Baker - interview with actor Tony Adams about his experiences of working on the film. (11 minutes).
Feature Length audio commentary with Pete Tombs and Kris Gavin.
Radio spots for the Schizoid release of the film.
Alternative Italian title sequence.
Original Trailers
Limited edition, limited to 999 numbered copies.
The LE in a red case will have an 8-page full color booklet written by Troy Howarth, author of the forthcoming book Splintered Visions: Lucio Fulci and his films.
Reversible sleeve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lizard.jpg (105.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 15th October 2015, 05:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Glad I gave the French blu-ray a miss, the Mondo Macarbo release of Lizard in a woman's skin appears to be a must buy!

Mondo Macabro: Lucio Fulci's Lizard in a Woman's Skin Blu-ray Release Detailed

Complete version of the feature, 104 minutes 11 seconds, with alternative English and Italian audio tracks with newly created English subtitles.
Documentary Shedding the Skin, with optional commentary from director Kris Gavin. (34 minutes).
When Worlds Collide - Interview with Stephen Thrower author of Beyond Terror: the film of Lucio Fulci. (30 minutes).
Dr Lucio Fulci's Day for Night: An interview with Lucio Fulci. (30 minutes)
From Burton to Baker - interview with actor Tony Adams about his experiences of working on the film. (11 minutes).
Feature Length audio commentary with Pete Tombs and Kris Gavin.
Radio spots for the Schizoid release of the film.
Alternative Italian title sequence.
Original Trailers
Limited edition, limited to 999 numbered copies.
The LE in a red case will have an 8-page full color booklet written by Troy Howarth, author of the forthcoming book Splintered Visions: Lucio Fulci and his films.
Reversible sleeve.
Dammit! It looks like I'll have to buy that one as well.
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th October 2015, 05:23 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

And the reverse artwork.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444929798.335806.jpg
Old 15th October 2015, 07:30 PM
Cult Addict

Given Mondo's treatment of Der Fan it should look excellent.

Like this? Share it using the links below!