Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Make Them Die Slowly 26th September 2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 184703)
I've just finished a double bill of This Stuff'll Kill Ya! and The Year of the Yahoo!, which are both cheap movies, released by Something Weird Video. The quality is pretty bad, both of the DVD and other films, with The Year of the Yahoo! being the best of the two and I could only make out about two words in every 2 in every 3 because of the terrible sound quality in This Stuff'll Kill Ya!.

Are they both H.G.Lewis films? That's a shame about the sound as they are on my list of things to buy in the near future.

Just finished watching "Thor", it's fantastic though a bit light on fighting. If you want relentless Thor hammer action try "Hulk vs Thor" the short animated film that is wall to wall hammer and green fist mayhem.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th September 2011 09:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple of films i watched over the weekend for the first time were -

Assault

A british gialli from the early seventies. Frank Finlay plays a detective trying to catch a serial rapist who has just upped the stakes to include murder. His victims are all school girls. Torso's Suzy Kendal plays a teacher who by chance sees the attacker in the act and helps the police try and catch him as the only witness.

I really enjoyed Assault It ranks as one of the best giallo's i have seen in the last couple of years.

Mindhunters.

A gripping gory thriller. Val kilmer sends a team of FBI recruits to a disused factory on an empty island, once there the recruits task is to solve the puzzles and track down a fake killer.

Once on the island the recruits realise they are not alone and there really is a murderer on the island with them, the problem is, is the killer one of their party.

A new take on FBI/ serial killer procedure movies, more of a horror than anything, with some nice twists and tense set pieces

pedromonkey 26th September 2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 184735)

Mindhunters.

A gripping gory thriller. Val kilmer sends a team of FBI recruits to a disused factory on an empty island, once there the recruits task is to solve the puzzles and track down a fake killer.

Once on the island the recruits realise they are not alone and there really is a murderer on the island with them, the problem is, is the killer one of their party.

A new take on FBI/ serial killer procedure movies, more of a horror than anything, with some nice twists and tense set pieces

i absolutely love Mindhunters, really clever premise and the some neat gory kills, like the cigarette and the puppet. Defo recommend this if no one has seen it. The best film Renny Harlin has made since the Awesomeness of Long Kiss Goodnight...

Pete 26th September 2011 11:45 PM

Just watched NAKED KILLER and it was brilliant, if a bit mental!

platostotal 27th September 2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 184775)
Just watched NAKED KILLER and it was brilliant, if a bit mental!

I kept getting the female characters mixed up:lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th September 2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 184729)
Are they both H.G.Lewis films? That's a shame about the sound as they are on my list of things to buy in the near future.

Yes, they're both directed by Herschell Gordon Lewis and the sound is really only a problem on This Stuff'll Kill Ya! and is much better on the other.

platostotal 27th September 2011 12:11 PM

Watched the classic A BETTER TOMORROW late last night, John Woo's great story(it's a remake of an older HK film) of crime and family in Hong Kong, the cast is superb and Chow Yun Fat as 'Mark' is so iconic it's almost scary 'two guns, long coat and dark glasses' almost a blueprint for every anti-hero that followed in HK action films, it was followed by two great sequels (no. 2 in particular), based more in reality than Woo's later films, here violence and crime lead to consequences. The Optimum dvd has a nice wash of grain giving it a cool retro look(it was released in 1986) making it a good change from all the 'smoothing' going on with DNR these days. It also includes a commentary track by Bey Logan, all for the price of £7, great.

mercury 27th September 2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 184697)
What was Cirque Du Freak like?

It was quite enjoyable. From the tv trailers, I thought it was a comedy. But myself didn't find the film funny. Nor too serious either. It does have a spookie atmosphere which I like and is about vampires. I would have liked the film to be a bit longer though, so I would welcome a sequel.

hope that made sense. I am awsome a watching films, but just pants at describing them:nod:

gag 27th September 2011 01:32 PM

Watched

Edmond im sitting on the fence on this 1 i wasnt to keen on it but at same time it wasnt a rubbish r awful film.....if that makes sense

The apartment with hilary swank...thought this was ok for a thriller

pedromonkey 27th September 2011 05:06 PM

watched a few films yesterday....

THE LOVELY BONES - this one was on Film4 last night, really couldn't get on with this, the drama didn't work when it turned into When Dreams May Come, Soarise Ronan was pretty damn good though, She was stand out in Hanna too. Love Peter Jackson but this film was way to style of substance for my liking.

GRANDMA'S BOY - Funny stoner comedy about games testers and weed. From Adam Sandler's HappyMadison production company. Has very funny turns from Doris Roberts (Everybody Loves Raymond) and Linda Cardilini (E.R).

PHENOMENA
- i think this maybe my favourite Argento flick so far. Jennifer Connoly is great as the girl who can control insects and is ably supported by the wonderful Donald Pleasance. Great soundtrack and it has a monkey with a razor blade...So far Bird With Crystal Plumage and Phenomena are up there as my faves with Suspiria coming a close third. Tenebre tonight..