Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2011, 02:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Well said Phurious!!

I am trying to get our very own Kyle to watch this but he refuses because he hated the trailer

Some people even compared it to early Carpenter films in terms of photography.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 21st September 2011, 02:25 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
- Kill, Baby...Kill! by Mario Bava. The only impressive murder scene after a few minutes, and a very transparent, simple, and obvious story without any twists: Bava has definitely made better movies than this flick from 1966. But....and this is a big, capitalised BUT - it's a Bava flick after all, and that's enough to make the movie a pleasent experience. The flick's spooky and moody (with great cinematography!), both young leading actresses (Erika Blanc and Fabienne Dali) look gorgeous, and the score by Carlo Rustichelli is great, too. That's why I rate it twice:
--> Considering Mario Bava's filmography, where you find masterpieces like Black Sunday, Hatchet For The Honeymoon (yes, it IS a masterpiece!), and A Bay of Blood: 3,5 out of 5 points
--> The movie itself, considering all the crap that's been made from 1966 till now: 4 out 5 points

With each viewing I increasingly think Kill Baby Kill is actually Bava's masterpiece. It seems to have been as influential as (or more than) any of his other films on subsequent film-makers too. I think it's rather over-looked within his canon.
Old 21st September 2011, 02:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Well said Phurious!!

I am trying to get our very own Kyle to watch this but he refuses because he hated the trailer

Some people even compared it to early Carpenter films in terms of photography.
I've come across a lot of folks who didn't like it all, but for me it absolutely worked.
I can see the Carpenter comparisons actually now that you mention it, but I'd definitely give Thomas Townend (cinematographer) and Joe Cornish their dues as this could definitely match up to anything that the big studios churn out in terms of visual style and magic.

It's certainly going to be one of my biggest recommendations of the year thus far. Just a shame I din't catch it at the cinema.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 21st September 2011, 02:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
With each viewing I increasingly think Kill Baby Kill is actually Bava's masterpiece. It seems to have been as influential as (or more than) any of his other films on subsequent film-makers too. I think it's rather over-looked within his canon.
I only saw it for the first time a couple of months ago and I didn't get on with it at all. To be fair I watched it halfway through a massive movie marathon that I was undertaking (it was the eleventh of twenty six films that I watched in a row) so was somewhat worse for wear.
Another downer for me though is that I'm not keen on ghost stories at all. I've always struggled with them and this was no different, but to balance it out I absolutely loved the closing ten minutes.
I hope to revisit it again in the not too distant future and hopefully (as is often the case) something in me will help change my mind.

Old 21st September 2011, 02:37 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched the remake of Arthur, with Russell Brand and Helen Mirren which made me laugh all the way through, could've help that im a fan of Brand, people who dislike him might want to stay clear though as it's very much his show, although Mirren holds her own against him.

Then i watched Tucker & Dale VS Evil, which i though was bloody brilliant, a clever gory horror comedy with two of the most likeable hillbillies this side of Hills Have Eyes. A high recommendation...
Old 21st September 2011, 02:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched
David Cronenberg madame butterfly

A slow film but i enjoyed it
Old 21st September 2011, 02:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

To be truthful dont think ive ever seen a mario bava film..
Old 21st September 2011, 02:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
I've come across a lot of folks who didn't like it all, but for me it absolutely worked.
I can see the Carpenter comparisons actually now that you mention it, but I'd definitely give Thomas Townend (cinematographer) and Joe Cornish their dues as this could definitely match up to anything that the big studios churn out in terms of visual style and magic.

It's certainly going to be one of my biggest recommendations of the year thus far. Just a shame I din't catch it at the cinema.
I saw it in the cinema!
was very good

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 21st September 2011, 02:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Pete and Prince_Vajda like this.
Old 21st September 2011, 03:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I've only just been getting on the case recently. I've been hearing about his movies, reading about them and seeing them referenced for years, but simply never got round to watching the damned things

I got the two Anchor Bay box sets and am working my through them slowly. Too early to form a definitive opinion of his works as of yet, but I get the feeling he's a bit like my nemesis; Argento, who I've struggled with, but am coming to terms with now.

Like this? Share it using the links below!