Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Nordicdusk 1st March 2017 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 187713

Ten years after the events of the first film Sidney Prescott returns to promote her new book . As soon as she steps foot in her home town the Ghostface murders start up again terrorizing a whole new crop of annoying collage assholes.

This here is a real mixed bag first off the good the kills look really good granted they are all stabbings but the effects are realistic. Wow that was shorter than i thought.

Now the bad.

The acting is pretty shit and the story is shit the whole idea behind the killings was just stupid. In the original there was a lot of talk of the rules of horror and what to do and what not to do to survive but here every single person is talking about the rules of horror even the bloody cops were at it. Every single person is this film is just so agonisingly stupid that it hurts my brain watching it. Even when Ghost Face was on screen attacking people his victims just didn't have any urgency to escape or even show much emotion at all just way too calm which repeatedly removed me from fearing for the character just left me with an attitude of well if they dont care why should i.

Maybe i missed something but i wouldn't recommend this at all and it saddens me that this was Wes Craven's last film. It really lacked fun i just felt annoyed and frustrated after such a promising start it just went down hill at a rapid pace.

Scream 4 gets a

4/10 just because i enjoyed the kills.

J Harker 1st March 2017 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 523058)
I think we should change the title of this place to Mainstream Labs.

Does no one discuss cult movies anymore? Frankie reviewed I Drink Your Blood and The Woman and .... nothing.

Someone dislikes a huge box office crunching movie such as Wolf of Wall Street and we have pages of discussion.

Still at least it's discussion.

Next up Bridget Jones Baby.

On this topic, I haven't even heard of half the stuff Lord Teardrop reviews and frankly he can make any old shit sound fantastic which kind of makes me wonder what any of us mortals could add.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st March 2017 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 523225)
On this topic, I haven't even heard of half the stuff Lord Teardrop reviews and frankly he can make any old shit sound fantastic which kind of makes me wonder what any of us mortals could add.

Frankie likes his dream like states when it comes to movies. Whether this refers to the films or just Frankie himself i'm never too sure.

J Harker 1st March 2017 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 523224)
Attachment 187713

Ten years after the events of the first film Sidney Prescott returns to promote her new book . As soon as she steps foot in her home town the Ghostface murders start up again terrorizing a whole new crop of annoying collage assholes.

This here is a real mixed bag first off the good the kills look really good granted they are all stabbings but the effects are realistic. Wow that was shorter than i thought.

Now the bad.

The acting is pretty shit and the story is shit the whole idea behind the killings was just stupid. In the original there was a lot of talk of the rules of horror and what to do and what not to do to survive but here every single person is talking about the rules of horror even the bloody cops were at it. Every single person is this film is just so agonisingly stupid that it hurts my brain watching it. Even when Ghost Face was on screen attacking people his victims just didn't have any urgency to escape or even show much emotion at all just way too calm which repeatedly removed me from fearing for the character just left me with an attitude of well if they dont care why should i.

Maybe i missed something but i wouldn't recommend this at all and it saddens me that this was Wes Craven's last film. It really lacked fun i just felt annoyed and frustrated after such a promising start it just went down hill at a rapid pace.

Scream 4 gets a

4/10 just because i enjoyed the kills.

You didn't miss anything Nord. Scream 4 is pants. Mainly it was just boring.

iank 2nd March 2017 12:07 AM

I thought it was great personally. 2nd best of the series IMO...

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 2nd March 2017 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 523230)
2nd best of the series IMO...

I'd agree on this point - however that's not saying much!

bleakshaun 2nd March 2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 523228)
You didn't miss anything Nord. Scream 4 is pants. Mainly it was just boring.

i don't mind scream 4, to be honest i just thought david arquette was what ade it, trying to be a badass but just being bad

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd March 2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 523230)
I thought it was great personally. 2nd best of the series IMO...

I think it's possibly better than the third instalment, but the first two are the best – the first one was a groundbreaking meta slasher film and the second cleverly played with the 'sequel rules' to create something which was clever and possibly the equal of the first.

I haven't seen any of the TV series, but want to watch all four films in a reasonably short period of time in order to properly rank them and then watch the TV show. That'll probably be something for the Easter break.

Demoncrat 2nd March 2017 05:38 PM

I'l stick with Scream Queens methinks. ;)

Not quite a film...but quite cult imho

Let There Be Light
The documentary on the UK Dark Star blu is a must for any fan of 70s cinema. Whilst it does suffer somewhat at the end, this is as good as it gets with these retrospective critters...even if JC is only heard in voice over cough. The origin of the "alien" is a hoot etc.Good use is also made of the rather creepy ST from the film. Too many highlights (especially if you actually like the bloody film haha). Ahem.:nod:

Nordicdusk 2nd March 2017 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 187737

Roger and Frank are two close friends with a passion for motorcycles when they head out into the Texas wilderness with their wives for a vacation in their new motorhome for some off road motocross a dream break away from the hustle and bustle of the city . But soon the vacation turns into a living nightmare when they witness a sacrifice during a satanic ritual. From here on out things go from bad to worse when they are followed everywhere they go crazy things keep happening to their motor home every single person they meet is even shadier than the last. Is there anyway out of this living hell.

Brilliant film full of paranoia with barely any relief for the entire running time the characters are constantly looking over their shoulders treating anyone they cross with caution the only people they can really trust is each other and it feels like the whole state of Texas is part of the Satanic cult. Up until the last twenty minutes it has more of a psychological feel and the final act is where it's more action with the couples forced to defend themselves when the threat turns from just warnings to full blown attempts on their lives. I loved the ending fantastic.

My favourite scene was in the bar where the band is just starting to play a slow love song and a bar fight break out and straight away the band abandon the ballad and kick straight into some good ole fashioned country fighting music HELL YEAHHHH!!! Sorry got a little excited there but i love when that happens in those types of scenes :lol:

Race With The Devil gets a

8/10

Justin101 2nd March 2017 08:17 PM

Holy shit... I just got back from watching Logan and I'm blown away. Let's face it, X-Men has been shit for years and we wont talk about the Wolverine movies but... Seriously, as Ant said earlier - this film is spot on. It's adult, not cheesy, well acted, good story, good colourful script - it's worth going just to hear Patrick Stewart saying F*** :lol: and the violence... the special effects are great.

:scared:

Nordicdusk 2nd March 2017 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 187782

1965 Los Angeles and a struggling widowed mother and her two daughters run a séance scam business trying to pay the bills. While at a friends one of the daughters messes around with a Ouija board she convinces her mother to try it out at their next scam session to freshen things up a bit. Its not too long before this new prop becomes the real deal.

I started watching this with rock bottom expectations and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was i was expecting bad acting bad cgi and constant cheap jump scares but instead it kept it simple and creepy. The spirit/demon was kept out of sight which just ramped up the tension but the last 20 minutes just fell into the modern ghost story trap where we see too much and all suspense is thrown out the window it's a real shame because like i said i was really enjoying it up until that point. It didnt totally ruin the film but it did take away from it.

Apparently this is a prequel to the 2014 film Ouija which i have never seen and i don't think i will ever have the desire to do so anytime soon.

Ouija Origins Of Evil gets a

5/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd March 2017 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Lady From Shanghai (1948)

Orson Welles writes, directs and stars in this murky noirish tale about an out of work seaman who becomes infatuated with a famed lawyers wife and joins them on a bizarre yachting cruise, before ending up being charged with murder in a complex plot of distortion.

Welles once again show what a fine director he is, Welles makes strange faux-pars by getting leading lady Rita Hayworth to cut her flowing red hair and dye it blonde, whilst giving himself a frankly weird Irish accent.

None the less, this is still a magnificent film with an almost Hitchcockian second half, where Everett Sloane proves himself a better actor than he did in Citizen Kane as Hayworth's disabled husband and Hayworth shimmers with effervescent sex appeal especially in her swimsuit. The early yachting scenes certainly seemed odd and sleazy enough to have influenced the Italians in the late 60's early 70's in films like Waves of Lust (1975) and Top Sensation (1969) with mind games aplenty. Whilst the finale at the carnival hall of mirrors is superbly executed, quite rightly famed and amazingly influential.

Highly recommended.

bleakshaun 3rd March 2017 11:24 AM

just watched puppet master 3 toulon's revenge.
prequel to the 1st 2 films this one focuses on toulon being noticed by the nazis due to him animating puppets to life without the use of strings. The nazis fo to his theatre and end up killing his wife. so toulon decides to go for revenge.
great little film, but it seemed to me that it felt as though it was rather rushed, especially considering that you only see the origination of 2 of the puppets. apart from that gripe it was an enjoyable movie, the puppets stole the show.
6/10 not my favourite in the series but still a great flick

Frankie Teardrop 3rd March 2017 11:32 AM

BEYOND THE DARKNESS – Venerable Italian hack Joe D'Amato probably only made three or four good movies, maybe fewer if you insist on discounting 'Anthropophagous'. Out of that vanishingly rare bunch, this one is perhaps his 'masterpiece'. 'Beyond the Darkness' is gutter-lurking slime in celluloid form, but it's effective, and still manages to get under the skin after all these years. For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure, it's about a grief stricken taxidermist who can't handle the (black magic related?) death of his beloved fiance, so he runs off with her corpse and prepares the slab back at his mansion. He also finds time for a bit of pseudo-incest with his housekeeper and some slashing of young women. 'Beyond The Darkness' has the dumb, trashy quality of much bargain basement Italo rip-off cinema of its era, but somehow manages to attain quite a grim, sordid atmosphere, leaving any cheap laughs (like perhaps those at the expense of its awful small town nightclub scene) ringing pretty hollow in the end. The twisted, obsessive elements are really out in front – when lover boy does his DIY autopsy on his dearly departed, he bites deep into her engorged heart. Even more indelible are scenes like the one where taxidermy guy, whimpering, sucks the breast of his gaunt looking maid. 'Beyond The Darkness's universe is narrow, bleak and squalid, inhabited by completely unlikeable characters who are pathetic at the same time as they're hideous. Thinking about it now, although I mentioned it shares a lot with B movies made in Italy at the time, there really isn't a lot to compare it to. It doesn't exactly feel personal, but it's certainly unique. Foetid and vile without being particularly explicit, 'Beyond the Darkness' gets a full-on recommendation from me.

ABSURD – Another good JD'A flick, 'Absurd' is basically 'Anthropophagous part 2'. A lot of people seem to dislike the first 'Anthro...'. I can sort of see why, it's a pretty dumb flick and could potentially come across as quite dull, being one of the ultimate 'characters wandering around in the dark' type affairs. For some reason its atmosphere just clicks with me though, and I'm not ashamed to say that it's definitely somewhere in my Euro-grot top ten. 'Absurd' is a very different kind of movie. D'Amato seems to have been going for a more 'American' feel, and tries to import the basic elements of the original into a small-town slasher type framework. He also tightens up the pace and ladles on the gore. It works. E Purdom is some kind of vicar-assassin who's been charged with tracking down lumbering killer George Eastman in a trans-continental manhunt that's ended in Nowheresville USA. Eastman is apparently the outcome of some weird experiment, maybe involving the Vatican, which has resulted in him gaining superhuman powers of regeneration. He goes on a killing spree and ends up the house of a little girl with knackered legs. 'Absurd' is pretty great. Early European attempts to turn the screw and do imitation slashers rather than Gialli are always fun and slightly (or very) weird – see the likes of 'Bloody Moon' et al. 'Absurd' can be viewed along these lines. Effort has been made to make it fit with a 'Halloween'-ish template, but it's steeped in that far stranger, Euro-atmosphere. The soundtrack has a lot to do with 'Abusrd's basic 'feel', being a classic Italo-prog nightmare which seems perpetually on the brink of a cathedral orgasm. There are silly bits such as the scene where Purdom reveals his dog collar and the local detective blurts “turns out you're a priest!”, but 'Absurd' also makes room for the sheer dreaminess of the sequence where the little girl with knackered legs crawls and cowers whilst a blind George Eastman flails around after her in a house full of booming Messiaen-type organ music. And who could top the climax, where the girl decaps the beast and proudly brandishes Eastman's blood spattered mug? See it if you haven't already.

Cinematic Shocks 3rd March 2017 05:31 PM

Moonlight (2016)

**** out of *****

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd March 2017 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Saw LOGAN this afternoon. This is the movie Wolverine (and the fans) deserved. Bloody, violent, moving and sad. The fight scenes are brutal. The momet in the red band trailer where Logan put his claws though a bad guys chin and up through the top of his head is actually one of the tamest things in the whole film. Jackman & Stewart have never been better, especially Stewart as a 90 year old Charles Xavier suffering from dementia and now classed as a WMD due to being unable to control his powers without daily injections. And Dafne Keen as X-23/Laura, even with saying nothing for 3/4 of the film, is a star in the making.

Attachment 187841

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd March 2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 523537)
Saw LOGAN this afternoon. This is the movie Wolverine (and the fans) deserved. Bloody, violent, moving and sad. The fight scenes are brutal. The momet in the red band trailer where Logan put his claws though a bad guys chin and up through the top of his head is actually one of the tamest things in the whole film. Jackman & Stewart have never been better, especially Stewart as a 90 year old Charles Xavier suffering from dementia and now classed as a WMD due to being unable to control his powers without daily injections. And Dafne Keen as X-23/Laura, even with saying nothing for 3/4 of the film, is a star in the making.

Attachment 187841

I enjoyed the second film a lot, but this from the trailer and your response (as well as what others have said too) sounds absolutely fantastic.

What a shame they get it right for the third and final film. Should have been like this all along.

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd March 2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 523538)
I enjoyed the second film a lot, but this from the trailer and your response (as well as what others have said too) sounds absolutely fantastic.

What a shame they get it right for the third and final film. Should have been like this all along.

Yeah, I actually like The Wolverine as well. I know this one has had a pretty good opening couple of days in the States, but there were only 6 people (including myself and my cousin) in the cinema this afternoon. I'm hoping that was only because it was a Friday afternoon, and most people were still at work. Be a shame if this wasn't a big hit over here, because it's one of the best comic book/superhero movies ever (in my humble opinion), and certainly the best X-Men or Wolverine movie.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd March 2017 08:37 PM

Dogging work to go to the pictures......:nono:

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd March 2017 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 523548)

Haha, I only work 4 days a week. [emoji39]

Deadite 3rd March 2017 09:16 PM

Quote:

Freudian slip? :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd March 2017 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 523545)
Yeah, I actually like The Wolverine as well. I know this one has had a pretty good opening couple of days in the States, but there were only 6 people (including myself and my cousin) in the cinema this afternoon. I'm hoping that was only because it was a Friday afternoon, and most people were still at work. Be a shame if this wasn't a big hit over here, because it's one of the best comic book/superhero movies ever (in my humble opinion), and certainly the best X-Men or Wolverine movie.

To me Hugh Jackman became a bona fide star and is worth watching in any film, be it rom com Kate and Leopold, historical fair such as Australia or general popcorn films like Real Steel. It's a shame that Logan is his final X-Men film as he's the best thing about them and always has been.

Deadite 3rd March 2017 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 523557)
To me Hugh Jackman became a bona fide star and is worth watching in any film, be it rom com Kate and Leopold, historical fair such as Australia or general popcorn films like Real Steel. It's a shame that Logan is his final X-Men film as he's the best thing about them and always has been.

He's been in the role too long. When you've got yucky Sly Stallone veins bulging out all over the place it's time to hang up the claws.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd March 2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 523558)
He's been in the role too long. When you've got yucky Sly Stallone veins bulging out all over the place it's time to hang up the claws.

Isn't that because he's playing a Logan who's a lot older?

Besides, i didn't take you for wanting pretty young actors on screen i thought you were a serious movie punter.

Deadite 3rd March 2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 523560)
Isn't that because he's playing a Logan who's a lot older?

Besides, i didn't take you for wanting pretty young actors on screen all the time.

He was too old in the last film old chap.

In a pun worthy of your paying me money, no, i don't want actors fresh from Logan's Run on screen all the time but for the sake of the health of the actors, i always cringe when i see spaggetti veins. :lol:

Edit: But then i see by your edit you want a fight. Over and out.

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd March 2017 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 523561)
He was too old in the last film old chap.

In a pun worthy of your paying me money, no, i don't want actors fresh from Logan's Run on screen all the time but for the sake of the health of the actors, i always cringe when i see spaggetti veins. :lol:

To me, Jackman IS Wolverine. I wouldn't want to see anyone else in the role. Same way I haven't watched Mad Max: Fury Road. Hardy will never be Max Rockatansky to me (I know i'm in the minority here).

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd March 2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 523562)
To me, Jackman IS Wolverine. I wouldn't want to see anyone else in the role. Same way I haven't watched Mad Max: Fury Road. Hardy will never be Max Rockatansky to me (I know i'm in the minority here).

No you aren't. I thought it was dreadful.

Deadite 3rd March 2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 523562)

A perfectly fine opinion to have.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd March 2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 523550)
Freudian slip? :lol:

Nope....'dogging' in Scotland meant dodging long before people began 'woofing' in public places and carparks!

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd March 2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 523565)
A perfectly fine opinion to have.

Hows your back doing, Deadite?

I won't mention it every day, but seeing as you spoke about it yesterday i thought i'd ask.

gag 3rd March 2017 10:42 PM

Quote:

I misread that , thought u said you was dogging at work :whip: where my glasses when you need them

bleakshaun 4th March 2017 11:02 AM

watched yakuza apocalypse. the action-horror hybrid from takashi miike.
the basic plot is this. yakuza boss kamiura is a vampire, his most loyal member kageyama, watches the boss die from mysterious assassins and takes his place as a vampire. vowing revenge kageyama then decides to take on the rest of the gang and find the men who killed his boss. the plot is just hilarious but what it likes in a good story it makes up with great action and a memorable badass in a frog costume. what rather dampens it is the ending, which is so sequel-bait.
7/10 only for the absurdity of the film

Make Them Die Slowly 4th March 2017 04:45 PM

Vampyre (1990)

Regional weirdness that makes little sense in a village plagued by vampires and witches. Excellent stuff for fans of dumbarse sliding into surreal art and back again. I spent most of the film trying to figure out when it was set...some people are dressed as medieval peasants, the women all have a Stevie Nicks vibe, there is a mishmash of trench and overcoats for the men and of course, big silky knickers and cape for the Queen vampire as she rides around with her breasts out on horse back. Oh yeah, the hero is wearing a modern suit complete with tie grip. Filmed over several weekends and then some as the distributors wanted added nudity, extra scenes had to be filmed, this has the stink of Andy Milligan minus the excessive dialogue all over it. It looks and feels like it was made in the early 70s and benefits because of this. Odd and not for everyone.

Man in Heels

Excellent Korean film about a hard as nails cop who wants to quit the police force and have a sex change. This is very impressive as it mixes bloody martial arts scenes with flashbacks to the hero's first gay love at school and the unfolding of the hero's mental state and loyalties as he battles gangsters and his own tortured psyche. Worth a look.

Kickboxing Vengeance.

Basically a remake of the first film but with JCVD in the role of teacher. It tries and mostly succeeds at capturing the spirit and feel of the first film but also includes fight scenes that are more modern in style too. 3 quid in Asda at the moment.

sjconstable 4th March 2017 07:33 PM

Logan (2017) - 4/5

How that wasn't rated an 18 is beyond me haha.

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th March 2017 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 523636)
Logan (2017) - 4/5

How that wasn't rated an 18 is beyond me haha.

Yeah, someone saw it before it had been classified and said they could well imagine the discussions going on at the BBFC about whether it could scrape by with a 15.

bleakshaun 4th March 2017 09:34 PM

watched the mist before work
the plot centres around agroup of people trapped in a supermarket while a mist envelops he town. at first there is no explanation as to whether this is the end of days or what and many of the folks turn to god and a crazy nutjob for guidance. a well written movie and it has a very cruel ending. cgi is dated, but despite these little gripes. still is a brilliant horror movie.

Frankenhooker 4th March 2017 10:41 PM

The black and white version of The Mist masks some of the shoddy CGI, it's the version I normally opt for now.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th March 2017 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A Study in Terror (1965)

Fascinating Sherlock Holmes film where the great detective and faithful friend Dr. Watson get involved in the Jack the Ripper case.

I can imagine this infuriating both Holmes and Ripper purists as Sherlock not only solves the case but in it being something he was never originally involved in.

John Neville makes for a rather fine Sherlock Holmes and it's a pity this was his one and only performance but Donald Houston's Watson gets lost in a role that is only sporadically well written. On the whole the casting is good in this Tony Tenser production. Frank Finlay is memorable as Inspector Lestrade (Wonder where Abberline is?) and Robert Morley plays Mycroft like only Morley can.

Playing out as much a Gothic horror as it is a Holmes story, the film features some gruesome murders for 1965 and thankfully dispatches the typically whiny, one dimensional Barbara Windsor, quite quickly at the hands of the ripper.

Pacy and involving, i rather enjoyed A Study in Terror.

J Harker 4th March 2017 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 523654)
The black and white version of The Mist masks some of the shoddy CGI, it's the version I normally opt for now.

I keep forgetting about the B&W version. I think it's Frank Darabonts preference isn't it?