Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2011, 04:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Saw Ganja & Hess yesterday. Amazing film...
Old 26th September 2011, 04:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just seen run bitch run it was ok but nowt special ending was a bit off a let down and fell a bit flat...
Old 26th September 2011, 04:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Sleepless
Went in with my expectations appropriately lowered, but even then I didn’t think much of it. Thought Max von Sydow sleepwalked through his performance, seemed very apparent to me that he didn’t have much faith in the material! A very sub standard and clumsily paced plot, with a boring protagonist to boot. It’s a shame, as the opening sequence on the train I thought was very strong. Unfortunately, the film failed to live up to it, and felt very Giallo-by-numbers.

The Fifth Cord
Great film! I really enjoyed this, and probably the best looking Giallo I’ve seen so far - Vittorio Storaro’s cinematography is pretty incredible! Some beautifully composed shots, with strong, angular lines slicing through the frame, achieving an impressive modern look that has dated really well. The style is perfectly complimented by Bazzoni’s unfussy direction, staging some very effective set pieces. As always, it wasn’t the strongest of plots, and to be honest I kept losing track from marvelling at the visuals! I had trouble keeping up with the array of suspect/victims and how they related to one another – I imagine this would improve on a second viewing. The strong central performance by Franco Nero held my interest where the plot was lacking, I’ll be definitely checking out more of his work. Same goes for Bazzoni, though from the imdb it doesn’t look like he was the most prolific of directors. Sure to be among my favourite Gialli once I’ve got through enough of them to make a list!
bdc, platostotal and Phurious like this.
Old 26th September 2011, 05:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
The Fifth Cord
I had trouble keeping up with the array of suspect/victims and how they related to one another – I imagine this would improve on a second viewing.
I needed several viewings to fully appreciate this one myself.
Old 26th September 2011, 05:59 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

same here for FIFTH CORD, but SLEEPLESS is an excellent film
Old 26th September 2011, 07:32 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Have you seen Timecrimes? A similar kind of deal. I got a lot less out of it on second viewing when it all kind of fell apart . . .
I adore Timecrimes, an awesome film everyone on these boards should own. As for Triangle, while not a masterpiece, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm glad it's a part of my BD collection!

"The monster was the best friend I ever had" - Boris Karloff.
Old 26th September 2011, 07:42 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture Vulture View Post
I adore Timecrimes, an awesome film everyone on these boards should own. As for Triangle, while not a masterpiece, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm glad it's a part of my BD collection!
totally agree with you, i was blown away by Timecrimes, As for Triangle, i thought it was a great attempt at a groundhog day-esq thriller, and Melissa George gives a brilliant performance....
Culture Vulture likes this.
Old 26th September 2011, 08:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched Cirque Du Freak, Almost Human.
Old 26th September 2011, 08:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Watched Cirque Du Freak, Almost Human.
What was Cirque Du Freak like?
Old 26th September 2011, 09:10 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just finished a double bill of This Stuff'll Kill Ya! and The Year of the Yahoo!, which are both cheap movies, released by Something Weird Video. The quality is pretty bad, both of the DVD and other films, with The Year of the Yahoo! being the best of the two and I could only make out about two words in every 2 in every 3 because of the terrible sound quality in This Stuff'll Kill Ya!.

Like this? Share it using the links below!