Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th March 2017 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 523655)
(Wonder where Abberline is?)

In a monkey suit chained up in someone's basement no doubt. :nod:

Susan Foreman 5th March 2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 523654)
The black and white version of The Mist masks some of the shoddy CGI, it's the version I normally opt for now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 523656)
I keep forgetting about the B&W version. I think it's Frank Darabonts preference isn't it?

Yes

He states as much in the introduction to the BW version. To him, it feels more like a 'proper' creature feature from the 60's

Apparently Stephen King envisioned it as a BW film when he wrote it as well

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th March 2017 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Petrified (2006)

An alien mummy begins a killing spree at a secluded clinic for the treatment of nymphomania.

With pure exploitation credentials like this you'd think even Charles Band could make a decent fist of it. Unfortunately he can't. The mummy kills by turning people into stone with badly pixelated computer effect lasers from it's eyes and the girls actually put clothes on to have sex. Petrified is a lame excuse for a film and it's slender 62 minute run time feels like hours.

Awful.

Dave Boy 5th March 2017 03:36 PM

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/0c...2064b18de6.jpg
FLASH GORDON (1936)
13 PART SERIAL

Pretty awesome first screen adventure for Flash Gordon.
Thirteen very full cliff-hanger episodes. It's all here, Hawkmen, Rocketships, Fire Monsters, Shark Men etc..
Universal also use a lot of sets and music cues from some of their horror films.
Poor old Flash is pulled this way and that between Dale Arden and Princess Aura. Me, I have a soft spot for Aura (Priscilla Lawson) Lol !

In 1996, Flash Gordon was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". :cool:

Recommended.

keirarts 5th March 2017 10:35 PM

Logan

It's the near future and the world is somewhat messed up. No new mutants have been born for 25 years and America is slipping under the control of corporations. Logan, no longer Wolverine is a washed up bum slowly being killed by the adamantium on his bones. He's working as a Limo driver to support a decrepit Charles Xavier, now suffering from a degenerative neurological disease that makes him a danger to all those around him. One day a young mutant with powers similar to Logan's arrives and he must take her on a road trip to the Canadian border with Xavier in order to find a mysterious mutant safe haven.
Logan is possibly the best of the X-men film by a long way. Even if you don't like superhero films it plays more like a western road movie with the ultra violence of something like lone wolf and cub. Its a film that does not require having seen the previous X-men films or even liking them. Instead its possibly the closest thing the character will have to a Dark Knight returns moment. The acting is superb. Its a shame its a 'genre' film as the academy will most likely ignore it, but both Jackman and Stewart give amazing performances. It almost feels like someone took the superhero movie and decided to see whats the darkest most high quality material we can deliver. I hope Zach Snyder sees it as he might learn what a mature movie actually is. Genuinely great, go see it.

Demoncrat 6th March 2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 523446)
BEYOND THE DARKNESS – Venerable Italian hack Joe D'Amato probably only made three or four good movies, maybe fewer if you insist on discounting 'Anthropophagous'. Out of that vanishingly rare bunch, this one is perhaps his 'masterpiece'. 'Beyond the Darkness' is gutter-lurking slime in celluloid form, but it's effective, and still manages to get under the skin after all these years. For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure, it's about a grief stricken taxidermist who can't handle the (black magic related?) death of his beloved fiance, so he runs off with her corpse and prepares the slab back at his mansion. He also finds time for a bit of pseudo-incest with his housekeeper and some slashing of young women. 'Beyond The Darkness' has the dumb, trashy quality of much bargain basement Italo rip-off cinema of its era, but somehow manages to attain quite a grim, sordid atmosphere, leaving any cheap laughs (like perhaps those at the expense of its awful small town nightclub scene) ringing pretty hollow in the end. The twisted, obsessive elements are really out in front – when lover boy does his DIY autopsy on his dearly departed, he bites deep into her engorged heart. Even more indelible are scenes like the one where taxidermy guy, whimpering, sucks the breast of his gaunt looking maid. 'Beyond The Darkness's universe is narrow, bleak and squalid, inhabited by completely unlikeable characters who are pathetic at the same time as they're hideous. Thinking about it now, although I mentioned it shares a lot with B movies made in Italy at the time, there really isn't a lot to compare it to. It doesn't exactly feel personal, but it's certainly unique. Foetid and vile without being particularly explicit, 'Beyond the Darkness' gets a full-on recommendation from me.

ABSURD – Another good JD'A flick, 'Absurd' is basically 'Anthropophagous part 2'. A lot of people seem to dislike the first 'Anthro...'. I can sort of see why, it's a pretty dumb flick and could potentially come across as quite dull, being one of the ultimate 'characters wandering around in the dark' type affairs. For some reason its atmosphere just clicks with me though, and I'm not ashamed to say that it's definitely somewhere in my Euro-grot top ten. 'Absurd' is a very different kind of movie. D'Amato seems to have been going for a more 'American' feel, and tries to import the basic elements of the original into a small-town slasher type framework. He also tightens up the pace and ladles on the gore. It works. E Purdom is some kind of vicar-assassin who's been charged with tracking down lumbering killer George Eastman in a trans-continental manhunt that's ended in Nowheresville USA. Eastman is apparently the outcome of some weird experiment, maybe involving the Vatican, which has resulted in him gaining superhuman powers of regeneration. He goes on a killing spree and ends up the house of a little girl with knackered legs. 'Absurd' is pretty great. Early European attempts to turn the screw and do imitation slashers rather than Gialli are always fun and slightly (or very) weird – see the likes of 'Bloody Moon' et al. 'Absurd' can be viewed along these lines. Effort has been made to make it fit with a 'Halloween'-ish template, but it's steeped in that far stranger, Euro-atmosphere. The soundtrack has a lot to do with 'Abusrd's basic 'feel', being a classic Italo-prog nightmare which seems perpetually on the brink of a cathedral orgasm. There are silly bits such as the scene where Purdom reveals his dog collar and the local detective blurts “turns out you're a priest!”, but 'Absurd' also makes room for the sheer dreaminess of the sequence where the little girl with knackered legs crawls and cowers whilst a blind George Eastman flails around after her in a house full of booming Messiaen-type organ music. And who could top the climax, where the girl decaps the beast and proudly brandishes Eastman's blood spattered mug? See it if you haven't already.

Sterling stuff as always F!! Hopefully these will convince a few fence sitters regarding these "classics" :rolleyes:. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th March 2017 09:36 PM

Logan has taken $244m worldwide in it's first weekend.

The studio will be demanding another soon enough.

No spoilers to contradict this post please. :thankingyou:

Justin101 6th March 2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 523837)

I think if anything it shows that adults want to see films designed for adults and not this crappy 12A or PG-13 stuff we've been getting for the past 5 years. I'm still surprised that this wasn't an 18 cert.

gag 6th March 2017 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 523837)

Just not my scene really tbh not into x men wolverine and all that type of stuff .

gag 6th March 2017 10:10 PM

Someone name me a really good film from last year, preferably not a big blockbuster film.
Or any decent film before year 2000 and one of them I'll watch in a few min when I go to bed .

Frankenhooker 6th March 2017 10:15 PM

My two favorites from last year were Nocturnal Animals and Hell Or High Water, I'm not sure they're the best recs to watch in bed though, the pace of both can be described as slow.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th March 2017 10:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

Theres a scene in X-Men: Apocalypse where a group of characters roll out of a screening of Return of the Jedi and Jean Grey comments that the third film is always the worst.

Well she ain't wrong. Especially in the case of this third film in the re-jigged X-Men universe.

The first hour is a complete mess. Introducing so many characters yet giving them nothing to do, i was pulling my hair out trying to recall the last film as to who they all were. It seemed so far up it's own mythological arse it came over as impenetrable to any none enthusiastic fan viewing it. Zipping from scene to scene yet never really going anywhere. In fact as much as i hate to say it, Jennifer Lawrence as Raven / Mystique, was easily the best thing about the first half of the film so badly drawn were her fellow X'ers.

It's also rather repetitive with yet another cage fighting sequence and once more Professor Xavier declaring to anyone who hasn't fallen asleep that Magneto must have some good in him. How many humans and mutants has Magneto murdered? Must be off the scale by now. This is before we get to the finale where whole cities are vaporized in a blur of CGI dust and no one bats an eyelid at the loss of life. Ben Affleck's Batman must be apoplectic with it all.

The big bad villain, no idea who he was, some blue dude left over from Stargate SG-1 left no impression whatsoever until the climax, which i will say became interesting to the point of borderline tension but all in all X-Men: Apocalypse isn't a film i'll be rushing back to which saddens me in a way as it's predecessors First Class (2011) and Days of Future Past (2014) were definitely superior superhero fayre.

keirarts 7th March 2017 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 523844)

Theres a scene in X-Men: Apocalypse where a group of characters roll out of a screening of Return of the Jedi and Jean Grey comments that the third film is always the worst.

Well she ain't wrong. Especially in the case of this third film in the re-jigged X-Men universe.

The first hour is a complete mess. Introducing so many characters yet giving them nothing to do, i was pulling my hair out trying to recall the last film as to who they all were. It seemed so far up it's own mythological arse it came over as impenetrable to any none enthusiastic fan viewing it. Zipping from scene to scene yet never really going anywhere. In fact as much as i hate to say it, Jennifer Lawrence as Raven / Mystique, was easily the best thing about the first half of the film so badly drawn were her fellow X'ers.

It's also rather repetitive with yet another cage fighting sequence and once more Professor Xavier declaring to anyone who hasn't fallen asleep that Magneto must have some good in him. How many humans and mutants has Magneto murdered? Must be off the scale by now. This is before we get to the finale where whole cities are vaporized in a blur of CGI dust and no one bats an eyelid at the loss of life. Ben Affleck's Batman must be apoplectic with it all.

The big bad villain, no idea who he was, some blue dude left over from Stargate SG-1 left no impression whatsoever until the climax, which i will say became interesting to the point of borderline tension but all in all X-Men: Apocalypse isn't a film i'll be rushing back to which saddens me in a way as it's predecessors First Class (2011) and Days of Future Past (2014) were definitely superior superhero fayre.

The main thing that struck me about X-men Apocalypse was that Bryan Singer cannot direct action. It came out the same year as Civil war which probably did Superheroics as well as I've seen on the big screen.

Go see Logan, its so much better than this shit.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th March 2017 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 523844)

I still need to see this one. It's been lurking on my Love Film rental list for a while. I wasn't a big fan of Days of Future Past, although at least it was better than X-Men III. ;) This one sounds worse than Days from your write-up, however I'm still curious to check it out at some point.

Despite not being a big superhero / comic book movie fan, I quite enjoy The X-Men series. Logan is a must for me when it gets released. :nod:

Rik 7th March 2017 07:33 AM

I liked all 3 of the new X-men films.....

Deadite 7th March 2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 523862)
I liked all 3 of the new X-men films.....

Of the six, i only really like the first 2.

Shame they never really did anything cool with Cyclops after the 1st movie - too much effects money probably!

J Harker 7th March 2017 08:10 AM

I like them all to varying degrees. Even The Last Stand. I think part 2 is probably my least favourite. The trailers for Apocalypse all looked pretty poor I thought combined with numerous less than favourable reviews. I'll give it a watch sooner or later but I'm not rushing. There's a million films I'd like to watch sooner.

SymbioticFunction 7th March 2017 11:46 AM

I really enjoyed Apocalypse, I appreciated the whole 'comic-book-y' atmosphere and visuals and thought that the Quicksilver slow-mo and unexpected Wolverine/Weapon X sequences were really cool. It's had quite a negative response which is unfortunate considering that it's the X-Men film which probably most resembles the source material. btw There is some really serious subwoofer action on the blu-ray's 7.1 sound (the most I've ever experienced in a film thus far), was genuinely concerned that my neighbours might complain. :)

Watched: Doctor Strange (2016).

Thought that it was yet again, another solid film from Marvel Studios. I'm not raving about it but I did enjoy myself quite a bit. Was pleased to note only three references to the Marvel Universe (the Thor appearance in one of the two after credit sequences obviously being the major one). Call me crazy but I far prefer it when solo films are standalone and team-up features are done in Avengers films only. The film had a lot of enjoyable trippy cgi visuals and is probably very enjoyable in 3D (I watched it in 2D). Film score - a rating of 3.5/5 only but could happily watch again.

Make Them Die Slowly 7th March 2017 12:06 PM

Cemetery of Terror

Mexican rip off of Halloween that goes completely bonkers at the end and turns into a zombie film. SPOILER. It has the best Mcguffin ever by killing off all the main character two thirds of the way through and leaving a gang of children from a sub plot to battle the zombies who look like rejects from Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things. Worth a look.

You Are What You Eat.

Semi documentary with loads of staged "happenings" showing a street level view of hippies in San Francisco in the arse end of the 60s. Great stuff in a ramshackle way as there is no narrative structure to the film but a whole lot of wigged out dancing as a linking theme. There is some great footage of bikers, custom cars and Tiny Tim in the mix as well. You will need bath are spending time with this motley collection of soap dodging freaks. Recommended for subculture whores like myself.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th March 2017 07:39 PM

Been on a sci-fi binge recently.

THEM!
Highly entertaining b&w sci-fi/monster mash which looks great in hd.
Amazing to see 'Brooks' from the Shawshank Redemption as a pup!

LOGAN'S RUN
The modelwork is looking a bit dated now,but York and Agutter carry the film through to a satisfying end.Again,looks fantastic on BD.

THX 1138
There's something fascinating about Lucas's other sci-fi gem.
Clinical,sombre and filled with brooding menace,this is one of the best takes on a state run future.That end-shot is still stunning and those cop-robots will always give me the creeps.

SOYLENT GREEN
Not as entertaining as Heston's other future outing,The Omega Man,this is probably more akin to the present world climate.
The scene where Edward G Robinson gives himself to the Soylent Corp. is still one of the most moving and powerful sequences ever in a sci-fi film.

WESTWORLD
Classic.Classic.CLassic.
Brynner has never been more menacing than his turn as the unstoppable gunslinger at the amusement park from hell.
It's influence on other future films can never be underestimated.

IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE
Would've been better as a Twilight Zone segment and to be honest,I found this one quite difficult to sit through.

DR WHO AND THE DALEKS
Peter Cushing.Daleks.Roy Castle making an arse of himself.Some great alienfolk who obviously inspired Vadim's Barbarella Pygar character.
What's not to like?

DALEKS – INVASION EARTH: 2150 A.D.
Follow up to the above,I found this one FAR more entertaining,with Bernard Cribben and Andrew Keir giving much more superior support than the actors in the first outing.Looks better as much of it is shot on location,rather than a soundstage.

Nordicdusk 7th March 2017 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 187960

I dont usually watch Marvel films these days i only mention this because if you are in the same boat as me and are not bothered about this you should give it a chance but anyway this looked different so i thought it was worth a shot and i must say i loved it had a much darker tone lots of violence a story and characters you actually cared about far from the usual turn off your brain and watch the effect type film. Must admit to having a lump in my throat at one point.

8/10

Nordicdusk 7th March 2017 08:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 187965

Hacksaw Ridge tells the story of war hero Desmond Doss a man willing to sacrifice his own safety and to uphold his personal beliefs against violence. Desmond refusing to carry a gun into battle heads to Okinawa where he vows to save lives as a medic rather than take them. Whilst at the Battle of Okinawa Desmond saves 70+ men single handedly which is even more amazing for two reasons firstly because they were all behind enemy lines and secondly this is no hollywood script this is a true story.

Attachment 187966
The real Desmond Dos

Fantastic film about the strength of human spirit , determination ,conviction ,courage and sacrifice. The battle scenes are brutal and horrific but in no way is the violence glorified it shows that war is not goodies versus the baddies its the innocent butchering the innocent. Little interviews with the real life soldiers during the credits always gets me seeing this poor old men and women and the horrors they witnessed and have had to live with all their lives.

8/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th March 2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 523930)
Been on a sci-fi binge recently.

WESTWORLD
Classic.Classic.CLassic.
Brynner has never been more menacing than his turn as the unstoppable gunslinger at the amusement park from hell.
It's influence on other future films can never be underestimated.

I watched this again last night. It still shocks me when Brynner guns down James Brolin in the street. Firstly because it shouldn't have happened and secondly because Brolin seems more equipped to become last man standing against the machines than Richard Benjamin.

Cinematic Shocks 8th March 2017 11:31 AM

The Wrestler (2008)

I still think ‘Angel Heart’ (one of my top ten films of all genres) is still Mickey Rourke’s best film, but this comes mighty damn close. Truly great filmmaking.

****1/2 out of *****

Justin101 8th March 2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 523985)
The Wrestler (2008)

I still think ‘Angel Heart’ (one of my top ten films of all genres) is still Mickey Rourke’s best film, but this comes mighty damn close. Truly great filmmaking.

****1/2 out of *****

It's so good this film, and it really touched me. I'm pretty sure I cried quite a few times :lol:

Frankenhooker 8th March 2017 11:44 AM

And the role was tailor made for Rourke. He's just fantastic in it.

Dave Boy 8th March 2017 07:53 PM

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/88...8bd315e322.jpg

The Lego Batman movie is so much fun. So much on the screen to take in trying to spot everybody. Great to see the 'Super-Friends' party at the Hall of Justice. So many villains here that it is impossible to see them all in the background. Some of the dialogue from Batman to the Joker at the beginning of the film would not be out of place in a serious live action movie.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/a9...eb2a178e67.jpg

As others have pointed out. This is Wolverine for adults. No super hero stuff here and the X-Men are not even mentioned. Great action scenes and plenty of carnage as Logan and X-23 fight their way to the border.

Make Them Die Slowly 9th March 2017 09:18 PM

Train to Busan

Shit blows up!

Inspector Abberline 9th March 2017 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 524166)
Train to Busan

A shit dad learns the meaning of fatherhood on a train full of zombies. Big budget zombie mayhem that delivers in action and a surprisingly on an emotional level too. Easily the best zombie film in years. Recommended.

I preferred it when you just rated a film by how much shit blew up,none of this namby pamby recommend thumbs up crap........

Make Them Die Slowly 9th March 2017 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 524167)
I preferred it when you just rated a film by how much shit blew up,none of this namby pamby recommend thumbs up crap........

I have corrected my original post...

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th March 2017 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ride the High Country (1962)

Western icons Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott as former lawmen assigned to transport an assignment of gold from a mountainous mining camp to the Californian town of Hornitos.

On their way they meet up with a young cowboy and a naive young woman who wishes to marry one of the miners.

Ride the High Country might just be Sam Peckinpah's best film, i'd certainly say it 's his best western. His use of Scott and McCrea feels like a last hurrah for both the actors and the genre. Indeed it was Randolph Scott's final film role as he retired soon after at the age of 64. As for the genre itself, well of course it would continue and is still arguably going strong although with a much slower output to this day, but Peckinpah's film certainly does feel like final love letter as the two western heroes take one last ride with some witty and at times sad sparring dialogue between the two.

As well as it's occasional feeling of melancholia the film also has a slightly disturbing edge to it when we get to the mining camp. It's clear that when young Mariette Hartley marries her beau she's going to become a ride for himself and his four brothers at their pleasure and whilst there is no on screen rape it's certainly implied it will happen and almost immediately following her wedding.

Luckily none of this occurs, how could it when you have Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea on your side and the final descent down the mountain with it's lush green scenery (a long way from John Ford's Monument Valley landscapes) is a western fans dream as Scott and McCrea make one final stand against the inbred miners in a set piece that would influence film makers especially Spaghetti western ones for years to come.

Ride the High Country is an excellent western and highly recommended.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th March 2017 10:34 PM

And for MTDS and the Inspector.

Ride the High Country (1962)

Shit doesn't blow up!

Several dudes get shot!

Make Them Die Slowly 9th March 2017 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dudes get shot, shit blows up!

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th March 2017 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 524182)
Dudes get shot, shit blows up!

Probably the perfect film!

Make Them Die Slowly 9th March 2017 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 524183)
Probably the perfect film!

Haha! It isn't too bad actually and it was good to see an action film set in the UK.

Train to Busan is really good though, the best mix of action and horror I have seen for a long time.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th March 2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 524185)
Haha! It isn't too bad actually and it was good to see an action film set in the UK.

Train to Busan is really good though, the best mix of action and horror I have seen for a long time.

I know what you mean about films set in the UK. They have a certain flair that i can't put my finger on. Even shite like London has Fallen and that dodgy Pierce Brosnan / Mila Jovovich action thriller from a couple of years ago seem to possess a certain something that they wouldn't have done set in New York or Chicago.

Frankie Teardrop 10th March 2017 10:56 AM

HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN – Fun movie starring Rutger Hauer as a homeless dude with a trench coat and a shotgun. This time he's a good guy of sorts, trying to get by in a slimy, derelict cityscape run by corrupt cops and gangsters. He tangles with the wrong side of the mob and ends up having to blast his way to freedom. Made at the height of all that neo-grindhouse hokum, HWAS doesn't take itself seriously and just packs as much violence and craziness into its run time as it can, although the lack of anything to hold on to apart from Hauer doing the same thing again and again means it threatens to get a bit tiresome towards the end. Still, there are some really great, obnoxious highlights such as a school bus torching, and the film itself generally looks great, a homage to eighties neon garishness. Good stuff, worth checking out. I think Hauer is a great actor, and no-one is more suited to doing the whole long coat / shotgun avenger type thing than him, but here his presence feels a bit faint for some reason.

THE DARK BACKWARD – A failing comic finds that the growth on his back has transformed into a third arm. Spurred on by his friend, a maniacal garbage man, he tries for the big time by rebranding himself as a novelty act and, well, doesn't really make it. 'The Dark Backward' is a pretty fried movie. I'm surprised I've only just seen it for the first time, as it's fairly well known still and I do tend to seek these things out. Part of the strangeness in this instance lies in seeing the likes of Judd Nelson and James Caan in such warped surrounds, and in fact the whole enterprise, despite being obviously deliberate in it's attempt to seem 'out-there', certainly came from the mainstream at least in terms of production values – we're not talking about a microbudget underground flick here. Aesthetically, the film pitches itself somewhere between a David Lynch nightmare and a Terry Gilliam dystopia – those references aren't arbitrary, there are very clear nods to both directors, particularly Lynch when you think about the incessant Splet style soundtrack and the obsession with freaks and communication dysfunction. Somehow though, 'The Dark Backward' taps into its own vibe. Perhaps that's because, beneath the weirdness, there's kind of an old fashioned morality play thing going on with it, something about staying true to who you actually are when pursuing whatever dreams of creative fame. That said, most viewers will likely tune in more for scenes such as the one where Bill Paxton (RIP, Bill) licks a corpse in a landfill site, or that bit in the talent scout's office where a Viking lady plays a 'human xylophone' made up of dwarves. I liked 'The Dark Backward', and recommend you check it out. Parts of it really stayed with me – seeing Nelson do a slow, shuffling pirouette on stage after his lead balloon one liners just to show his third arm to the audience was quite unnerving, high pathos and low freakiness in one soiled combo.

BRIDE OF REANIMATOR – I watched this for the first time in years the other day – can't remember what I made of it 'back then', although I suspect I felt a bit underwhelmed as I never thought 'Re-animator' was total dynamite anyway. Seeing it now, well... it has some good things going for it, number one of these being Herbert West himself, J Combes. I mean, I can watch him any day of the week really, and no-one does arch-dweeb narcissist (homicidal variant) like him. Needless to say, he's in his element here. David Gale is great in it, too. There's a craziness to the proceedings that works well in places, although there's not enough of it. The climax, with all that mad mutant shit happening in West's basement, was enough to leave me feeling disappointed that Yuzna et al hadn't gone for the jugular throughout, despite the presence of a few conspicuous Screaming Mad Georgisms. But the problem with it for me was that it just didn't flow. Maybe it was the editing or something to do with the dynamics, or perhaps it was just my mood on the day, but I never really hooked in. Oh well, ask me in another twenty years and maybe I'll say something a bit different.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th March 2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 524208)

BRIDE OF REANIMATOR – I watched this for the first time in years the other day – can't remember what I made of it 'back then', although I suspect I felt a bit underwhelmed as I never thought 'Re-animator' was total dynamite anyway. Seeing it now, well... it has some good things going for it, number one of these being Herbert West himself, J Combes. I mean, I can watch him any day of the week really, and no-one does arch-dweeb narcissist (homicidal variant) like him. Needless to say, he's in his element here. David Gale is great in it, too. There's a craziness to the proceedings that works well in places, although there's not enough of it. The climax, with all that mad mutant shit happening in West's basement, was enough to leave me feeling disappointed that Yuzna et al hadn't gone for the jugular throughout, despite the presence of a few conspicuous Screaming Mad Georgisms. But the problem with it for me was that it just didn't flow. Maybe it was the editing or something to do with the dynamics, or perhaps it was just my mood on the day, but I never really hooked in. Oh well, ask me in another twenty years and maybe I'll say something a bit different.

I totally agree with you, Frankie.

I don't rate Bride of Reanimator at all. In fact i don't even own it any longer. It doesn't flow at all. I am also underwhelmed by the first film too. I think it's a mid 80's comedy horror thing which doesn't seem to be my bag at all. House, Return of the Living Dead, i find them all over rated.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th March 2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 524208)
arch-dweeb narcissist (homicidal variant)

Is that going to be in the new DSM? ;)

Excellent reviews. I don't think I have watched the Arrow Video release of Bride of Re-Animator yet, so that might be tonight viewing. The Dark Backward sounds fascinating, so that will be another to check out, whether it's available to stream or to put on my Lovefilm list for when I resume my membership.

Dave Boy 10th March 2017 11:24 AM

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/18...015d9fb205.jpg
PRIVATE BENJAMIN (1980)

Spoiled rich girl Judy Benjamin finds herself a widow on her wedding night.
After a radio talk show, Judy gets tricked in to going to an Army recruitment office..

I pulled this out of my archives as I had not seen this in a long while. I so much enjoyed it.
Goldie is great, as is Eileen Brennan as Captain Lewis.
Good fun scenes as Judy takes basic training against her wishes and some nice touches as she realises that life in the Army is better than her life outside.