Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179619Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th September 2011, 07:57 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Remains a gaping hole in my Refn viewing . . .
It's such a shoddy affair - don't know what I was expecting to be honest - Marple beheading a suspect perhaps

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 27th September 2011, 08:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Well I got through half of it about a week ago, so should really go back and start again! I was enjoying it, though it wasn't quite the instant love I felt for Fifth Cord. Have you seen Bazzoni's Footprints ? That's definitely my next Shameless puchase . . .
Footprints is an absolutely fascinating watch, but don't go expecting The Fifth Cord, very different and the Shameless cut is a bit of a collage (subs and dubbing come & go) but I like that kind of thing anyway.

Yeh, give SNOTGD and let me know what you make of it. I just love the premise so much and there is some superb cinematography in that too.

Old 27th September 2011, 08:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Was there any evidence of his directorial style? I imagine ITV have a tight control over what they want for their sunday night audience ...
Old 27th September 2011, 08:04 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Today I've watched:

All the Colours of the Dark - Edwige Fenech Really enjoyed this, incredibly atmospheric and creepy and well-directed overall in general. Felt like the ending was a little bit too abrupt and more could have been explained, but being a giallo I'm more than happy to let logic go out of the window a little

Arachnid - hmmm. Not great really. There was no tension in this at all, the characters just ambled from one mildy-perilous situation to the next.
Old 27th September 2011, 08:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
Footprints is an absolutely fascinating watch, but don't go expecting The Fifth Cord, very different
Yeah, I got that from the trailer on the Shameless website - not an ounce of exploitation in sight!!! Did Shameless release a bloody ART FILM . . .
Old 27th September 2011, 08:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Was there any evidence of his directorial style? I imagine ITV have a tight control over what they want for their sunday night audience ...
Nope. Just a hired hand by the sound of it. He talks about it briefly on the Bronson copmmentary or maybe the Valhalla Rising one? On of 'em anyway... I think...?

Old 27th September 2011, 08:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Yeah, I got that from the trailer on the Shameless website - not an ounce of exploitation in sight!!! Did Shameless release a bloody ART FILM . . .
I'd definitely say it wouldn't be out of place in the Arthouse Atrocities thread!

It's best summed up as a giallo that Philip K. Dick would have written if he was Italian.
Slippery Jack likes this.

Old 27th September 2011, 08:34 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just started watching the excellent documentary Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Movie but, this afternoon/evening I've also seen:

HariKiri - A really interesting samurai drama in which a man, saying he will commit the titular act, recounts why he ended up there
The Last House on the Left - In the same way as The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and Cannibal Holocaust, this does diminish slightly in its power and ability to shock, but is still a really impressive film. I don't even mind the rubbish policemen!
Quatermass and the Pit - A classic Hammer Horror with a fascinating premise, great performances and effects which still stand up today. This BD looks and sounds terrific, but I'm going to watch it again with the commentary and doublecheck on the amount of DNR. I should have the review (along with that for HariKiri) up this weekend.
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 27th September 2011, 09:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Movie is my favourite horror doc. Probably seen it five times now, never get bored by it.
Old 27th September 2011, 09:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've just started watching the excellent documentary Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Movie but, this afternoon/evening I've also seen:

HariKiri - A really interesting samurai drama in which a man, saying he will commit the titular act, recounts why he ended up there
The Last House on the Left - In the same way as The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and Cannibal Holocaust, this does diminish slightly in its power and ability to shock, but is still a really impressive film. I don't even mind the rubbish policemen!
Quatermass and the Pit - A classic Hammer Horror with a fascinating premise, great performances and effects which still stand up today. This BD looks and sounds terrific, but I'm going to watch it again with the commentary and doublecheck on the amount of DNR. I should have the review (along with that for HariKiri) up this weekend.
I love Harakiri a true epic film in terms of story, and a great climax fight scene: over the top and realistic at the same time

Like this? Share it using the links below!