Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

gag 21st September 2011 04:30 AM

Creepshow 3 the less said the better
But i did like the story of the 2 lads who cut the women up thinking it was the old mans creation.

Baseball Fury 21st September 2011 07:33 AM

Creepshow 3 is definitely a prime turd.

Prince_Vajda 21st September 2011 09:16 AM

- Kill, Baby...Kill! by Mario Bava. The only impressive murder scene after a few minutes, and a very transparent, simple, and obvious story without any twists: Bava has definitely made better movies than this flick from 1966. But....and this is a big, capitalised BUT - it's a Bava flick after all, and that's enough to make the movie a pleasent experience. The flick's spooky and moody (with great cinematography!), both young leading actresses (Erika Blanc and Fabienne Dali) look gorgeous, and the score by Carlo Rustichelli is great, too. That's why I rate it twice:
--> Considering Mario Bava's filmography, where you find masterpieces like Black Sunday, Hatchet For The Honeymoon (yes, it IS a masterpiece!), and A Bay of Blood: 3,5 out of 5 points
--> The movie itself, considering all the crap that's been made from 1966 till now: 4 out 5 points

Trivia: you'll find the scene with the bouncing ball of the girl -slightly altered- in Lamberto Bava's A Blade In The Dark. :nod:

Recommended! :thumb:

- The Raven, starring KARLOFF and LUGOSI - visit the "Post Your Favourite Film Stills" thread to find a micro-review and some stills.

Greetings!

antmumford 21st September 2011 11:10 AM

I recorded Society off the horror channel a few weeks back and decided to give it a go even though I wasn't really in the mood for a Horror/Comedy (I needed space on the V+). I was pleasantly surprised too, in fact I really really enjoyed it. It was so ridiculous and outrageous and gross and silly that I couldn't help smile throughout. The "morphing" orgy scene near the end (don't want to spoil for people that haven't seen it) was repulsive and completely unexpected so a double thumbs up from me. The print was typically awful as with all horror channel films so I may have to find a good DVD copy, any suggestions?? (I'm not multi region yet so R2 and R0 only please) :pop2:

Phurious 21st September 2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 182992)
I recorded Society off the horror channel a few weeks back and decided to give it a go even though I wasn't really in the mood for a Horror/Comedy (I needed space on the V+). I was pleasantly surprised too, in fact I really really enjoyed it. It was so ridiculous and outrageous and gross and silly that I couldn't help smile throughout. The "morphing" orgy scene near the end (don't want to spoil for people that haven't seen it) was repulsive and completely unexpected so a double thumbs up from me. The print was typically awful as with all horror channel films so I may have to find a good DVD copy, any suggestions?? (I'm not multi region yet so R2 and R0 only please) :pop2:

Love that film, it's so bloody funny and lays the irony on thick. But flippin 'eck the effects are extraordinary and stand up really well today I reckon.

I've got the R2 Tartan Grindhouse release which is absolutely fine (saying that though I'm no audio/visual expert and I'm still more than happy to watch videos ;) ), no extras alas, and you can get it on Amazon for £5.99

antmumford 21st September 2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 182993)
Love that film, it's so bloody funny and lays the irony on thick. But flippin 'eck the effects are extraordinary and stand up really well today I reckon.

I've got the R2 Tartan Grindhouse release which is absolutely fine (saying that though I'm no audio/visual expert and I'm still more than happy to watch videos ;) ), no extras alas, and you can get it on Amazon for £5.99

Cheers for your input :nod: It really is a great film and one that deserves some Arrow Video treatment. Would love to see what Graham, Rick and all could come up with for the artwork.

Just checked DVDcompare and it seems that the Tartan UK and Anchor Bay US are pretty equal releases but the ABUS has a director commentary. I'll have a little look around and see what I can find.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st September 2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 182993)

I also have that particular version of Society, and it is a more than adequate release. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2011 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 182983)
- Kill, Baby...Kill! by Mario Bava. The only impressive murder scene after a few minutes, and a very transparent, simple, and obvious story without any twists: Bava has definitely made better movies than this flick from 1966. But....and this is a big, capitalised BUT - it's a Bava flick after all, and that's enough to make the movie a pleasent experience. The flick's spooky and moody (with great cinematography!), both young leading actresses (Erika Blanc and Fabienne Dali) look gorgeous, and the score by Carlo Rustichelli is great, too. That's why I rate it twice:
--> Considering Mario Bava's filmography, where you find masterpieces like Black Sunday, Hatchet For The Honeymoon (yes, it IS a masterpiece!), and A Bay of Blood: 3,5 out of 5 points
--> The movie itself, considering all the crap that's been made from 1966 till now: 4 out 5 points

Trivia: you'll find the scene with the bouncing ball of the girl -slightly altered- in Lamberto Bava's A Blade In The Dark. :nod:

Recommended! :thumb:

- The Raven, starring KARLOFF and LUGOSI - visit the "Post Your Favourite Film Stills" thread to find a micro-review and some stills.

Greetings!

The Raven is a brilliant film Prince, and i have it earmarked to watch again a little nearer to Halloween on a double bill with The Black Cat.

I guess you may have this, but the release below from Universal contains both films and three others. - Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Invisible Ray and Black Friday.

Phurious 21st September 2011 01:29 PM

Attack The Block

Really enjoyed this for a number of reasons. Very funny with some great one-liners that put me in mind of Shaun Of The Dead. I recognised a lot of the locations (I think it shared some locations with another brilliant Brit flick of recent years; Harry Brown). The performances were uniformly excellent and the creature designs were equally fulfilling.

It was also superbly lit and photographed, particularly that opening crane shot of Oval station which I cycle past on my way to work and the shots of the 'Block' with it's weird ethereal blue light.

Another plus was that the film was paced superbly and never flagged; talkier scenes were genuinely interesting/funny/involving and the action sequences were full of flair and 'peril' (which seems to be the BBFC buzz word of recent years).

Joe Cornish has certainly proved he's got the chops for directing and I for one can't wait to see what he's gonna come up with next.

James Morton 21st September 2011 02:20 PM

What films have you seen recently?

EASTER BUNNY KILL! KILL!
I enjoyed this low budget slasher, good gore scenes though in the dark sometimes, but overall a good film
in the commentary the director says the film cost under $1000 and was shot in about 10 days