Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

gag 26th February 2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 522723)
I think some of it is down to cinema's as well some of whom only book big budget blockbuster films.:loco:
My local didn't even have Trainspotting 2, twats, i'm sure that would have brought some people in due to the reputation of the original, stars and director.

Also doesn't help any when cinema with eg 10 screens show one particular film on 2\3 screens for the first week.. When they could be showing other films on these screen.
Not everyone into superhero films ..

nosferatu42 26th February 2017 04:21 PM

Where i am they're building a multi screen cinema in the local shopping precinct soon.
The local 3 screen cinema (that is just around the corner) is gonna have to go down the independent/ cult route hopefully to survive (if they've got any sense), otherwise they are going to be totally screwed.:nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th February 2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 522713)
Sci-fi has been in a bit of a golden period recently with films like Interstellar, The Martian and Gravity being three examples, so the stories are out there, they just need to be gambled on.

Add Arrival to that list – a brilliant film from Ted Chiang's superb short story 'Story of Your Life'.

gag 26th February 2017 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 522729)
Where i am they're building a multi screen cinema in the local shopping precinct soon.
The local 3 screen cinema (that is just around the corner) is gonna have to go down the independent/ cult route hopefully to survive (if they've got any sense), otherwise they are going to be totally screwed.:nod:

Know exactly what you mean, we had a cinema in Blackburn in a old building and had 3 screens and was the main cinema in Blackburn, remember going there as a young child, one year they expanded it and made it into a 5 cinema and showed main blockbuster on big screen while rest where on smaller screen..then they would move that film to smaller screen if still popular for the newest or latest film to be shown on big screen ..it was always packed and cheaply priced as well.
Around 15 year they built a multiplex vue cinema . can't remember exactly how many screens it got I think 14.. Few years later the cinema that's been there for over 50yrs closed and everyone wasn't happy about it i still went there and supported it like a lot of people did , guess they felt they couldn't compete , find big business are forcing small businesses out and to close... They have only one interest and that's money and so many places like these big complexes are soulless places with soulless people who work there and only doing there job to earn a living ..where other places did it because they loved their work and was warm friendly and welcoming. Then becomes to point they have the monopoly where only place for people to go and watch a film and charge ridiculous prices for everything.

nosferatu42 27th February 2017 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The White Reindeer (1952)

Attachment 187564

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlfwXXpOm7I

Stumbled across this somewhere on the internet, looked it up and it sounded interesting so bought the above dvd.
A little known Finnish film that was apparently shown at Cannes at the time and won a golden globe award but has since faded into obscurity.

Set in a small community living in a snowy bleak landscape, where not much seems to go on that doesn't involve reindeers, the locals herd them, hunt them and race them.:rockon:
During a race a man and woman end up falling down a hill together and falling in love, he asks her father for her hand and they get married, so everything's great right? well no actually.
He has to go off for long spells in to the wilderness hunting i guess, so the wife is left alone and lonely.:rolleyes:

It's not long before she goes to a local shaman type bloke and asks him to make her a spell, i thought it was to make her husband stay with her at first but it seems to have the effect of getting all the blokes around to fancy her.
To get the spell to work she sacrifices a reindeer at a shrine surrounded by reindeer horns.

A side effect is that she ends up turning into a reindeer on occasions and luring men off and killing them.
So what we have here is essentially a werewolf type story of a curse and transformations. But the young woman spouts fangs in certain scenes (do reindeer have fangs??:confused:) so in some scenes she seems vampiric.

The story is told from the wife's perspective so we feel for her and watch as she goes through the realisation that she is cursed, the actress gives a nice performance that i found mesmerising.
The lighting in the creepier scenes is dark and shadowy and i found these moments quite striking.
The landscape is shot beautifully and the life and customs of the rural inhabitants is interesting and that gives the film a really unusual feel.
There is also a haunting song that adds a lot of atmosphere to certain scenes.

The story is slight and the film is pretty short at just over an hour but i really enjoyed it, there isn't any effects in the transformation scenes and no bloodletting, but instead we get a nuanced, folklore/fairytale style film with horror elements.

I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to film fans who enjoy the old Universal black and white horror / Val Lewton films or world cinema.

The dvd i have is pictured above, it has a pretty decent picture and english subtitles.

I loved it. 9/10 :pop2:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 27th February 2017 09:30 AM

I really rate that one too, Nos. :nod:

I watched a wonky Youtube print of it a few years ago and fell in love with it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th February 2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 522786)
I really rate that one too, Nos. :nod:

I watched a wonky Youtube print of it a few years ago and fell in love with it.

I think i might pick up a copy for this years DD. :pop2:

I have heard of it before, it's in the Aurum Horror encyclopedia for 1952. Trust me when i say you remember horrors from 52. There were only 6 and two of them were Finnish.

nosferatu42 27th February 2017 09:46 AM

The other Finnish one was "Return of the witch/witch returns", really want to see that properly it's on youtube without subtitles.:rolleyes:

J Harker 27th February 2017 10:33 AM

Does sound interesting. £8 on Amazon.

Cinematic Shocks 27th February 2017 11:04 AM

Long Weekend (1978)

***1/2 out of *****

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th February 2017 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gallowwalkers (2012)

Wesley Snipes hybrid film. Part western, part horror, totally incomprehensible.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th February 2017 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wild (2014)

Reese Witherspoon stars in a chronicle of one woman's 1,100-mile solo hike along the Pacific Crest Trail, undertaken as a way to recover from a recent personal tragedy.

Wild felt like Easy Rider for the hiking generation and in a way it is. Except in Wild, Witherspoon is leaving a life of sadness, death, heroin and dangerous sex and seeking redemption from herself along the way. Witherspoon gives a terrific, soul baring performance in a film that captures the emotional anguish and pleasures of one woman as she attempts to heal herself.

Based on the true story of Cheryl Strayed, Wild isn't the bubbly, clean cut Witherspoon we've come to know, Strayed is an unlikable character with a gritty past but as the hike goes on we get into her head and begin to feel warmth for her, especially in seeing how out of her depth she is on her own in the remote wilderness. Her former life is played out in flashbacks as she comes to terms with her misdemeanors along the way.

Beautifully photographed the film captured the loneliness of the great outdoors and the anxiety that hits you when you meet someone - at one point when she meets a hillbilly type farmer in his pick up who offers her a hot meal and a shower she says 'I was scared of you, i thought you were going to kill me', to which he replies kindly 'I know you did'. Therein lies the difference between Wild and Easy Rider.

I have to say i really enjoyed Wild. It isn't an easy watch but i found it very rewarding and is a film i'll definitely go back to.

Justin101 27th February 2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 522726)
Also doesn't help any when cinema with eg 10 screens show one particular film on 2\3 screens for the first week.. When they could be showing other films on these screen.
Not everyone into superhero films ..

50 Shades Darker is on so many screens in Liverpool it's ridiculous. So, it's not only super hero movies.

Demoncrat 27th February 2017 02:08 PM

Malone (1987, Harley Cokliss)
Burt Reynolds and his wig take a detour into Yojimbo territory, with some smut and Cliff Robertson as some sort of survivalist (?) thrown in. Fairly violent (for the time) romp, from the director of The Glitterball and Battletruck. Not as much fun as Stick.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016, Edward Zwick)
Never Read Lee Child. Never Saw The First Film. Can Barely Stand To Look At Cruise In The First Place.
Verdict? Somewhat troubling overlong film. Easy to see why TC picked this one out of the myriad, as it is a "family" film cough. Always with the running still....:confused: He doesn't look as haggard as he did in the last MI film either. Next!!

The House With Laughing Windows (1976, Pupi Avati)
Shriekingly weird film from the bloke who brought you Zeder Cough! As he admits, he doesn't like horror films, so so many of the tropes and cliches we find so darn comforting, are whipped away from under you, leaving you unstable and vulnerable. Or it could be the drink. Restoring a mural in a rural church uncovers dark and twisted secrets. Look, I live in one of these, and quite frankly would believe anything involving yokels haha.

To finish...another from 76
Marathon Man (John Schlesinger)
Dustin jogs. Schneider schemes, Olivier is unflinching. Oh, and the chap from Rolling Thunder gets shot. Based on William Goldman's nipply paced novel, this rather wacky farrago involving McCarthy, diamonds and shadowy government agencies is prime post Watergate stuff. From the modern eye, a pair of old codgers in a car chase would no doubt seem "post modern" somehow, but here there is just the spectacle. Still quite a gripping wee film, and a revelation (Paramount WS dvd) as most TV screenings were cut for language I find out!!

Make Them Die Slowly 27th February 2017 03:12 PM

Harvest Lake

Blimey, not sure what to make of this so here is a lazy review...HP Lovecraft gets knobed by early David Cronenberg after watching Possession with special effects that look like leftovers from Zontar and It Conquered the World. This has the making to be a mini left field classic but is let down by script and Ã*cting that jolt the viewer back to reality as the film gets increasing weird as it goes along making the erotic edge that is constantly being built come across as crude and fumbling. Still that said, it looks great and at times slips into its own dream world and becomes totally convincing in these scenes.

Contains scenes of graphic fungi fingering and spoor sucking. You have been warned.

SymbioticFunction 27th February 2017 03:20 PM

Suspiria.

Watched the new Italian 4K restored Suspiria blu-ray. Happy to report that it comes with lossless 5.1 English sound (with correct music levels and all sound effects present) and no forced subtitles. It cost me just 15 pounds including delivery (via courier) to the UK. What can you say about the film itself? It is a stone-cold horror classic. Beautiful colours, stunning photography, wonderful music by Goblin, great performances and some really good violent special effects.

The film has never looked so beautiful, it frequently looks fantastic - the 4K mastered restoration by TLE Films finally produces a HD print with all details intact, correct colours and no flawed high contrast shots. The easiest way of describing it, would be to mention that it pretty much looks like the excellent PQ of the Anchor Bay dvd only this time, it's in stunning high definition (but with a far more pronounced colour scheme).

There's some forthcoming German 4K versions which will feature encoding by TLE Films themselves so it may be worth waiting for that. Superior encoding will result in even more fine detail being presented. But German versions are also frequently pricey so the current Italian blu-ray has a lot in it's favour - picking this up was cheaper than the wife and I going to the cinema and it's something which I also get to keep. :)

Worth mentioning that the end credits use a different font this time around (the same font as the opening credits). Purists may balk at that but according to TLE Films, this is a reconstruction of the original Italian credits that were lost along the way. So it's a change which I can support. btw I never noticed the brightly lit McDonald's logos before, during the airport opening. ;)

Highly recommended bd. Link for ordering:

https://www.amazon.it/Suspiria-Versi...spiria+blu-ray

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th February 2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 522805)
Wild (2014)

I'm glad you seem to have enjoyed this as much as I did, when I saw it at the cinema and reviewed it here (link) back in January 2015, the day after I watched American Sniper, also reviewing it here (link. I have seen and enjoyed Wild since, but haven't felt any desire to revisit American Sniper.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th February 2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 522831)
I'm glad you seem to have enjoyed this as much as I did, when I saw it at the cinema and reviewed it here (link) back in January 2015, the day after I watched American Sniper, also reviewing it here (link. I have seen and enjoyed Wild since, but haven't felt any desire to revisit American Sniper.

I really did like Wild. Without wishing to sound like Trebor, i wasn't expecting an awful lot from the film and was more than pleasantly surprised. It's a film that's lingered in my head as well. Not so much moments from it but the film as a whole.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th February 2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 522835)
I really did like Wild. Without wishing to sound like Trebor, i wasn't expecting an awful lot from the film and was more than pleasantly surprised. It's a film that's lingered in my head as well. Not so much moments from it but the film as a whole.

Same here. I would really like to do something like that and just get away from everything for them extended period of time, but it's just not possible.

Justin101 27th February 2017 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 522842)
Same here. I would really like to do something like that and just get away from everything for them extended period of time, but it's just not possible.

It's funny because there is a sketch bit in the Gilmore Girls revival series (I'm not sure if you watch/have seen it) where Lorelei decides she wants to 'do Wild' and she gets to the trail and there are 20+ other women there wanting to get away from it all and 'do Wild' haha. They even got into the debate book vs film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th February 2017 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 522845)
It's funny because there is a sketch bit in the Gilmore Girls revival series (I'm not sure if you watch/have seen it) where Lorelei decides she wants to 'do Wild' and she gets to the trail and there are 20+ other women there wanting to get away from it all and 'do Wild' haha. They even got into the debate book vs film.

I've never seen The Gilmore Girls, but guess that's a case of 'it's funny because it's true'

keirarts 27th February 2017 08:57 PM

The cure for wellness

I have to say now I've never been the biggest Gore Verbinski fan. Mousehunt was terrific but he failed to deliver on that initial promise and the only film I really rated of his aside from that was the original Pirates of the Caribbean. Still, I thought. £4.99 at the local Vue gives more incentive to give things a go and frankly I'm glad I did.
It stars Dane DeHaan as a young but up and coming power player in wall street who gets a chance to redeem himself after screwing up by heading to Switzerland to persuade one of his firms top executives to return from an isolated spa resort. The company had recently received a troubling letter from him stating his intention to never return. Upon reaching the remote community he is involved in an accident and is forced to extend the stay. While there he uncovers some troubling secrets about the resort and its creepy owner played by Jason Isaacs.
The cure for wellness is not a perfect film. Some of the effects don't hold up as well as they should including a shot of the resort that i'm still not certain isn't deliberately intended to look like a matte painting. The film could also stand to lose about 30 minutes and in places moments feel contrived in order to keep the plot rolling along. Hoewever I have to admit coming away from the film with an overall sense that I actually liked it. Its rare to see a horror that avoids jump scares entirely and instead tries to generate tension from some genuinely f***** up imagery. Its a two and a half hour horror that retains an 18 certificate without resorting to straight up gore, though it does have a rather Fulci-esque dental scene. The film seems to be borrowing more from gothic horror and euro thrillers of the 70's with a genuinely screwed up ending that could have been lifted from something by Bava. Especially if I were to pick one Bava film it reminded me of in places it would be Baron Blood. Its flawed for certain but they simply dont make films like this anymore and on this basis its deserving of a chance. If your local has it showing I'd say give it a go and thats the first time I'd say that about a Vewrbinski film in some time.

Justin101 27th February 2017 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 522864)
The cure for wellness

I have to say now I've never been the biggest Gore Verbinski fan. Mousehunt was terrific but he failed to deliver on that initial promise and the only film I really rated of his aside from that was the original Pirates of the Caribbean. Still, I thought. £4.99 at the local Vue gives more incentive to give things a go and frankly I'm glad I did.
It stars Dane DeHaan as a young but up and coming power player in wall street who gets a chance to redeem himself after screwing up by heading to Switzerland to persuade one of his firms top executives to return from an isolated spa resort. The company had recently received a troubling letter from him stating his intention to never return. Upon reaching the remote community he is involved in an accident and is forced to extend the stay. While there he uncovers some troubling secrets about the resort and its creepy owner played by Jason Isaacs.
The cure for wellness is not a perfect film. Some of the effects don't hold up as well as they should including a shot of the resort that i'm still not certain isn't deliberately intended to look like a matte painting. The film could also stand to lose about 30 minutes and in places moments feel contrived in order to keep the plot rolling along. Hoewever I have to admit coming away from the film with an overall sense that I actually liked it. Its rare to see a horror that avoids jump scares entirely and instead tries to generate tension from some genuinely f***** up imagery. Its a two and a half hour horror that retains an 18 certificate without resorting to straight up gore, though it does have a rather Fulci-esque dental scene. The film seems to be borrowing more from gothic horror and euro thrillers of the 70's with a genuinely screwed up ending that could have been lifted from something by Bava. Especially if I were to pick one Bava film it reminded me of in places it would be Baron Blood. Its flawed for certain but they simply dont make films like this anymore and on this basis its deserving of a chance. If your local has it showing I'd say give it a go and thats the first time I'd say that about a Vewrbinski film in some time.

I was going to go and see it but the running time was really putting me off, plus some reviews i've watched/read have all said the same thing, great direction, great visuals, very thin 'story' and it all falls apart in the last act. One thing they all agree on is that it could easily lose up to an hour of it's running time.

I am curious though...

keirarts 27th February 2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 522865)
I was going to go and see it but the running time was really putting me off, plus some reviews i've watched/read have all said the same thing, great direction, great visuals, very thin 'story' and it all falls apart in the last act. One thing they all agree on is that it could easily lose up to an hour of it's running time.

I am curious though...

I disagree with the critics about the ending. It's the point where the film seems to embrace the sort of insanity the reminded me of a lot of euro horror. I'd say it's more 30 mins too long. At the end of the day I prefer overblown self indulgence to the almost mechanical by the numbers approach of a lot of modern horror.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th February 2017 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 522864)
The cure for wellness

Although the trailer made this look interesting, its use of the phrase "From visionary director Gore Verbinski" was a huge turnoff because I don't think he's made anything which can seriously be called 'visionary'. He's not Tarkovsky, Kubrick, Eisenstein, Murnau, Hitchcock, Godard, Bergman, or even Christopher Nolan. Verbinski is more like Renny Harlin or Brett Ratner.

All that said, your review has made me interested in it and I'll try and watch it this week after catching up on Moonlight which, following last night's Oscars, I am very keen to see.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th February 2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 522868)
"From visionary director Gore Verbinski"

:pound:

He's about as visionary as Uwe Boll!

keirarts 27th February 2017 10:25 PM

As I said. Mousehunt aside I cannot think of any Gore Verbinski films I actually like. I certainly would not label him a visionary. I just liked the film a lot more than I was expecting. It's not a reboot, remake, reimaginging. It's not an adaptation and it doesn't feel like a film made by committee. For all its flaws it felt like a film where the people who made it where allowed something close to free reign. It's not a perfect film but an interesting one.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th February 2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 522869)
:pound:

He's about as visionary as Uwe Boll!

Exactly. That's what made me do a double take and dismiss the trailer on the spot. See for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mcVodJmBlU

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th February 2017 10:38 PM

It looks stylish but i'm not sure i fancy it going off the trailer. Keirarts review makes it seem more up my street though.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th February 2017 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 522876)
It looks stylish but i'm not sure i fancy it going off the trailer. Keirarts review makes it seem more up my street though.

I meant about the "visionary director" claim, not the way the film is sold in the trailer.

Mojo 28th February 2017 03:48 PM

ABSURD
George Eastman stars as a madman killer of unknown origin, who wakes up during surgery and proceeds to murder his way through a house of people, including a partially disabled girl, played by NANA's Katya Berger.
The whole thing is as absurd as its title, but good gory fun for fans of Italian splatter. Anyway, time to throw away those 'horrible' MYA dvds for this sparkling new blu ray from 88 Films, which recreates its famous bloody axe video sleeve.

THE HOUSE THAT SCREAMED
This highly regarded Spanish thriller concerning murder in a girls boarding school arrives on blu ray through Scream Factory. Never having seen this one before, I must admit I was highly impressed with this very stylish effort, which is as good as it reputation.
There are two versions of the film here: the shorter US theatrical release and the longer international cut, with inserts. Although there is a slight dip in quality with said inserts, this longer edition is definitely the one to go for. The whole film has a real Hammer look and feel to it ( maybe this is the kind of film they should have been making late 60s/ early 70s ). Not so much a Spanish giallo, more a Hammer giallo! Recommended.

Cinematic Shocks 28th February 2017 06:53 PM

I've never understood why Gore Verbinski's Ring remake is rated so highly. 'Ringu' is far superior.

Nordicdusk 28th February 2017 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 187635

As a child Rebecca is plagued by visits from an unseen entity called Diane. Growing up with a mother who has serious mental health issues she convinces herself it's all in her imagination growing up with her sick mom and without a dad that walked out on them both as a result of the mother's illness. But years later after getting a call from child services about her brother her past comes back to haunt her when he says that his moms friend Diane is calling around to the house all the time.

Without giving too much away this is a pretty interesting idea which resonates with me from my childhood i always had this thing growing up that once there was a light in the room between the room i was in and the previous room then i would be safe because if anything or anyone was following me the light would prevent them from entering that room and thus not been able to catch up with me. If only i had written that down i could of sued :lol:

No where near as bad as i had expected a decent idea executed pretty well there was some creepy moments that worked nicely and the acting was solid but couple of things were a bit too predictable and the boyfriend was a bit too understanding right from the get go which under the circumstances i was expecting him to have some skepticism but no he just went straight along for the ride maybe that's just the power of the gold at the end of the rainbow ;)

Not a must but entertaining enough to warrant a watch.

Lights Out get a

7/10

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th February 2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 522952)
I've never understood why Gore Verbinski's Ring remake is rated so highly. 'Ringu' is far superior.

Couldn't agree more! I even re-appraised Gore's remake as part of my Halloween viewing last year as I thought it was maybe just young me being purposefully dismissive of remakes at the time I first watched it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 508594)
The Ring (2002)

http://zardoz.a.ltrbxd.com/resized/s...g?k=0bb9830547

When I first watched this one during J-Horror's mainstream peak, with my shelves crammed full of Tartan Asia Extreme DVDs and my head full of pale juvenile ghosts with wide eyes and lank hair, I considered it nothing more than a pointless cash-grab targeted at dumb western audiences who want everything spoon-fed to them and can't/don't want to read subtitles and watch a film at the same time. I just assumed everyone else who had an appreciation for the subtleties and nuances that make up a lot of Asian horror cinema thought the same.

With time however, there emerged some positivity for this one and at first my young (then teenage) self bluntly dismissed anything positive that was aimed towards it, but that denial eventually gave way to bemusement and then finally contemplation, with the thought that maybe I had missed something the first time around and this one was worth another shot - the 'three stages of re-appraisal' if you will.

Revisiting it for the first time in almost 14 years (with some trepidation I may add), but with a more open mind, I must admit that I didn't quite have the same extreme distaste for it that I did the first time around. Sure, it's clunky and awkward in places with some poor performances (I generally feel Eastern cultures and tales when transposed into more Westernised templates never quite gel right and should therefore be not cut to fit in the first place so films such as this never resonate very well with me irrelevant of how well they are executed), but there is no mistaking that Verbinski did at least try to create something with a little style and substance to it. A great deal of the eeriness and terror, which made the original work so well has dissipated, but instead we have more well-rounded characters and an interesting spin on the material rather than a straight scene-by-scene remake.

However, despite a more positive (i.e. +neutral-) reaction this time around, overall if you’re after watching a film of this ilk, I'd just advise that you stick to Nakata's original which utilises the source material and themes far more effectively than this one does, irrespective of how hard it tries.

44/100

...but no.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th February 2017 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attack on the Iron Coast (1968)

Lloyd Bridges leads a team of commandos on a daring mission into the French port of Le Clerc, now a Nazi naval stronghold, with the aim of ramming the harbour with an explosives laden mine sweeper in a bid to cripple the German naval effort.

Second tier British war film with an overly talky first half. However once aboard the mine sweeper in the storm lashed Channel the film becomes quite atmospheric as Bridges and naval Captain, Andrew Keir clash, Bridges with his gung-ho heroism and Keir, all beardy pragmatism. Naturally it all culminates in a fiery finale as shit blows up big time.

iank 28th February 2017 11:21 PM

I guess he picked the wrong day to give up sniffing glue!

Frankie Teardrop 28th February 2017 11:28 PM

THE WOMAN – Lucky McKee and Jack Ketchum get together for this follow-up to 'Offspring'. It's about a misogynistic lawyer who captures a wild-woman and basically tortures her in his cellar, roping in various family members along the way. He has an even nastier little secret hiding in his kennel. 'The Woman' is a fairly weird hybrid of slow burning indie family drama and brutal horror, and I really quite like the way its downbeat, depressing tale of implied incest and familial claustrophobia is offset by the sheer strangeness of scenes where husband, wife and kids crowd around and gawp at this woman chained beneath the house. There's the randomness too of this wild-woman concept if you're not familiar with 'Offspring'. Some aspects grate slightly, like the alt rock soundtrack, but the film totally nails the unremitting shitiness of the man of the house, who is the leering personification of female hatred. For those who are in it for the gore, 'The Woman' gets pretty harsh towards the end with some enjoyably unsentimental butchery. Recommended.

I DRINK YOUR BLOOD – These kind of things are subjective, but if you asked a bunch of people to name their ultimate grindhouse flick, I bet a lot of them would come up with IDYB. I certainly feel that way about it. IDYB may not be the the absolute pinnacle of seventies excess, either in terms of sex, violence or sheer far outness, but it's steeped in the kind of feverish lunacy that for me marks out the essential character of amped up low brow horror pulp (or rather, how these kind of movies are supposed to be but so rarely are). It throws together nasty hippies, bits of satanism and the occult that don't really go anywhere, and a Romero-Cronenberg style viral outbreak. The reason for all this dementia? A plucky kid injects evil trip commune's meat pies with rabies after they spike his granddad with acid... no, you couldn't make it up. But that's the root of IDYB's charm, a total disregard for basic narrative sense that could've come from the wrong end of one of Bhasker's doobies. The resulting immersion in lysergic bad taste leaves its the audience reeling and having to deal with a movie which seems to casually toss in a badly thought through anti-drugs message at the same time as it revels in lo-fi gore and sleaze. Hysterical trash of the first order.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th February 2017 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 523017)
THE WOMAN –

Oddly i didn't rate Offspring on first watch. It was only when The Woman came out on dvd i thought i'd rewatch it the night prior to The Woman, that it all clicked.

Probably they make a fine double bill (although i've never tried it)

gag 1st March 2017 01:18 AM

Talk of j horror Was going to watch ju on didn't realise their was so many of them .
Has anyone seen these and what are you're opinion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ju-On_(franchise)

Also could anyone give me the proper listing of the ring \ringu films please I tend to get a tadge lost with these ..thanks
In correct order inc remakes etc .:thankingyou:

MuckyFunster 1st March 2017 01:40 AM

What Films Have You Seen Recently?

The Wolf of Wall Street.

3 hours?!? Jeesh!

I thought the film started out good. Showing you the guy's quick ascent and all that. Plus It's pretty funny too.

But then when I remembered it's a true story I went off the whole thing. The way that it is narrated and acted out obviously wants you to cheer him on, to be glad for him and his "success". Glorifies the lifestyle...all the money, the women, the drugs, the mad parties...Slags off the cops throughout. The character buying his way out of any problems he encounters...writing it all off as him chasing and living the American Dream. It's what everyone wants, after all!

The scene on the train with the cop who lead the investigation seemed like a real-life personal dig. I took it to be affirming the film's message that crime does pay. Wether or not Jordan Belford had to do a couple of years in jail, he has come out the other side still rich. And regardless...he lived the dream while the cop scraped at the dirt. Turned me off against the whole film.

And then the plug that the guy is now a real life motivational speaker!!?? With the real life Jordan Belford playing a wee cameo??!! He's loving every moment of his notoriety. Did I just sit through a three hour self gratifying advert for an obviously un-reformed criminal's new career??

The fact I watched it all the way to the end makes me feel conned, like one of his many victims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk