LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2011, 06:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
You stated the Blue Underground was cut and I replied
members can always research otherwise, I have said this in the past and given info (correct) to them about dvds
there are so many versions out there of films
just because of this fact at dvdcompare and you're going on....
You just got the wrong end of the stick with my post. The wink icon should have told you something.

Plato whose post i was replying to will have got it.

My info came from other posts on other forums. For example -

"I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to see just how much the mood and character of a film can be changed by an export version to see the original Spanish version of this film, BESAME, MONSTRUO (1967). It's the "covered version" but not disappointing since there isn't that much nudity in KISS ME, MONSTER in any case. This version has a different, and preferable [to me, at least], Fernando Garcia Morcillo musical score, is 6m longer and has some interesting experimental lighting/transitional/staging effects dropped from KMM. In some cases the export version has lines of dialogue dubbed into moments in the film which had no dialogue at all in the Spanish version!

Most importantly, KMM has much footage from other unrelated, non Jess Franco films edited into it: the car chase under the opening credits, the Jazz concert segment, shots of aircraft taking off and landing, footage from Franco's SADISTERORICA (1967), just to cite the most obvious cases. This was obviously done to make it sexier, faster paced, broader in humor (I think it's just sillier) and more acceptable to American tastes. All these inserts do not appear in BM and it's still 6m longer!

BESAME MONSTRUO is a more eccentric, stranger, colloquial, Francoesque film. It's more "Spanish" in the sense that it prefers a kind of deadpan verbal satire to the broader wise cracks of the English version (Franco's wise cracks tend to comment on themselves and the genre itself).

The version I have has an odd inset of a small car in the upper right hand corner of the letterboxed frame indicating either a Spanish TV broadcast or obscure Spanish video source.

The Spanish version of the companion 1967 "Red Lips" feature, TWO UNDERCOVER ANGELS, is also totally different from the more familiar export version."
Old 22nd September 2011, 06:08 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

you have pleased the Francophiles
Old 22nd September 2011, 08:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Can everyone please remember how easy it is to misconstrue something from a written post and try to remain civil and friendly?

Thanks in advance!
Phurious likes this.
Old 22nd September 2011, 08:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Machete this morning, for the first time. Yeah, it's not a patch on Hobo with a shotgun, but I enjoyed it all the same. Followed it with the original A Nightmare on Elm St, even though I've lost count of how many times I've seen it since the tender age of 11, I still love this film. Currently watching Shadow: Dead Riot on the Horror Channel, absolute garbage so far, I can't see me lasting until the end TBH

Violence is Italian Art
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Can everyone please remember how easy it is to misconstrue something from a written post and try to remain civil and friendly?

Thanks in advance!
I wasn't being unfriendly, i don't think James was either.
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I enjoyed SADISTEROTICA/ TWO UNDERCOVER ANGELS. Thought KISS ME MONSTER was boring though. (Incidently, the Redemption VHS of KMM was cut by the bbfc)

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I only watched them for the first time last year and really enjoyed them both, Two Undercover Angels was by far the best film though.
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I enjoy most Franco films, seen almost 70 of them.
Phurious likes this.

Old 22nd September 2011, 10:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I enjoy most Franco films, seen almost 70 of them.
Thats impressive (i think)

I probably own around 30 - 40 and like you enjoy them very much. He has a very unfair reputation.

This thread is near the end of its 999th page. Thats some going. Guessing its the most popular thread on the forum.
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love him, he has his own unique style and doesn't care what anyone thinks. I do think you have be in a certain mood to really appreciate his work though.

Also, I think the stick he get's is due to the fact that for years his less personal work like CANNIBALS, REVENGE IN THE HOUSE OF USHER, OASIS OF THE ZOMBIES etc where the only films available, while most of his better films weren't available until fairly recently.

Like this? Share it using the links below!