Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st October 2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 186388)
- High Plains Drifter: one of Clint's best films. Atypical, but an extremely compelling and entertaining Western.

One of Eastwood's bests. Heard this was coming to blu-ray. Wonder what happened to it?

darthelvis 2nd October 2011 07:36 AM

Agree High Plains Drifter I awesome!

Went to see Kevin Smiths Red State and it was awesome. Don't want to give too much away but the script is fantastic and Michael Parks delivers a powerful performance. Well worth seeing!!!

Beyond72 2nd October 2011 08:36 AM

Pranks

My Bloody Valentine

Prince_Vajda 2nd October 2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 186424)
Pranks

My Bloody Valentine

Original or remake?

Greetings!

Beyond72 2nd October 2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 186426)
Original or remake?

Greetings!

Original - uncut. :nod:

I only noticed last night, that when Sarah jumps out of the mine cart towards the end, she goes straight into the wall! :pound: - Nice touch.

I thought the remake wasn't bad for a modern slasher, but Tom Atkins was wasted in a nothing role and the CGI gore (While fun in 3-D) doesn't come close to some of the twisted kills of the original.

Nemesis 2nd October 2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 186388)
- High Plains Drifter: one of Clint's best films. Atypical, but an extremely compelling and entertaining Western. Film stills will follow tomorrow in the respective thread!

- Vampyr: a fantastic experience! A very early Horror movie, beautifully shot - see the "Post Your Favourite Film Stills" thread for some stills - a review of this will follow tomorrow!

Greetings!

A terrific film - MoC did one hell of a job on this, plus you've two great commentaries by Guillermo and Tony Rayns, not to mention the booklet!

Nemesis 2nd October 2011 09:21 AM

Saw quite a few yesterday:

The Lighthouse - an Armenian drama with girl returning to her village in war time. I think that this is one of those films that one needs to know the context in which the story is set; I will read the booklet in due course, but for me it had too much of a detached quality, but it did have some emotional content and some decent shots.

Still Walking - Liked this quite a bit. Not as joyful or moving as some Ozu films (which it is said to be inspired by), it confronts some of the more unpleasant aspects in family life more directly than Ozu would - failed expectations, bereavement, fixed values and the refusal to compromise and adapt to new values. But still riveting stuff.

Doctor Who Creature from the Pit Episode 1 - Too early to judge; this one has a bit of a bad rep, but I like it so far.

Started on Footprints, but will finish it today.

Prince_Vajda 2nd October 2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 186430)
A terrific film - MoC did one hell of a job on this, plus you've two great commentaries by Guillermo and Tony Rayns, not to mention the booklet!

I wouldn't call it a booklet. It's got 80 pages - looks more like a book to me! :nod:

Greetings!

Rassilon 2nd October 2011 02:25 PM

I saw Flavia the Heretic today. A very slow and boring film with little reedeming features. The artwork and trailer makes out its going to be this film filled with big breasted nuns romping away and mindless torture, a kind of caligula...however the real film is anything but, filled with characters you couldn't care less about, boring storylines and nuns that look to much like real nuns.

Rik 2nd October 2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Chad (Post 186519)
I saw Flavia the Heretic today. A very slow and boring film with little reedeming features. The artwork and trailer makes out its going to be this film filled with big breasted nuns romping away and mindless torture, a kind of caligula...however the real film is anything but, filled with characters you couldn't care less about, boring storylines and nuns that look to much like real nuns.

I tried watching this last week, got about 15 minutes in before I turned it off and put on something else, boring as hell!

Violence is Italian Art