Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Phurious 27th September 2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 185051)
Remains a gaping hole in my Refn viewing :doh: . . .

It's such a shoddy affair - don't know what I was expecting to be honest - Marple beheading a suspect perhaps :nod:

Phurious 27th September 2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 185052)
Well I got through half of it about a week ago, so should really go back and start again! I was enjoying it, though it wasn't quite the instant love I felt for Fifth Cord. Have you seen Bazzoni's Footprints ? That's definitely my next Shameless puchase . . .

Footprints is an absolutely fascinating watch, but don't go expecting The Fifth Cord, very different and the Shameless cut is a bit of a collage (subs and dubbing come & go) but I like that kind of thing anyway.

Yeh, give SNOTGD and let me know what you make of it. I just love the premise so much and there is some superb cinematography in that too.

Slippery Jack 27th September 2011 08:00 PM

Was there any evidence of his directorial style? I imagine ITV have a tight control over what they want for their sunday night audience :tsk:...

PaulD 27th September 2011 08:04 PM

Today I've watched:

All the Colours of the Dark - Edwige Fenech :love: Really enjoyed this, incredibly atmospheric and creepy and well-directed overall in general. Felt like the ending was a little bit too abrupt and more could have been explained, but being a giallo I'm more than happy to let logic go out of the window a little

Arachnid - hmmm. Not great really. There was no tension in this at all, the characters just ambled from one mildy-perilous situation to the next.

Slippery Jack 27th September 2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 185056)
Footprints is an absolutely fascinating watch, but don't go expecting The Fifth Cord, very different

Yeah, I got that from the trailer on the Shameless website - not an ounce of exploitation in sight!!! Did Shameless release a bloody ART FILM :tsk: . . .

Phurious 27th September 2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 185057)
Was there any evidence of his directorial style? I imagine ITV have a tight control over what they want for their sunday night audience :tsk:...

Nope. Just a hired hand by the sound of it. He talks about it briefly on the Bronson copmmentary or maybe the Valhalla Rising one? On of 'em anyway... I think...? :confused:

Phurious 27th September 2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 185060)
Yeah, I got that from the trailer on the Shameless website - not an ounce of exploitation in sight!!! Did Shameless release a bloody ART FILM :tsk: . . .

I'd definitely say it wouldn't be out of place in the Arthouse Atrocities thread!

It's best summed up as a giallo that Philip K. Dick would have written if he was Italian. :shocked:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th September 2011 08:34 PM

I've just started watching the excellent documentary Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Movie but, this afternoon/evening I've also seen:

HariKiri - A really interesting samurai drama in which a man, saying he will commit the titular act, recounts why he ended up there
The Last House on the Left - In the same way as The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and Cannibal Holocaust, this does diminish slightly in its power and ability to shock, but is still a really impressive film. I don't even mind the rubbish policemen!
Quatermass and the Pit - A classic Hammer Horror with a fascinating premise, great performances and effects which still stand up today. This BD looks and sounds terrific, but I'm going to watch it again with the commentary and doublecheck on the amount of DNR. I should have the review (along with that for HariKiri) up this weekend.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th September 2011 09:00 PM

Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Movie is my favourite horror doc. Probably seen it five times now, never get bored by it.

sawyer6 27th September 2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 185090)
I've just started watching the excellent documentary Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Movie but, this afternoon/evening I've also seen:

HariKiri - A really interesting samurai drama in which a man, saying he will commit the titular act, recounts why he ended up there
The Last House on the Left - In the same way as The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and Cannibal Holocaust, this does diminish slightly in its power and ability to shock, but is still a really impressive film. I don't even mind the rubbish policemen!
Quatermass and the Pit - A classic Hammer Horror with a fascinating premise, great performances and effects which still stand up today. This BD looks and sounds terrific, but I'm going to watch it again with the commentary and doublecheck on the amount of DNR. I should have the review (along with that for HariKiri) up this weekend.

I love Harakiri a true epic film in terms of story, and a great climax fight scene: over the top and realistic at the same time